50 First Dates - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

50 First Dates Reviews

May 10, 2018
Yeah theres still the fart jokes or awkward disgusting humor but I think it makes up for it with a lot of heart, humanity, and sweetness to it. This is probably one of Sandler's....better films..?
April 30, 2018
One of my favorite Sandler flicks.
½ April 15, 2018
The romantic comedy 50 First Dates, directed by Peter Segal and starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, came out in 2004. It is a movie that I had always heard about, howe
er, had not seen until recently. The movie is not only unique in its' story, but it is also unique in its' setting. It is about a beautiful blonde woman named Lucy who was in a terrible accident. As a result of this accident, she cannot encode new long-term memories and thus, cannot remember meeting new people. As this movie is about overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds, in which the main male character only has a day to make the other main female character fall in love with him, it can be paralleled with the film Groundhog Day, in which love also conquered a funky time situation in which the main character only has one day to make progress in the relationship.

50 First Dates is cute, quirky, and touching. It has great comedic lines, some which had me on the floor laughing, and also many sweet scenes in a way that strikes the perfect balance between romantic and comedic. I was impressed with the writing in the movie; the lines may veer on cheesy, however, it somehow works within the context of the movie. It is the kind of script that although may contain some cheesy lines, it is not to the extent that makes you cringe. Furthermore, the movie is extremely unrealistic; however, this did not prevent it from being a good movie. The point of this movie, as is often true with romantic comedies, was not to evoke realism, but rather to evoke feelings about the power of love and its' ability to overcome science and logic. In this regard, the movie was extremely successful. Furthermore, the soundtrack in this movie was excellent. Not only was it excellent, but it was a key part of moving along the movie, because of the sheer extent of montage scenes that existed. As we know from watching many romantic comedies, montage scenes are often scenes that have a lot of music in them. During the montage scenes, when we would see essentially the same day play out in different ways, the music was an integral part of conveying whether or not that day was successful or whether or not Henry screwed up and was not able to make Lucy fall for him. Furthermore, during funny scenes, oftentimes upbeat and fun songs would accompany them, and the same was true for the more dramatic and sappy scenes.

The editing of scenes and furthermore the cinematography of the movie as a whole was also good. When it was called for, close-up shots were used in order to convey certain emotions and messages. For example, when Lucy would watch her tapes informing her of the accident and consequently her condition, the camera would pan close to her face and through this, the emotion was conveyed. However, in other scenes, the camera would be more focused on the scene as a whole, rather than close-up on someone, which would be better suited for certain scenes. As touched upon earlier, the concept of the movie is extremely unrealistic; however, this does not mean that the actors and their emotions did not have depth. The actors certainly were challenged in terms of both comedic effect and emotional expression. When Lucy told Henry that she did not want to see him anymore, his hurt and sadness came across as real and genuine and the audience could feel this. Furthermore, both Sandler and Barrymore were genius in certain scenes in terms of their comedic timing. Not only were Sandler and Barrymore very talented in terms of this, but so were other supporting characters. The actors' ability to successfully make comedic effect was integral to the success of the movie and definitely made the movie a lot more enjoyable to watch than it would have been if the actors were less talented. Furthermore, in the last scene, when Lucy explained that she did not know who Henry was, yet dreamed about him every night, I was genuinely touched. The actors were able to make me feel something deeply, and this is definitely an indication of great actors in a movie. The notion that your love for someone can be stronger than science is one that may not necessarily be true, but something that we all would like to believe and is comforting to believe.

I'm not sure if this movie has a lot of cultural significance but it definitely has social significance. It indicates to people the notion that even if you have a seemingly impossible obstacle in your way, if you really love someone, you should try as hard as you can to overcome this obstacle and convey this love to the other person. This movie is not necessarily the best movie I have ever seen; however, it was cute, quirky, and touching and I would definitely recommend giving it a watch.
February 16, 2018
50 First Dates is a hilarious romantic comedy starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. It's a story about a man in Hawaii who works at an aquarium and falls in love with a woman, but realizes she has short term memory loss. It's a nice story and gives humor and entertainment that a lot of people will enjoy.
February 5, 2018
funny but edgy romcom is crude for a PG-13 but enjoyable nonetheless
December 17, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Divertida y entrañable.
December 16, 2017
Gran historia, comedia y amor van llevados de la mano increíblemente
November 26, 2017
this is honestly one of my favorite movies
November 4, 2017
predictable but some good laughs nonetheless
½ September 30, 2017
A nice and entertaining comedy drama. Probably one of more better Adam Sandler movies I've seen.
September 18, 2017
Not my favorite movie staring Adam Sandler it's just ok
September 15, 2017
This is one of the Adam Sandler movies that I still really like to this day. I know it has become cool to hate on him, but oh well. The critics didn't like this movie, but I think it is cute. It made me laugh and feel, so that is about all I could ask from it.
½ September 10, 2017
Filme mediano, o que já é muito para Adam Sandler.
½ September 7, 2017
I really liked it just was kinda a dumbish or... not a great plot... I mean the girl wakes up every day not knowing she is married or has a kid.. that's dumb
July 7, 2017
What a sacrifice ! Nice story !
June 29, 2017
This movie is touching. It's an Adam Sandler movie, so you know it isn't going to be critically acclaimed, but Lucy and her family will capture your heart. The silliness is mixed with enough sweetness to make you care. I've watched this movie dozens of times, and it never gets old. I'm a softie, but I still get choked up at certain parts.
June 5, 2017
Empty calories. Romantic comedy. Typical Sandler with usual cast. Enjoyable if you're looking for something that requires nothing from you except no expectations.
May 11, 2017
I did not enjoy this movie I have seen better Adam Sandler movies he is still my favorite actor though
May 9, 2017
I really love this movie
March 6, 2017