Much Ado About Nothing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Much Ado About Nothing Reviews

November 12, 2017
Nothing more than a Kenneth Branagh vanity project. It's dull and a waste of time. If you are going to do Shakespeare do it right. (First and only viewing - 9/10/2017)
November 2, 2017
The casting decisions are odd and the atmosphere is extremely 90's, but it's obvious that everyone's having so much fun making it and the chemistry so strong that even the subpar direction, especially for Branagh, is almost automatically forgiven.
September 13, 2017
Sometimes tiringly big and loud, but always warm and full of joy.
½ April 23, 2017
Much Ado About nothing is a well-acted film of the Shakespearean play. It is set beautifully in a sunny Italian villa. It really helped me to understand the plot when I saw it acted but because of the language much of the humor and comedy was lost. This meant the film became pretty boring at times. I do think the actors carried the romance of the play through to the film well. The film also was correct in sticking closely to the play in my opinion. I think the overriding feeling of the film was I couldn't understand the humor but I'm sure if I could have it would be very entertaining.
By Luke Hamer
½ April 23, 2017
Much ado about nothing is a good film which really shows how the shakespearian / old english language was used in daily life.The film is very successful at presenting the play because the emotion of the storyline is the same throughout the film and the plot.The film gives a good judgement of how the characters would have felt and their emotions make it clearer and more easier to follow.Overall, i would rate this film highly due to its clear and accurate language and actions.
April 20, 2017
Enjoyable action all through the film was similar to the book
April 13, 2017
Much ado about everything - stays very true to Shakespeare's work and honestly presents Shakespeare's work through the language they used and the clothes they wear. However, I found some scenes confusing.
½ April 6, 2017
Much ado about nothing is a very good read and adapted into an equally good film with romance heartbreak jealousy heroics and triumph for its time which it was made it was very diverse with actors who seemed confident what I like about the film is how much I takes from the book it's complex vocabulary and certainly not for a light read I would say but the film is Very like the book I recommended this film
½ April 6, 2017
The play was a well lifted and spiritual play. The script, scenes, characters, dress etc was still kept the same from the Shakespearean times and was a fairly good play. The play is succesfully presented in the film becuase of the way the actors speak, dress and how they live daily life. You saw in some scenes people where washing but from wringing the water out over a bucket, and had very old - fashioned clothes. Also if you where a soldier, you had swords and knives at the ready. It was a good play with lots of Shakespearean times in there.
April 6, 2017
I thought it was a good film even though the language was Shakespearean.You can clearly understand the plot and the acting was good, especially Denzel Washington who showed to be a great Don Pedro.
Overall it was good film.
½ April 6, 2017
I think this film showed Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing very well but, it was hard to understand in places. I think it has an Ok storyline with a happy ending. I think the actors are very good and as a film it is ok.
½ December 9, 2016
Kenneth Branagh's cinematic version of this Shakespeare comedy is deeply rooted in the play's historical traditions. As such, it is buoyantly staged, boisterously scored, and encourages performances that flout anything resembling nuance. Emma Thompson is a passionate Beatrice and one can't help but suspect that she's drawing her intensity from the divorce she was currently going through with her director and co-star. This movie also benefits from distinguished turns by Denzel Washington and Robert Sean Leonard. The hammier acting from Keanu Reeves and Michael Keaton has been more widely debated (Reeves was "honored" with a Razzie nod for his Don John), but I felt that they both fit the mood that Branagh was going for.
September 24, 2016
Knowing next to nothing about Shakespear does not matter with this movie, dispite that the script is entirely that. It's not the star power of the movie that makes this movie outstanding, but the actual performances that they present.
January 27, 2016
You can appreciate it, even if you don't understand Shakespeare, but some of the motives of the characters seem kinda muddy.
January 23, 2016
Upon first viewing it at a young age I wasn't fond of it. Upon viewing it years later as an adult, I like it a lot. Another hit by Branagh.
January 21, 2016
gr8 version of this Shakespeare tale i wrote a paper on it 4 shakespeare class in college
January 11, 2016
Well, it's all fun and games. And Shakespeare.
½ January 2, 2016
An excellent, enjoyable treat
November 11, 2015
Love the imagery and music. One of my all time favorite movies.
Robert B.
October 5, 2015
Much Ado About Nothing is a playful and naive adaptation. Emma Thompson's performance is the best in the cast, with the rest lacking her zest. The directing is mostly uncinematic, with poor outdoor lighting but does have a couple of nice shots and sequences. Overall, the film is light entertainment and not high art.