Matilda - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Matilda Reviews

November 29, 2012
So touching, suspenseful, extreme, and campy! Mara Wilson had such a deep, sage-like voice, and all the recent 20-year reunion pics of the cast are adorbz.
thmtsang
July 7, 2007
Heart-warming movie about a girl with magical powers, a family who doesn't want her and a horrible teacher.
½ March 24, 2013
A charming and fun children's movie with some nice lead performances. It's nothing that hasn't been done before, but it does everything well enough to get a solid recommendation from me. It's just an entertaining and light-hearted film that will definitely resonate with its target crowd of younger children, but it made me feel like a kid at the same time. The film is smart and doesn't have juvenile humor or a half-baked story. It's actually a very well told story with a good message and is well directed by Danny DeVito. There's plenty of memorable characters played wonderfully by some lesser known actors/actresses. Imaginative and unique, Matilda is a movie that children of all ages will likely enjoy on some level, but also happens to be a worthwhile time for the whole family.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ December 11, 2011
Danny Devito's Matilda is again one of those films that you enjoy when you're young, but once you grow up, you realize that the film isn't what it used to be. I'm not a fan of Mara Wilson, and I think she is very annoying. With Matilda, Danny Devito adapts Roald Dahl's classic children's book to the screen, and he does a poor job at it to. I remember enjoying this film as a kid, but like I stated this is a film that you can only enjoy as a child, and grow tired of when you're older. Mara Wilson is a terrible actress, and I find she has very limited range. As for Danny Devito, he can play the rude, obnoxious type, and he's not very good here. This is a fairly boring film that I lost interest in. I felt that Matilda didn't hold up the test of time as so many other childhood films have. Matila is a terrible film that isn't that interesting. Only diehard fans of the book will most likely enjoy this, but I didn't. I thought that the film was very mediocre. The films two good actors, Embeth Davidtz and Pam Ferris makes this film slightly watchable Matilda hasn't stood the test of time, and for me is one of those films that you enjoy when you're young, but that you don't like when you're older. The film is pretty pointless and I don't see why this film has gotten praise. The result is a tired film that plainly doesn't cut it, and is over sentimental. I just feel that Matilda is a forgettable family film that is only worth watching once. Mara Wilson is depressing in the lead role, and it's really what makes this film pretty bad. Not a good family film like so many other films.
½ September 6, 2010
A fun, humorous, and exciting movie based on a great book. I loved this movie when I was younger, as well as the book. Matilda has at the heart of it a realistic look at issues of childhood and school systems and intelligence. Plus the movie has great actors, and it's entertaining for kids and adults alike.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
A childhood favourite and an absolute classic!
cosmo313
½ June 9, 2006
Charming, funny, and whimsical family film that makes me smile, even though it's a little girly.

DeVito is an alright director, and I liked the effects. The story is run-of-the-mill, but it's well done, and the performances are pretty good. I miss Mara Wilson. She was pretty and was also talented. I'd love to see her come back to the movies, and hope she does.
July 23, 2010
really boring. D
Chiefilms
½ February 23, 2010
This shiz was always on TV circa 1999, it's just a weird children's movie/book that I never really got into. I don't discriminate or really care about appereances but damn this might be one of the most ugly casts in the history of film. Matilda was cute in Mrs. Doubtfire but she got annoying real fast a la Harriet the Spy. Chill out with them library books man.
3niR
January 24, 2010
This movie doesn't make sense.
MeetMeinMontauk
½ May 24, 2009
Cute. Very cute.
ScoopOnline
December 7, 2009
This has to be one of the warmest Movies.
TomBowler
August 2, 2009
this is a beautiful light-hearted family flick. matilda is incredibly likeable, both to adults and children.
½ June 10, 2009
something turns me on about a fat kid eating cake and NOT liking it??
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ January 4, 2007
Unforgettable!!!! Matilda is a great story... Best Movie of 1996
May 28, 2007
this movie made me fall in love with mara wilson. she is SO talented.
½ May 19, 2007
Fantastic. It is so funny. I loved Ms. Trunchbull(sp?)
½ January 21, 2007
A surprisingly memorable kid's movie adapted from a splendid book.
deano
½ October 11, 2006
Great kid comedy story of a little girl with a big heart who discovers she has the power.
½ July 14, 2006
I remember loving this movie when I was a kid. The whole smarts-as-a-superpower theme I really liked, and it was so delicious when the bad people got their just desserts. This is a great kid's movie.