Hannibal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hannibal Reviews

½ September 17, 2016
3 and 1/2 stars.

While Hannibal is worth seeing, it is a disappointing sequel after the Silence of the Lambs. Hopkins plays Hannibal well, however doesn't come across as scary as in previous films.
July 21, 2016
1991's The Silence Of The Lambs Is One Of My Favorite Films.
½ July 15, 2016
There is a certain elegance that only Anthony brings to this performance...and is this movie's saving grace.
½ July 11, 2016
Boring at some parts, but the scenes that aren't are terrifying as Hopkins returns as Hannibal Lecter. And that ending. Oh fucking god, that ending. Julianne Moore is great as Clarice Sterling, and there are many great parts in this movie. But it's slow and not well paced, and the story is more often than not clumsy and very confusing.
June 10, 2016
Simply not that good in every way. Story, new characters, conclussion.
June 3, 2016
2 HUGE steps down(in this case, 2 stars) from A silence of the Lambs, this is more of a drama mystery than a horror film. There isn't much action until toward the end and I got bored at times but thanks to Ridley Scott, he captures it with style and makes the sequel at least decent.
April 16, 2016
Another chilling and superb performance from Hopkins. I cannot agree with the lukewarm reviews as posted. They obviously did not really see the film!!! Hopkins carries Hannibal to new heights of evil by an understated performance, bringing more evil and menace than any over the top performance. This can also be seen in the difference between Lon Chaney's hunchback as compared to Charles Laughton's in the Hunchback of Notre Dame....Laughton brings a humanity and "innocence" to Chaney's hideous monster. Hopkins brings an amount of "there but the grace of God go I".
Great Stuff. Sod the critics. What do they know anyway?
April 14, 2016
This film was very boring! couldnt wait for it to end
½ April 12, 2016
Not interesting at all really. Its just so stupidly directed and the music, cinematography and Julian Moore's performance show that. If they couldn't get Jodie Foster to return, THEN THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE MADE THE MOVIE
½ April 7, 2016
Minding his own business over in Florence, Italy, Dr. Lector soon finds his own fame intrusive to the type of quiet lifestyle he wishes. Hopkins obviously loves his doctor but is not really given enough to work with (lacking the presence of Buffalo Bill) other than a curious but very interesting relationship with Starling. Julianne Moore (despite my love affair with J. Foster) does well as our brave FBI agent. G. Oldman joins the cast for mere shock value.
½ April 5, 2016
I do not know why people like this movie. It is awful. It the 3rd Hannibal movie. The 1st one was Manhuner. That one was really scary. It is a lot better then this crap. The Manhuner remake Red dragon is a great movie. A lot better then this. Hannibal rising is a better movie. And Hannibal rising sucked.
March 25, 2016
Anthony Hopkins stood out, but not much else held my attention.
½ March 20, 2016
After the absolute masterpiece that was Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal was always gonna have a difficult time following it up. However this film is directed by Ridley Scott and has a really good cast with Julianne Moore, Anthony Hopkins, Gary Oldman and Ray Liotta. You would think this would be great but Hannibal is very mediocre and boring and extremely dissapointing. However this film has its positives. The biggest positive is without a doubt Anthony Hopkins who does a great job and while he's not as creepy or scary as he was in Silence of the Lambs he still out acts everyone and puts in a great job. The rest of the acting is fairly mixed. The guy who plays Matthis in Casino Royale does a very good job but suprisingly the rest of the acting is quite bland. Julianne Moore is a great actress but she doesn't play Clarice very well. Her performance isn't bad but it's a bit wooden and Clarice is now down badass no nonsense cop, whereas in Silence of the Lambs she was tough yet you could tell she was scared which made her more likeable. Gary Oldman plays Mason Verger and again he's very mediocre and wooden which is a a shame as Mason Verger is supposed to be Hannibal's nemesis. Ray Liotta also pops up and again he's a great actor but he's very bland here. Ridley Scott is a great director but here he does a pretty mediocre job and this is one of his worst. The opening of this film is absolutely pointless as we get this big shootout that is not needed at all. Also in some of the scenes Scott has the scene be all blurry and it's really annoying. Scott didn't do an awful job but I feel like anyone could have directed this film. The writing here is alright as I find the film to be quite entertaining while Hannibal is in Italy but once we leave Italy this film takes a massive nose dive in quality. Silence of the Lambs is a scary film and the Hannibal series is very creepy and disturbing but this film just isn't scary. There are a few tense moments like the scenes between the Italian detective and Hannibal which are the best scenes in the film but apart from that I wasn't scared at all. I didn't really care about any of the characters so in the intense moments I wasn't feeling a thing. This film relies much more on gore rather than disturbing imagery and I don't think it works here. A lot of the disturbing gory scenes I don't think really work. The infamous brain scene while disgusting is rather silly and I don't think it's handled that well and doesn't have the punch a scene like that should have. The ending of this film is alright. As I said some of its a bit silly but the ending is rather dull and isn't very tense or suspenseful. However the very ending on the plane I think is very good and quite creepy, it was the one time Hopkins felt nearly as creepy as he was in Silence of the Lambs. It's a good ending and even though I prefer the alternate ending they had planned, it's still a good ending. While Hannibal has a great performance from Hopkins and some very tense moments and a good ending, this film is very mediocre and extremely dissapointing when compared to the film that came before it. It's okay but there are much better Hannibal films and the amazing Hannibal tv show starring Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy did a much better job at telling this story. X-
March 19, 2016
This was silence of the lambs without the intriguing and intense drama that is presented by agent Starling in silence of the lambs. Nonetheless it could've been worse... It could've ended the way the original book did (which in my opinion was too much of a wacky ending). Hopkins is the man.
March 5, 2016

escaped from her custody several years previously. Meanwhile, Lecter is
living in Italy. However, an Italian policeman has worked out who he
is. One of Lecter's victims (of sorts), Mason Verger, is also out to
track him down...

There was no way this was ever going to come close to the quality of
Silence of the Lambs. For a good part of this movie, however, director
Ridley Scott does give it a good try. The set up was a bit slow but
once things started coming together, the moving was quite enthralling.
At no stage does it have the psychological aspects and tension of
Silence of the Lambs, but it was interesting nevertheless.

The conclusion ruins some of this good work, however. The wrap up with
the one foe seems rushed, and too easy. Then the wrap up with the other
is drawn out too much and has goriness just for the sake of goriness.
Throw in a few implausibilities, contrivances and a very shallow
attempt at a psychological or philosophical reason for what is going on
and the ending is very disappointing.

Good work by Anthony Hopkins and Julianne Moore (replacing Jodie
Foster) in the lead roles. Ray Liotta is a quite hammy as Krendler (or
maybe his character was just written very badly - could be both). Gary
Oldman is in the cast too, but you definitely won't recognise him...

Overall, it's okay, but could have been a lot better.
February 25, 2016
awesomely creepy sequel tio best picture winner 'the silence of the lambs'
December 17, 2015
I love Julianne Moore to bits and pieces, but the only really interesting parts of this movie were when Lecter was taunting Pazzi and then, y'know, hung his gutted corpse out a window. Oh, no, I lied. The part where he fed a guy his own brain was pretty great, too. So gross. But the kiss between Clarice and Lecter.... no. That is a thing I really can't ship at all.
November 9, 2015
this was a ok movie kinda weird and creepy but it wasn't bad
½ November 2, 2015