Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Planet of the Apes Reviews

July 17, 2017
Well, this was a total letdown. I had some hope for this film, what with Tim Burton being involved and me having fond memories of the original 1968 film. Now I really just want those two hours of my life back ...
July 13, 2017
Impressive cinematography does not even come close to redeem this bizarre, dull and unnecessary reboot.
July 12, 2017
Over the years I've grown a little more fond of this film version of Pierre Boullere's classic novel. More of re imagining of the source material as opposed to a remake of 1968 Sci Fi masterpiece, I hated this movie when it first came out. Funny thing was, at this time, I wasn't quite fond of the original movie. I love them all now, because I understand them. This movie's sets and art design are top notch. Rick Baker's work on the ape makeup is second to none. As well as the performances by Tim Roth, Helena Bonham Carter, Paul Giammanti, Cary-Hiroyoki Tagawa and Michael Clarke Duncan are earnest and perfect. I am a huge Burton fan, so I kept giving it another chance. Upon further review, I've concluded it has a few small flaws and one huge one. The small ones could've been solved if Tim wasn't rushed to meet a release date. A friend asked me what did you hate about this movie, I could only come up with one answer. The ending. I understand it was setting up a sequel but yikes. So there you go. Not the worst Apes movie. Bottom 3 but not worst.
½ July 10, 2017
My God this is awful. I felt like I was throwing up in my mouth the entire movie.
July 10, 2017
A full reimagining of the original franchise. Wahlberg is a less compelling lead than Heston, as is the story overall. At least the monkey kissing is less awkward.
May 29, 2017
Tim Burton's remake of Planet of the Apes is such a butchered, misguided and thoroughly unappealing effort that I was surprised that he made such a bad movie as his movies are usually very good. The costumes are admittedly very good, but Mark Wahlberg's performance here is so bad, the film is overly dark and action oriented and the plot is one giant incomprehensible nonsense leading to one of the director's worst films and one of the worst remakes I've seen.
½ May 12, 2017
O filme tem umas atuações ruins e o Mark Wahlberg tem umas expressões de... como posso dizer... Mark Wahlberg, os humanos são inúteis e não servem para nada, o que mais da raiva é o menino que só faz alguma coisa no final do filme. E ainda tem aquele vendedor de humanos alívio cômico. Tem o beijo do Mark Wahlberg e a símia. Uma coisa boa do filme é a maquiagem dos macacos que é muito boa, mas uma coisa muito boa desse filme é que sem ele não existiria os filmes novos. Uma coisa boa e ruim e parece que esse filme não é dirigido pelo Tim Burton, não tem o estilo escuro dele sabe. Durante o filme tem essas cheiradas de macacos e esses chiliques também.
May 6, 2017
The original 1968 Planet of the Apes is a classic, and always will be. It was new for the time, and was an extremely fresh and exciting look at the future world. Is this a good film? No. Not at all. This isn't even hilariously bad, it's just a flat-out terrible film. The script is the worst. 30 years ago, this film would've been great, but this is supposed to be a serious film, and the way it is presented doesn't allow it to be taken seriously. This looks like a film that should've been made in the 80's, thanks to its terrible acting and cheesy ending, as well as the horrible jokes that are meant to deliver but fail to send. The action is dull and boring, colorless and uninventive. It's nothing that hasn't been seen before, and Burton has proven on numerous occasions that he can do far better. A bunch of monkeys jumping around like frogs and hitting each other isn't appealing anymore, and while it may have worked three decades ago, it certainly doesn't now. The characters are also insanely bland, acting as clichés for the story. None of them have any major development and are simply used as plot devices to move the story forward instead of characters you can actually care for. Don't bother watching this garbage. It's not worth your time.
March 20, 2017
Burton's worst film? Certainly a contender
March 14, 2017
A stirring intro theme from the master danny elfman, and great performances/make-up effects fade through the rather un-intriguing story.
½ February 3, 2017
Probably Burtons worst movie, which says a lot. Some kind of remake also, putting men in to the roles of slaves while dumb apes rule the so-called little world. Seldom does Wahlberg carry a movie, but in this case it really isnt his fault, even though his acting is horrible.
January 7, 2017
tries to follow the original with the tones and the typical and dark atmosphere of Tim Burton
January 5, 2017
This movie takes the perfect message and thought provoking commentary of the original source and gives it an incredibly insufferable and insulting spin. There are more holes in this plot than in a bee hive and the only things that they keep from the original is either handled poorly or made fun of. The action scenes are weirdly choreographed and surves no purpose and every single one of these great actors has nothing of substance to work with. Sure, Tim Roth seems to have a lot of fun playing his role, but other than that this movie is a massive, boring piece of garbage with one of the worst cop-out endings to ever hit the block buster standards. Hands down, one of the worst remakes (or reboots) ever made. 2/10
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 25, 2016
This one of Tim Burton's best movies
November 15, 2016
An inferior remake that lacks the political undercurrent of the original film.
September 15, 2016
Reinventing a classic film is one thing, but if you're going to remake something beloved by film fans worldwide, do it for a reason. This Planet of the Apes reboot brings little to nothing new to the series with a brutally dull outcome.

Look, it's easier said than done. Remakes and reboots have a lot of pressure and usually wind up being a waste of time. But there was serious potential here. With Tim Burton coming off a few solid films with Johnny Depp and box office success with Batman, you'd think he would have a grapple on what to do with the Apes franchise. Sadly, it was the exact opposite.

The original 1968 classic was thought provoking and lead to a couple really well done sequels, but Burton's take is disappointingly more creepy and awkward than it is cerebral. I'm sorry, but I just don't care for seeing Mark Wahlberg have a strange romantic relationship with a female ape. Or, rather, an equally dull relationship with a human, played by Estella Warren. No chemistry between the two, whatsoever.

But there are a few redeemable qualities surprisingly. Instead of a massive Statue of Liberty reveal at the end, Burton makes a few middle act changes that actually benefit the story in the long run. Having the very cause of the apes taking over earth being due to Wahlberg's mistake was interesting, but I'm just not sure it was earned. Something else that wasn't earned is the entire third act. Talk about an atrocious piece of mess, the third act tries to propose so many ideas and take twists and turns that it just all feels tiresome. Unfortunately, by the time the big battle comes around, you just don't care.

It's easy to look at a film in hindsight and say it shouldn't have been made, but seriously, this Apes entry should not have been made. It wasn't yet the time where visual effects offered up the opportunity to do great motion capture or picture perfect-looking Apes (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, 2014) and using old make-up was the wrong choice. It's nice for the 60's but using it in 2001 is a completely different entity. But the main problem is that the characters and story are second to an attempt to build out impressive set pieces. Tim Roth's one-note villain and the film's choice for romances make for one brutal viewing.

+Some interesting subtle changes

-Lack of reinvention

-Awkward romances

-No reason for 2001 to be the time for a remake

4.6/10
½ September 4, 2016
Aside from the impressive makeup jobs, Planet of the Apes doesn't have much to offer. The plot is bland and predictable, with a heavy-handed message and an unnecessarily confusing ending. The acting is over-the-top and uneven, as well. This doesn't feel like a Tim Burton movie, which could be a good thing, because Burton should distance himself from this mess as much as possible.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Pretty good in places wierd in others could of been great if given to a director who doesn't make everything he touch dark as hell, Nark Wahlberg does well and the battle scene at the end was ok but apart from that there's not much to take away.
July 28, 2016
Planet of the Apes remake was decently made. The story was mindless, fast-paced, and nothing to do with the original. However, Planet of the Apes managed to be entertaining, with its visuals, B-movie charms, and action made Planet of the Apes a ok flick.