Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Planet of the Apes Reviews

½ August 17, 2017
Just an atrocious movie. 2 hours of my life I will never get back.
½ August 11, 2017
A boring slog of a movie, with an ending that makes absolutely no sense at all.

The costumes and make-up are good, but apart from Tim Roth and M.C Duncan's performances the rest are forgettable, being particularly hampered by a terrible script and some weird action sequences.
August 7, 2017
This was a terrible remake. The make up was good and some of the action was decent. But the plot was forgettable and the acting was not good. This is one of the worst Planet of the apes movies.

3.8/10
August 4, 2017
It is what everyone knew it would be. A corny late 90's early 2000's remake of a classic. It's a fun concept, and its okay to watch after you have seen the other movies. Do not let this be your first Planet of The Apes movie.
August 1, 2017
I like this movie, it was good. Don't listen to those emo Tim Burton fans that only want to watch movies that make you want to commit suicide or cut yourself. Tim can make a decent movie to without all that other dark crap! this was a good movie.
½ July 31, 2017
It lacks a lot of the satirical nuance of the original film, replacing it instead with more sci-fi and action, and is pretty much totally unnecessary as a result, but it's enjoyable unsubstantial popcorn nonsense nonetheless.
½ July 30, 2017
Puntaje Original: 5.5

Remake innecesario. Muy extraño.
July 26, 2017
A pointless remake which removes all the intelligence, character and charm of the original, gone are the social commentary and satire and in their place generic blockbuster tropes in half-hearted hero's journey with a bland protagonist. The supporting cast are good actors and are more entertaining, although aren't given much to challenge them. They look better than the old films, but this is inferior in every other regard.
July 17, 2017
Well, this was a total letdown. I had some hope for this film, what with Tim Burton being involved and me having fond memories of the original 1968 film. Now I really just want those two hours of my life back ...
July 13, 2017
Impressive cinematography does not even come close to redeem this bizarre, dull and unnecessary reboot.
July 12, 2017
Over the years I've grown a little more fond of this film version of Pierre Boullere's classic novel. More of re imagining of the source material as opposed to a remake of 1968 Sci Fi masterpiece, I hated this movie when it first came out. Funny thing was, at this time, I wasn't quite fond of the original movie. I love them all now, because I understand them. This movie's sets and art design are top notch. Rick Baker's work on the ape makeup is second to none. As well as the performances by Tim Roth, Helena Bonham Carter, Paul Giammanti, Cary-Hiroyoki Tagawa and Michael Clarke Duncan are earnest and perfect. I am a huge Burton fan, so I kept giving it another chance. Upon further review, I've concluded it has a few small flaws and one huge one. The small ones could've been solved if Tim wasn't rushed to meet a release date. A friend asked me what did you hate about this movie, I could only come up with one answer. The ending. I understand it was setting up a sequel but yikes. So there you go. Not the worst Apes movie. Bottom 3 but not worst.
½ July 10, 2017
My God this is awful. I felt like I was throwing up in my mouth the entire movie.
July 10, 2017
A full reimagining of the original franchise. Wahlberg is a less compelling lead than Heston, as is the story overall. At least the monkey kissing is less awkward.
May 29, 2017
Tim Burton's remake of Planet of the Apes is such a butchered, misguided and thoroughly unappealing effort that I was surprised that he made such a bad movie as his movies are usually very good. The costumes are admittedly very good, but Mark Wahlberg's performance here is so bad, the film is overly dark and action oriented and the plot is one giant incomprehensible nonsense leading to one of the director's worst films and one of the worst remakes I've seen.
½ May 12, 2017
O filme tem umas atuações ruins e o Mark Wahlberg tem umas expressões de... como posso dizer... Mark Wahlberg, os humanos são inúteis e não servem para nada, o que mais da raiva é o menino que só faz alguma coisa no final do filme. E ainda tem aquele vendedor de humanos alívio cômico. Tem o beijo do Mark Wahlberg e a símia. Uma coisa boa do filme é a maquiagem dos macacos que é muito boa, mas uma coisa muito boa desse filme é que sem ele não existiria os filmes novos. Uma coisa boa e ruim e parece que esse filme não é dirigido pelo Tim Burton, não tem o estilo escuro dele sabe. Durante o filme tem essas cheiradas de macacos e esses chiliques também.
May 6, 2017
The original 1968 Planet of the Apes is a classic, and always will be. It was new for the time, and was an extremely fresh and exciting look at the future world. Is this a good film? No. Not at all. This isn't even hilariously bad, it's just a flat-out terrible film. The script is the worst. 30 years ago, this film would've been great, but this is supposed to be a serious film, and the way it is presented doesn't allow it to be taken seriously. This looks like a film that should've been made in the 80's, thanks to its terrible acting and cheesy ending, as well as the horrible jokes that are meant to deliver but fail to send. The action is dull and boring, colorless and uninventive. It's nothing that hasn't been seen before, and Burton has proven on numerous occasions that he can do far better. A bunch of monkeys jumping around like frogs and hitting each other isn't appealing anymore, and while it may have worked three decades ago, it certainly doesn't now. The characters are also insanely bland, acting as clichés for the story. None of them have any major development and are simply used as plot devices to move the story forward instead of characters you can actually care for. Don't bother watching this garbage. It's not worth your time.
March 20, 2017
Burton's worst film? Certainly a contender
March 14, 2017
A stirring intro theme from the master danny elfman, and great performances/make-up effects fade through the rather un-intriguing story.
½ February 3, 2017
Probably Burtons worst movie, which says a lot. Some kind of remake also, putting men in to the roles of slaves while dumb apes rule the so-called little world. Seldom does Wahlberg carry a movie, but in this case it really isnt his fault, even though his acting is horrible.
January 7, 2017
tries to follow the original with the tones and the typical and dark atmosphere of Tim Burton