Reviews

• Nov 07, 2016

Quite good, although the Levin-Kitty angle, so crucial to the book, is given very little air time.

• Mar 26, 2016

Sad story of doomed russian lovers. Vivien leigh was great and i loved the russian 1900 aristocratic set designs and costumes. Makes you remember how important ur reputation was back then. I liked the script as well. Only thing was i wish they wouldve delved more into her spiraling mental state before she kills herself, seemed a bit rushed.

• Jun 03, 2015

Really quite intriguing considering the fact that the romance is competely doomed from the beginning. It's quite an accomplishment. THe subttleties are amazing. Great direction. The 2012 version sucks compared to this classic.

• Nov 06, 2013

Beautifully filmed, this adaption is as lush and romantic as Vivien Leigh, herself. The costumes and sets shine through the B&W filming - the problem is the shifty storytelling, which somehow jumps around and loses the viewer a bit. Still, worth a viewing, and certainly a delight to classic cinema lovers. 3 1/2+ stars

• Jun 08, 2013

I love that movie despite the critics. Ralph was wonderful!!!!

I love that movie despite the critics. Ralph was wonderful!!!!

• Jan 05, 2013

Classic! Vivien Leigh is so beautiful!

Classic! Vivien Leigh is so beautiful!

• Dec 09, 2012

It's a near impossible task to whittle Tolstoy's Anna Karenina down to a 2-hr movie. But this is a noble attempt, with fine performances from Vivien Leigh and Ralph Richardson, and a haunting soundtrack.

• Nov 06, 2012

I see nothing for us here but sorrow and despair. Anna Karenina is married with a son and resides in St. Petersburg Russia with her aristocrat husband. One inauspicious day she meets a young gentleman and they instantly fall in love and begin an affair. Her husband initially seeks a divorce but it gets complicated and Anna runs off with her love but losses access to her son. When she can't see her son for an extended period of time, she questions her relationships and existence. "Why not turn out the lights when there's nothing more to be seen?" Julien Duvivier, director of Deadlier than the Male, Under the Paris Sky, Panic, Captain Blackjack, On Trial, and The High Life, delivers Anna Karenina. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and the characters are well developed and portrayed. The cast delivers excellent performances and includes Vivien Leigh, Ralph Richardson, Sally Ann Howes, Michael Gough, and Marie Lohr. "In the name of love people think they can do anything." I was excited to watch Anna Karenina based on the upcoming remake scheduled for release later this month. I am also a fan of Vivien Leigh and was excited to see her in the lead role. I was thoroughly impressed by the evolution of her character and the ending was perfect. I strongly recommend seeing this picture. "She has that fatal blend of innocence and corruption." Grade: A-

• Oct 09, 2012

Fine adaptation of a fine novel.

Fine adaptation of a fine novel.

• Sep 29, 2012