Lars and the Real Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lars and the Real Girl Reviews

April 13, 2018
This movie proves how good Ryan Gosling is. It's a strange but heartfelt movie.
½ April 12, 2018
Such a sweet, charming film that is beautifully depicted--a whole town accepts the delusion of a gentle soul who has trouble connecting with the world around him, and by accepting his delusion as real, accepts him and helps him to make some real human connection at last. They all make this labor of love and treat his delusion as real, so that he can move past it. A wonderful feel good film.
April 3, 2018
absolutely brilliant!
February 15, 2018
It's one of the strangest films I have seen in my life. I like strange movies, but the premise of this movie is so bizarre that it makes me open my mouth for the majority of the film. While creative, the story is beyond bonkers. I didn't like it.
February 9, 2018
Funny and sweet. Emotional support animals, why not an emotional support doll?
February 8, 2018
It was difficult to watch but is brutal and honest.
January 6, 2018
Funny and entertaining, Lars And The Real Girl tells a beautiful story, marvellously written and with an amazing cast.
October 29, 2017
Ryan Gosling's acting was the only thing that made this movie good.
October 8, 2017
This was a really nice surprise. A movie with such a ridiculous premise had me buy in completely. It was almost as if I took the journey with the characters. For a movie like this to have so much heart, shows how good it is.
October 1, 2017
This is a brand-new topic for me, and it's surprisingly interesting. Lars, Karin, and Gus act so outstandingly. I was so involved throughout the whole movie, and couldn't find any boring moment, which I am glad. It also leads me to be aware of the minor group of people in my life.
August 21, 2017
7.5/10 it has something
½ August 10, 2017
It's films like these that truly test the strength of your actors. It isn't every day that a man brings a "sex" doll to his home, pretend it's his girlfriend, and has the whole town going along with it. But with a great lead actor in Ryan Gosling, there's opportunity to produce a good whimsical drama with plenty of heart. Lars and the real Girl deals with an awkward man, who suffers from delusion and maybe even a little bit more mental health issues, and his "real" girlfriend who proceeded to change his life forever. With a plot like this, it's really difficult to get on board with the premise for a good bit in the film. The only thing that's keeping this film afloat is the performance of Ryan Gosling. The ability of him to make this relationship with a doll feel so real is absolutely impeccable. Gosling has always impressed when it comes to his acting choices, and this film may be his boldest to date. He didn't get nominated for an Oscar, but Lars is one of the most challenging roles he's taken on, and he's as good as he's ever been. I found the community effort of making the doll real to Lars to be particularly moving. I could have done with a more built out relationship with his brother, as I feel like there was a missed opportunity emotionally. However, overall this film is one of the most unique films you'll see, and Gosling's turn is one of particular importance.

7.9/10
July 29, 2017
Ryan Gosling is one hell of an actor
May 4, 2017
Very unusual, but emotionally sweet. It's a beautiful drama. (First viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ April 10, 2017
Saya cukup menyukai premis yang dihadirkan film ini. Sex doll yang dihadirkan dalam kisahnya tidak dipandang sebagaimana kegunaannya. Bianca tidak dihadirkan sebagai 'pemuas nafsu,' tetapi lebih mengarah bagaimana Ia berhasil memenuhi 'kebutuhan akan orang lain' dari sisi Lars.
½ March 25, 2017
Not for everyone. Its about growing as a human being and how some people do it much slower than others and in different ways. Lars is one of the most interesting characters I've seen in a movie. Very strange but endearing movie.
March 21, 2017
This looks really cute, I want to see it.
March 21, 2017
I could not stop crying while watching this movie, Ryan Gosling gives an Oscar worthy performance "again" and every performance is great also, this movie has a great message, great acting, and a great combination of hilarity and sadness.
March 18, 2017
Worth watching... A community-based a young man from his self imposed loneliness by accepting his delusion and drawing him into their own circle of caring. Surprising, gentle funny and compassionate...