The Warrior Reviews

• May 17, 2020

Breathtaking and epic this is a ruthless drama that won the BAFTA for best British film and should have been nominated for a Oscar for best foreign language film but the academy didn't because of some stupid thing who cares this a great movie.

• Nov 11, 2019

(Quick review) The Warrior is a 2001 crime drama directed by Asif Kapadia. The film stars Irfan Khan as Lafcadia and Puru Chibber as Katiba. A very gripping and intense film that had me intrigued from start to finish. The cast was strong, the characters were engaging, the story was interesting, the cinematography was visually beautiful, and the ending was heartfelt. Overall I give it a 7/10 - very strong film, would recommend

• Feb 19, 2016

Beautiful cinematography, great acting and decent directing make for a well crafted story about warrior haunted by his past.

• Feb 21, 2014

A beautiful and affecting meditation on what it takes to bring about peace

A beautiful and affecting meditation on what it takes to bring about peace

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    Jun 04, 2013

After his family is killed by his former lord, a warrior seeks to find inner peace. Essentially an internal, spiritual journey, <i>The Warrior</i> is highlighted by a good, understated performance by Irfan Khan and some picturesque scenes of India's landscape. But the story is old, and though it doesn't submit to the temptation to become a simple revenge story, what arises in place of cliche is not much better because the film is unable to get us far enough into Lafcadia's psyche to become a compelling internal drama. Overall, while there is a lot to like about this film, I don't think it succeeds because its central conflict is too obscure.

• May 18, 2013

I was mesmerized by this film. I believe this to be an accurate interpretation of military life in northern India/Afganistan prior to the twentieth century. I like the movie for the depiction of events but felt the action was slow and left the viewer waiting. As a period piece I thought the director did an excellent.

• Apr 25, 2012

A genteel and artistic film. It has very little dialogue, and mere light and almost nonexistant music except during specific visual stillness like the village scene towards the end: the warrior kneels down and the smoke drifts off the burnt rubble that used to be a house; he quietly observes the small trinkets that remain and is in deep reflection. I also recall the dry glow of sunlight as the desert sand misted the air, serving as a weather mask for the warrior to hide behind early on in the film when the warriors were searching for him. I especially liked the lighter subtle moments such as when the warrior gradually slides away the plate of food, knowing that his young thief companion was distracted by a girl; when the young thief realizes it, the warrior softly laughs at him. The film is very aesthetically directed. Very nice.

• Mar 22, 2012

One of my favorite movies of all time. It's got the feel of a spaghetti western where the protagonist seeks redemption instead of revenge. Masterful.

• Feb 13, 2012

A story about repentance and spirituality. Great acting and raw visuals, though the movie is slow in places. Do not watch this expecting a lot of action and swordplay, there is very little of it.

• Sep 10, 2011

Excellent! You know a movie is amazing when you give a s**** about every character.