Hannibal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hannibal Reviews

September 25, 2017
Its more dysfunctional than silence of the lambs but certainly more gory. It has some very good moments but the majority is slow paced and boring.
September 17, 2017
Great continuation for a great movie!
½ August 30, 2017
Not great - should've brought back Jodie Foster.
A lot more action and gore than the other films in the Hannibal trilogy but not as clever or enjoyable
August 10, 2017
watch for the imaginative 'torture' scenes, don't expect a psychological thriller.
½ July 28, 2017
Sadly the only good thing about this movie is Anthony Hopkins. His performance is, as always amazing but the replacement of one of the main characters of the trilogy and scenes done without creativity, the hallmark clever remarks that Hannibal usually has in said scenes, and the very poor and amature gore left me confused. Do I take it seriously for the sake of Hopkin's acting or am I supposed to laugh? The brain scene looked like a bad attempt at comedy to be completely honest. So sad! </3
June 29, 2017
An entertaining follow-up to "Silence of the Lambs" I enjoyed Hopkins return to the screen as Hannibal Lecter. I was also impressed with Julianne Moore reprising Jodie Foster's role as Clarice Starling, she brought her own take to the character, but maintained much of Clarice's established character at the same time. Gary Oldman's appearance as a former protege of Lecter added a nice spin to the plot of the movie. All in all a good follow-up to its predecessor, with the excellent direction of one of my fav directors, Ridley Scott.
½ June 5, 2017
I thought this was really good, I think I enjoyed it more than Red Dragon, but don't think it's as good of a movie.
½ April 22, 2017
An interesting sequel that always gains favors with me by fixing the strange ending of the novel in a way that was only surpassed by the TV series.
March 20, 2017
Both book and film feel 'made-for-the-money' in tone and method. Dispite some interestingly squirmish set-pieces, this is again a very lacking thriller.
February 20, 2017
Tries so hard to be disgusting that the end result is laughable... unlike its predecessor, which concentrated more on building the suspense of two intersecting plots. With the success of Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs, the failure of Hannibal Rising, and the TV show having two up seasons and one down third season, something about Hannibal is clearly evident: he's not that interesting on his own. Hannibal works best as a supporting character, an antagonist's distant helper, or a protagonist's intimate one. Anthony Hopkins had a record breaking short amount of screen time to earn himself an Oscar in Silence of the Lambs. Here, it's all him, and it's pretty boring. Amazingly, this poor installment of the franchise garnered a remake in the form of season 3 Hannibal, and my hopes for correcting past mistakes were nullified - it didn't work. It suffers the same problem of turning Hannibal into a horror film monster rather than a uniquely horrifying ally. Hannibal is best when he's useful, worst when all he's worth is death. He got away in Silence of the Lambs, and he got away again in Hannibal, but at this point, nobody really cares.
½ December 6, 2016
Mediocre horror film with amazing makeup effects.
December 3, 2016
This movie was a let down compared to the first addition. Hopkins delivers an amazing performance, as always, but the movie was lacking the substance it needed.
December 2, 2016
It is a pity that the psychological complexity of the previous film gives place to a bloated and not so engaging cat-and-mouse game that lacks the chemistry between the two characters and has a rather frustrating ending, being only worth it because of Lecter.
½ November 29, 2016
Most disappointing sequel I have ever seen. The worst part is it debuted on my birthday. I have more respect for Jodie Foster after she backed away from this mess
½ November 11, 2016
Holy shit this movie is garbage, so if your curious to see it after watching silence of the lambs just watch the last 15 minutes, you'll get your Hannibal fix while saving yourself time being tortured by this worthless film
½ October 26, 2016
kind of a dumb movie with a very different feel than the first one. much less psychological and more about the thrills. didn't keep me invested in a sub-par story (1 viewing)
½ September 17, 2016
3 and 1/2 stars.

While Hannibal is worth seeing, it is a disappointing sequel after the Silence of the Lambs. Hopkins plays Hannibal well, however doesn't come across as scary as in previous films.
July 21, 2016
1991's The Silence Of The Lambs Is One Of My Favorite Films.
½ July 15, 2016
There is a certain elegance that only Anthony brings to this performance...and is this movie's saving grace.