Reviews

• Dec 06, 2016

Another boring straight to DVD movie with a mediocre cast and a dull plot.

Another boring straight to DVD movie with a mediocre cast and a dull plot.

• Jun 16, 2012

I found this film intriguing once Dylan, portrayed by Basil Harris "dumped his heterosexual" male friend Eric (Sean Nelson of indie band "Harvey Danger") and told him what an asshole and bad friend he was and had always been. A ten for courage for sharing those sentiments in such a honest, believable way without the usual votriol. Nelson was pitch perfect in his reunion scenes and the uncomfort level was palpable between he and Harris. The self absorption and audacity of Shelton's character Eric, had me constantly wondering what would finally make this dude uneasy enough to get the drift that he was totally out of line, insulting, rude, unwanted and bolt. Instead, it comes as a disappointment when Dylan acquiesces to Eric's s shallowness and they fall into old bonding patterns. This exposes the often complicated layers of friendships and relationships that don't work but work on some dysfunctional level. The closing scene is poignant leaving me to reflect how Eric's selfishness has in the end cost Dylan yet another friendship. This time with Jim. (Calvin Reeder). And...friends deep in the woods of eastern Washington are not that easy to come by.

• Nov 17, 2011

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] For some reason, this movie worked for me. I think I just enjoyed the overall simplicity of it and that it was a departure from usual Hollywood fair.

• Nov 15, 2011

meditative, lush setting--perfect for a story about to friends reconnecting. authentic dialogue and believable characters.

• Brody M Super Reviewer
    May 30, 2011

My Effortless Brilliance was an interesting movie but something about it was very very wrong.Understand what I'm saying?

• Apr 17, 2011

Intriguing for the realism of its characters. A mostly plot-free storyline can work, but requires more resolution or payoff than this delivered.

• Mar 23, 2011

THE MOST ABSURD WASTE of my time was spent watching and waiting and WAITING for some significance from this tedious trash!

• Sep 13, 2010

Despite my inherently shallow nature, Basil Harris' handsome face only held my attention for so long. Some good dialogue but this film just got boring in too many places. My mind would drift to imagining the guys in flannel shirts suddenly making out in the forest, but alas that never came to be. I found some parallels to "Old Joy" with Will Oldham, but "Old Joy" had a more skilled filmmaker at the helm. Not a complete waste of time or anything, but it's a quiet night for sure.

• Aug 16, 2010

An interesting film, but one that never really engaged me like I would have liked it to. Lynn Shelton has a wonderful eye and clearly has stories to tell, but this one was a little dull. I much prefer Hump Day, which I thought was almost perfect.

• Apr 29, 2010

This just became background noise while I got busy with other stuff. Nothing really captured my attention.