Lars and the Real Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lars and the Real Girl Reviews

½ May 24, 2017
7.5/10 it has something
May 4, 2017
Very unusual, but emotionally sweet. It's a beautiful drama. (First viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ April 10, 2017
Saya cukup menyukai premis yang dihadirkan film ini. Sex doll yang dihadirkan dalam kisahnya tidak dipandang sebagaimana kegunaannya. Bianca tidak dihadirkan sebagai 'pemuas nafsu,' tetapi lebih mengarah bagaimana Ia berhasil memenuhi 'kebutuhan akan orang lain' dari sisi Lars.
½ March 25, 2017
Not for everyone. Its about growing as a human being and how some people do it much slower than others and in different ways. Lars is one of the most interesting characters I've seen in a movie. Very strange but endearing movie.
March 21, 2017
This looks really cute, I want to see it.
March 21, 2017
I could not stop crying while watching this movie, Ryan Gosling gives an Oscar worthy performance "again" and every performance is great also, this movie has a great message, great acting, and a great combination of hilarity and sadness.
March 18, 2017
Worth watching... A community-based a young man from his self imposed loneliness by accepting his delusion and drawing him into their own circle of caring. Surprising, gentle funny and compassionate...
March 13, 2017
"Lars and the Real Girl's" premise initially impresses a tasteless joke but it ends up being an affecting, humorous, and smart film about the healing powers of community.

Lars is a loveable introvert who invites Bianca, a friend he meets online and introduces her to his brother and his wife. They are stunned to find out that Bianca is a life-sized doll from an adult website. The couple consult the family doctor Dagmar, and she explains that this is a delusion that Lars has created and that they all have to play along.

The central character Lars, played by Ryan Gosling, is demented yet sweet and Gosling's dramatization of the character is affecting and comical. Props as well to his supporting actors Emily Mortimer and Paul Schneider. 'Lars and the Real Girl' grounds itself on the emotional journey of everyone in his community.

'Lars and the Real Girl' is unconventional and unpredictable. It may not be your usual feel-good comedy but it uses a likely yet niche material to craft a stirring comedy/drama. The film deftly balances between trivia and heartfelt. So you may think that the plot is all pap but the director and writer of the film capitalizes on its supposed one-sided joke, surrounding it with a great cast and a tender script that teases romantic delusions whilst drawing attention to communal affection.
March 4, 2017
Absolutely brilliant. Great story, great cast - fabulously original.
February 26, 2017
It's a great movie for those who love depressing, really awkward dramas, but whoever categorised this as a comedy has probably lost their mind. If you're watching this looking for a good laugh, keep looking.
February 21, 2017
touching, intriguing, and well acted. watch to see how others cope with and react to Lars and his girlfriend.
February 17, 2017
it was a nice movie as usual.
Everyone in the city is a nice person.
February 13, 2017
A well-acted, well-produced story of how a town rallies to support a gentle introvert with a delusion that his sex doll is his real girlfriend. (They're both very religious, so it's not what you expect from a recluse and a sex doll.)
February 1, 2017
While both heartwarming and heartbreaking almost at the same time, the suspension of disbelief is a bit hard at times. I don't know if it's better or worse that there wasn't the cliched scene of some teen making fun of Lars and his real girl but at times this just feels unbelievable.
January 14, 2017
A terrific performance from Gosling and a dedication to the dramatic rather than the comedic makes Lars and the Real Girl a unique movie experience.
toejambaseball24
½ January 12, 2017
Gosling's performance is just something to behold, and the sweetness and sincerity of the story is so rare these days in movies, that it's just so refreshing to watch. This movie made me, and should make you, feel just a little bit better about life.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: A sweet and charming little movie with a great performance by Ryan Gosling. This premise could have gone in a million different directions, some of them slapstick and outrageous, and some of them could have been quite disturbing. This one chooses the sweet and sensitive route, and I think they definitely made the right choice.
½ January 2, 2017
Its the analog versión of the movie "HER".
½ December 18, 2016
This movie sucked! It was a waste of mt time and I can't understand how it is receiving rave reviews? What has this world come to? I think it was released as a test from the powers that be to see how dumb we Sheeple are! How could a major studio green light this foolishness is a mystery to me.
½ December 16, 2016
This wonderful film could have so easily been made into a silly comedy but is fortunately instead a bittersweet drama that relies on a captivating performance by the always talented Ryan Gosling, who gives life to a sensitive character that never seems less than real.
½ December 8, 2016
Surprisingly sentimental. Goslin looks absolutely terrible, which makes me feel better, and delivers an good performance as Lars. The supporting cast is all completely believable. Nice change of pace.