Hannibal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hannibal Reviews

½ March 25, 2018
It's interesting to see a film where the powers-that-be in Hollywood took a look at a film -- "The Silence Of The Lambs" -- upgraded the writing and directing team -- Jonathan Demme for Ridley Scott and both David Mamet and Steven Zaillian for Ted Tally -- for the sequel, and then ultimately ended up with an inferior product; "Hannibal." Honestly, this might've just skirted by the societal stain of being one of the most disappointing sequels of all time. To take a Best Picture winning film that's so highly regarded for being one of the most intense, intriguing, and high-stakes thrillers of all time, and then follow it up with something so sluggishly paced, plain, and languid ought to be thrown more shade. Still, the tone and air of everything present helps give the audience just enough to stay in their seats. Shout-out to some really creepy score work from Hans Zimmer and a really brilliant set of opening credits.
½ February 28, 2018
Whilst not terrible, Julianne Moore is given a thankless task in replacing Jodie Foster and the movie as a whole just seems a lot sillier and less believable. Watchable but not up to the standard of Silence of the Lambs.
February 20, 2018
***
This is a really difficult movie to review. Objectively, Ridley Scott's 'Hannibal' has some huge problems. It's overlong, it drags at points and there are some ridiculous moments thrown in throughout. The biggest issue, however, is the character of Clarice Sterling, played magnificently by Jodie Foster in 'The Silence of the Lambs'. Here, it's not just that Julianne Moore can't match her performance, but the character itself just isn't really the same. You never get a sense of Clarice as a person, and as a result I could never get invested when she was on screen. This stands out in particular, because it was one of, if not THE, defining feature of the previous movie. This, in my opinion, is the movie's biggest downfall.

However, all that being said, there are some terrific aspects to 'Hannibal'. In terms of creating a tone, a mood - an atmosphere - this film succeeds with flying colours. It also manages to set a completely different tone to 'Silence', which was good, as it would have been very easy to try and copy that films success. Scott does make this movie his own, and whether it's Hannibal's scenes at the opera, or his 'dinner party' with Clarice at the end, there are some truly memorable moments littered throughout. Anthony Hopkins, this time featuring much more heavily, also shines. Whilst one feels his role was better suited to that of a supporting character, I truly think Scott and his team did the best they could with this particular plot-line. The film is typically well-made, and you are left with the eerie, lasting impact of what you've watched when the credits role.

So, even despite this movie's blatant flaws, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It may be far from perfect, but you can't deny that it leaves you with a unique, memorable feeling. Impressive and flawed all at once.
½ January 29, 2018
A Disturbing Obsession, Or Love Story? With A Cannibal?? You Gotta Be Pretty Desperate. How'd He Even Escape His Original Capture!? The Music Was Nice, The Company Wasn't, All Too Murky & Morbid.
January 6, 2018
Julianne Moore did poor acting. Totally lacked the intensity and suspense from the first movie.
December 27, 2017
No disrespect to Moore but Foster is a big miss. Surprise decision for Scott to opt for grotesquely staging most scenes when his less is more approach on Alien would have been better.
A poor adaption of the book in the end and a forgettable movie.
December 5, 2017
The same way in which films are rated against the first release, try just judging a film on its own merits, this one is really quite good
½ October 2, 2017
Hannibal has less to do with character and more about location and shock factor.
September 25, 2017
Its more dysfunctional than silence of the lambs but certainly more gory. It has some very good moments but the majority is slow paced and boring.
September 17, 2017
Great continuation for a great movie!
½ August 30, 2017
Not great - should've brought back Jodie Foster.
A lot more action and gore than the other films in the Hannibal trilogy but not as clever or enjoyable
August 10, 2017
watch for the imaginative 'torture' scenes, don't expect a psychological thriller.
½ July 28, 2017
Sadly the only good thing about this movie is Anthony Hopkins. His performance is, as always amazing but the replacement of one of the main characters of the trilogy and scenes done without creativity, the hallmark clever remarks that Hannibal usually has in said scenes, and the very poor and amature gore left me confused. Do I take it seriously for the sake of Hopkin's acting or am I supposed to laugh? The brain scene looked like a bad attempt at comedy to be completely honest. So sad! </3
June 29, 2017
An entertaining follow-up to "Silence of the Lambs" I enjoyed Hopkins return to the screen as Hannibal Lecter. I was also impressed with Julianne Moore reprising Jodie Foster's role as Clarice Starling, she brought her own take to the character, but maintained much of Clarice's established character at the same time. Gary Oldman's appearance as a former protege of Lecter added a nice spin to the plot of the movie. All in all a good follow-up to its predecessor, with the excellent direction of one of my fav directors, Ridley Scott.
½ June 5, 2017
I thought this was really good, I think I enjoyed it more than Red Dragon, but don't think it's as good of a movie.
½ April 22, 2017
An interesting sequel that always gains favors with me by fixing the strange ending of the novel in a way that was only surpassed by the TV series.
March 20, 2017
Both book and film feel 'made-for-the-money' in tone and method. Dispite some interestingly squirmish set-pieces, this is again a very lacking thriller.
February 20, 2017
Tries so hard to be disgusting that the end result is laughable... unlike its predecessor, which concentrated more on building the suspense of two intersecting plots. With the success of Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs, the failure of Hannibal Rising, and the TV show having two up seasons and one down third season, something about Hannibal is clearly evident: he's not that interesting on his own. Hannibal works best as a supporting character, an antagonist's distant helper, or a protagonist's intimate one. Anthony Hopkins had a record breaking short amount of screen time to earn himself an Oscar in Silence of the Lambs. Here, it's all him, and it's pretty boring. Amazingly, this poor installment of the franchise garnered a remake in the form of season 3 Hannibal, and my hopes for correcting past mistakes were nullified - it didn't work. It suffers the same problem of turning Hannibal into a horror film monster rather than a uniquely horrifying ally. Hannibal is best when he's useful, worst when all he's worth is death. He got away in Silence of the Lambs, and he got away again in Hannibal, but at this point, nobody really cares.
½ December 6, 2016
Mediocre horror film with amazing makeup effects.
December 3, 2016
This movie was a let down compared to the first addition. Hopkins delivers an amazing performance, as always, but the movie was lacking the substance it needed.