Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Planet of the Apes Reviews

½ February 10, 2018
Entertaining if you don't think about it too much
½ January 22, 2018
Many years in the waiting, finally the Planet of the Apes remake made it on the screen after years and years of lingering, it ended up with a Burton directed, Wahlberg staring ...meh...film. In this remake, an ape constantly referred to as a monkey that is being trained to fly space ships ? is lost and Mark Wahlberg's character Leo goes after him only to find himself in the future. Like the original he is chased by the apes and rounded up with a group of primitive humans. We see Burton's vision of Ape Planet, and the film makers decided to go with make up and prosthetics instead of CGI, it was a good call as the CGI would not have been up to par in 2001, the new Planet of the Apes showed it was possible to make great CGI apes, but that is now, and this was then. This film again suffers from a watered down and confusing social and philosophical commentary, the caste system is gone, gone is the conflict of race, nuclear war and religion. Instead there are call backs to some of the other Ape films, with humans as pets etc. The humans however primitive do not act that way so again there is some confusion, and the twist at the end is funnier than it is original, the movie lends itself to some silliness that has a B movie quality to it, so it is watchable, but is very much more inferior product.
½ December 27, 2017
This does not hold a candle to the original and never really tries to. More of a sequel/reimagined sequel to the original. Mark Wahlberg is miscast but the apes are a delight with Tim Roth delivering a menacing portrayal.
Along with a chilling if confusing last scene
½ December 20, 2017
This remake/reimagining of the 1968 classic starts on the right foot with a captivating introduction that differs from the original's. Also Rick Baker's makeup and prosthetics are very good and Paul Giamatti is terrific. Yet somehow the film falls short. It can't measure up to the original narratively or thematically and therefore emerges as both less captivating and more superficial. But even without making this comparison, it's haphazardly written and only mildly thrilling at best.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 5.5

Remake innecesario. Muy extraño.
November 12, 2017
Though it is not even close to as intelligent as the first film from 1968 was I still find it very entertaining. The writing is poor at times and some of the lines are delivered in a cheesy manner, but it is still a solid reinvention from Tim Burton. It was the first of these movies that I saw, so it essentially introduced to me to the series. I still enjoy it! (First viewing - Teen years)
½ September 24, 2017
Tim Burton put this development hell movie in theaters and it sent us to hell. Tim, why did you make this when you should have made another Edward Scissorhands movie?
½ August 29, 2017
Tim Burton's f***** up Planet of the Apes!
½ August 17, 2017
Just an atrocious movie. 2 hours of my life I will never get back.
½ August 11, 2017
A boring slog of a movie, with an ending that makes absolutely no sense at all.

The costumes and make-up are good, but apart from Tim Roth and M.C Duncan's performances the rest are forgettable, being particularly hampered by a terrible script and some weird action sequences.
August 7, 2017
This was a terrible remake. The make up was good and some of the action was decent. But the plot was forgettable and the acting was not good. This is one of the worst Planet of the apes movies.

3.8/10
August 4, 2017
It is what everyone knew it would be. A corny late 90's early 2000's remake of a classic. It's a fun concept, and its okay to watch after you have seen the other movies. Do not let this be your first Planet of The Apes movie.
August 1, 2017
I like this movie, it was good. Don't listen to those emo Tim Burton fans that only want to watch movies that make you want to commit suicide or cut yourself. Tim can make a decent movie to without all that other dark crap! this was a good movie.
½ July 31, 2017
It lacks a lot of the satirical nuance of the original film, replacing it instead with more sci-fi and action, and is pretty much totally unnecessary as a result, but it's enjoyable unsubstantial popcorn nonsense nonetheless.
½ July 30, 2017
Puntaje Original: 5.5

Remake innecesario. Muy extraño.
July 26, 2017
A pointless remake which removes all the intelligence, character and charm of the original, gone are the social commentary and satire and in their place generic blockbuster tropes in half-hearted hero's journey with a bland protagonist. The supporting cast are good actors and are more entertaining, although aren't given much to challenge them. They look better than the old films, but this is inferior in every other regard.
July 17, 2017
Well, this was a total letdown. I had some hope for this film, what with Tim Burton being involved and me having fond memories of the original 1968 film. Now I really just want those two hours of my life back ...
July 13, 2017
Impressive cinematography does not even come close to redeem this bizarre, dull and unnecessary reboot.
July 12, 2017
Over the years I've grown a little more fond of this film version of Pierre Boullere's classic novel. More of re imagining of the source material as opposed to a remake of 1968 Sci Fi masterpiece, I hated this movie when it first came out. Funny thing was, at this time, I wasn't quite fond of the original movie. I love them all now, because I understand them. This movie's sets and art design are top notch. Rick Baker's work on the ape makeup is second to none. As well as the performances by Tim Roth, Helena Bonham Carter, Paul Giammanti, Cary-Hiroyoki Tagawa and Michael Clarke Duncan are earnest and perfect. I am a huge Burton fan, so I kept giving it another chance. Upon further review, I've concluded it has a few small flaws and one huge one. The small ones could've been solved if Tim wasn't rushed to meet a release date. A friend asked me what did you hate about this movie, I could only come up with one answer. The ending. I understand it was setting up a sequel but yikes. So there you go. Not the worst Apes movie. Bottom 3 but not worst.