61* - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

61* Reviews

½ May 29, 2016
"Stick to what you know" is advice often rendered to art students and for Mr. Billy Crystal of New York City that apparently is just the ticket as he produced and directed this affectionate nod to American baseball, and most particularly the homerun race between Yankees Mickey Mantle (Thomas Jane) and Roger Maris (Barry Pepper). All in all the work is a nice memento of times gone by, such as when baseball was #1 in America.
January 20, 2016
Great Little Film...
½ December 26, 2015
Fantastic!! I can't believe I waited so long to watch this.
December 23, 2015
5 stars. One of the best baseball movies of all time. I was borderline solid as a rock the entire film
½ June 3, 2015
A good baseball movie is like a fine wine in as it gets better as the years go by....this is a fine wine.
May 21, 2015
The M&M boys are great film subjects.
March 8, 2015
Was much better than I expected. Perfect on a plane trip back to the USA.
February 27, 2015
The best baseball movie ever made.
½ August 12, 2014
(First and only viewing - 7/16/2008)
July 19, 2014
One of the best sport movies that I have ever seen. It was also a character study of what these guys go thru, It sure is a great reflection of what sports used to be like. Before drugs and money ruined the game, not just baseball but all professional sports, the ego maniac athletes these days have made it almost impossible to be able to afford to take your kids to see a real game. i grew up watching the 72 undefeated Miami Dolphins, because back then you could afford a ticket. Its sad because I cant afford to take my son to a real game. sorry for getting on my soapbox....kindof got of the review.
December 23, 2013
Really great sports movie.
November 10, 2013
I have a new favourite baseball movie!! This is a wonderful movie for sports fans and movie fans alike! Billy Crystal's attention to detail and his love of baseball are obvious throughout. Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane as Maris and Mantle are both excellent and are admirably supported by the other cast members.
September 29, 2013
Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane totally steal the screen in this well casted, engaging baseball drama. Pardon the pun but Billy Crystal hit a home run with 61; the movie made me (not at all a Yankees fan) want to put on the pinstripes.
ElCochran90
½ July 10, 2013
The advantage of rating and writing brief comments about films is that, if the film is extremely boring, uninspirational and/or forgettable, the rating remains with the original feelings before they are lost in oblivion. So, I saw this back when I rated films, but didn't write comments or reviews yet. I have no memory of this TV movie whatsoever, except for the opening baseball game.

So, I look at the rating and say: "Yeah, it was bad. Thank God I don't remember". I wish I could say the same thing about my half-star ratings.

47/100
½ June 11, 2013
Entertaining, and both Thomas Jane and Barry Pepper did quite well.
SE
½ May 3, 2013
This film really was fun to watch. The acting is great, the story is great, and Billy Crystal did a solid job directing this movie. If this movie was released in theatres, it could've earned Barry Pepper an Oscar nomination for Best Actor(not saying it would've, it could've).
½ March 28, 2013
"You'd think we were tryin to replace Jesus christ or somethin."
March 4, 2013
My favorite baseball movie.
½ February 17, 2013
I hate the Yankees with a friggin' passion, but it you love baseball movies, you gotta see this. It really Makes you appreciate what Mantle and Maris went through in the '61 season.
December 7, 2012
Want to see at some point in the future! A treat !