Matilda - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Matilda Reviews

½ November 12, 2017
Wonderfully speedy and savage adaptation of Roald Dahl's children's book, with Danny De Vito helming and co-starring (brilliantly). Carrie meets Nicholas Nickleby as book-loving prodigy Matilda rebels against her wilfully ignorant TV dinner parents and takes herself to school. Unfortunately, the grotesque Agatha Trunchbull (Pam Ferris in a series of deeply unflattering costumes) has decided that her academy would be far better without ghastly children... A riot, with a great screenplay and a good score by David Newman.
½ November 8, 2017
Great film. I have known a few car dealers almost as bad as Danny DeVito portrays.
October 12, 2017
A classic you could watch a million times
October 5, 2017
This movie is good. They force a chubby kid to eat cake until he passes out. Danny Devito is in it as a father and it's exactly what it would be like when Frank was raising Denise and Dee but he's a shitty car salesman. It's basically Carey as a light hearted children's movie and It's f***ing great!
September 23, 2017
Such a good movie that a lot of people enjoy watching and it's a silly movie as well I have watched this and you know it is a movie that calls to people to watch if you have read the book see the movie
July 24, 2017
Fun story. Very likable characters. Plenty of memorable scenes. FANTASTIC performances.

A comedic, but important story of how the drive for friendship and nurturing seems to spring forth from abuse and neglect. One of my favorite children's films of all time.
June 25, 2017
It's sweet when Ms Honey adopted Matilda
½ June 24, 2017
Classic family movie. Memorable scenes and really enjoyable.
½ May 15, 2017
One of the only times where I can honestly say I liked the movie better than the book.
May 6, 2017
Classic of course but also the great days of family cinema.
May 3, 2017
A great children's book!!! That I have read now it's a movie it's about a girl and she will have magic powers family and kids should see this one! from start to finish it was one I enjoyed
March 5, 2017
A dark but daring adaptation of Roald Dahl's greatest novel. The perfect ratio of humour to heartwarm.
March 5, 2017
this is a very good film
February 27, 2017
One of my favorite children's book.
February 11, 2017
Heart-warming and humourous, but light on the substance. Having only recently seen the musical before viewing the movie (or even reading the original, which I still haven't done), I can see where each of the performed versions has strengths and weaknesses - the musical has some leaps in the plot where the movie spells them out better (such as the musical's more sudden revelation of the eponymous lead's powers of telekinesis), but the musical delves into its relationships with more ease (possibly because of the presence of songs to investigate heightened emotion more). In both cases the body-shaming of Trunchbull (and to a lesser extent Bogtrotter) didn't sit well with me in a more modern context, but there are still moments of great humour to be found in the whole text. Wilson has the right amount of gumption and smarts to hold the title role, and Davidtz's Honey is sweet and articulate in support of Matilda's genius. Ferris, DeVito, and Perlman are perfectly hateable in their roles too.
½ February 5, 2017
Ending gets me every time ??
½ February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 29, 2017
Great film. Seen so many times I love it so much heart
½ December 31, 2016
Mesmerizing, fun and sweet from beginning to end. As a kid I loved this film and after re watching it recently I have a new found appreciation for this film and would recommend it to kids and adults alike for all to enjoy.
November 27, 2016
Great movie for all families!