Peter Benchley's The Beast Reviews

• Apr 09, 2020

Peter Benchley swaps flake for calamari in this watchable direct-to-TV event. The Beast is a flat-packed psychopathic animal thriller even an idiot could assemble; unexplained events leave an ethnically homogenous coastal town in terror, meek officials are in denial, all the dumbest people get it in the first act, and the humble hero does his life's work in one evening. This may sound drab, but similar to your inexpensive Scandinavian furniture made from plastic, it is also aesthetically pleasing and functional. William Petersen is charming and believable as a sullen fisherman but the squid steals the show.

• Nov 15, 2012

This is one example of how Hollywood can get an animal wrong. My favorite animals get a bad reputation from films like this. Giant squids were not seen alive by humans until 2004 and they as adults stay in the deep sea naturally. But I do admit that ther eis worse such as Jaws and what it causedf to happen to Great Whites for example.

• Dec 08, 2011

While this movie is decent, it is one of the poorest adaptations of a novel that I can think of. Benchley's novel is an extremely well written (if not a tad unoriginal) and slowly building story that echo's back to his masterpiece, 'Jaws'. This is a made for TV movie, so its hard to expect too much. The script, acting, effects, and overall direction are not particularly overwhelming. Taking these limitations into account however, we still get a decently made and entertaining movie. Alot of cheap plot devices (the baby squid fiasco, the Petersen/Sillas romantic tension, over exaggerated climax, etc) all stray far from the source material and don't add much to the final product. Still beats the snot out of pretty much any Sci-Fi original and 90% of other made for TV films.

• Oct 03, 2011

• Apr 10, 2011

A giant squid... so lame.

A giant squid... so lame.

• Aug 18, 2010

While this movie is decent, it is one of the poorest adaptations of a novel that I can think of. Benchley's novel is an extremely well written (if not a tad unoriginal) and slowly building story that echo's back to his masterpeice, 'Jaws'. This is a made for TV movie, so its hard to expect too much. The script, acting, effects, and overall direction are not particularly overwhelming. Taking these limitations into account however, we still get a decently made and entertaining movie. Alot of cheap plot devices (the baby squid fiasco, the Petersen/Sillas romantic tention, over exagerated climax, etc) all stray far from the source material and don't add much to the final product. Still beats the snot out of pretty much any Sci-fi original and 90% of other made for TV films.

• Aug 08, 2010

Probably the best giant squid movie ever.

Probably the best giant squid movie ever.

• Jul 15, 2010

Filmed three years after Jurassic Park and twenty-one years after Jaws, can't help but think that they could have tried a little harder with this in regards to creature CGI or animatronics. This aside though, Peterson leads the cast through a great creature feature; you can't help but cheer a little when the bad guys get eaten. All in all a good DVD purchase and one to add to the collection.

• May 02, 2010

Never could get sick of this movie.. I watched it when I was young and saw it for the first time since then a few weeks ago.. I remember being much more scared LoL.

• Aug 24, 2009