Hannibal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hannibal Reviews

½ June 5, 2017
I thought this was really good, I think I enjoyed it more than Red Dragon, but don't think it's as good of a movie.
½ April 22, 2017
An interesting sequel that always gains favors with me by fixing the strange ending of the novel in a way that was only surpassed by the TV series.
March 20, 2017
Both book and film feel 'made-for-the-money' in tone and method. Dispite some interestingly squirmish set-pieces, this is again a very lacking thriller.
February 20, 2017
Tries so hard to be disgusting that the end result is laughable... unlike its predecessor, which concentrated more on building the suspense of two intersecting plots. With the success of Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs, the failure of Hannibal Rising, and the TV show having two up seasons and one down third season, something about Hannibal is clearly evident: he's not that interesting on his own. Hannibal works best as a supporting character, an antagonist's distant helper, or a protagonist's intimate one. Anthony Hopkins had a record breaking short amount of screen time to earn himself an Oscar in Silence of the Lambs. Here, it's all him, and it's pretty boring. Amazingly, this poor installment of the franchise garnered a remake in the form of season 3 Hannibal, and my hopes for correcting past mistakes were nullified - it didn't work. It suffers the same problem of turning Hannibal into a horror film monster rather than a uniquely horrifying ally. Hannibal is best when he's useful, worst when all he's worth is death. He got away in Silence of the Lambs, and he got away again in Hannibal, but at this point, nobody really cares.
½ December 6, 2016
Mediocre horror film with amazing makeup effects.
December 3, 2016
This movie was a let down compared to the first addition. Hopkins delivers an amazing performance, as always, but the movie was lacking the substance it needed.
December 2, 2016
It is a pity that the psychological complexity of the previous film gives place to a bloated and not so engaging cat-and-mouse game that lacks the chemistry between the two characters and has a rather frustrating ending, being only worth it because of Lecter.
½ November 29, 2016
Most disappointing sequel I have ever seen. The worst part is it debuted on my birthday. I have more respect for Jodie Foster after she backed away from this mess
½ November 11, 2016
Holy shit this movie is garbage, so if your curious to see it after watching silence of the lambs just watch the last 15 minutes, you'll get your Hannibal fix while saving yourself time being tortured by this worthless film
½ October 26, 2016
kind of a dumb movie with a very different feel than the first one. much less psychological and more about the thrills. didn't keep me invested in a sub-par story (1 viewing)
½ September 17, 2016
3 and 1/2 stars.

While Hannibal is worth seeing, it is a disappointing sequel after the Silence of the Lambs. Hopkins plays Hannibal well, however doesn't come across as scary as in previous films.
July 21, 2016
1991's The Silence Of The Lambs Is One Of My Favorite Films.
½ July 15, 2016
There is a certain elegance that only Anthony brings to this performance...and is this movie's saving grace.
½ July 11, 2016
Boring at some parts, but the scenes that aren't are terrifying as Hopkins returns as Hannibal Lecter. And that ending. Oh fucking god, that ending. Julianne Moore is great as Clarice Sterling, and there are many great parts in this movie. But it's slow and not well paced, and the story is more often than not clumsy and very confusing.
June 10, 2016
Simply not that good in every way. Story, new characters, conclussion.
June 3, 2016
2 HUGE steps down(in this case, 2 stars) from A silence of the Lambs, this is more of a drama mystery than a horror film. There isn't much action until toward the end and I got bored at times but thanks to Ridley Scott, he captures it with style and makes the sequel at least decent.
April 16, 2016
Another chilling and superb performance from Hopkins. I cannot agree with the lukewarm reviews as posted. They obviously did not really see the film!!! Hopkins carries Hannibal to new heights of evil by an understated performance, bringing more evil and menace than any over the top performance. This can also be seen in the difference between Lon Chaney's hunchback as compared to Charles Laughton's in the Hunchback of Notre Dame....Laughton brings a humanity and "innocence" to Chaney's hideous monster. Hopkins brings an amount of "there but the grace of God go I".
Great Stuff. Sod the critics. What do they know anyway?
April 14, 2016
This film was very boring! couldnt wait for it to end
½ April 12, 2016
Not interesting at all really. Its just so stupidly directed and the music, cinematography and Julian Moore's performance show that. If they couldn't get Jodie Foster to return, THEN THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE MADE THE MOVIE