61* Reviews

• Aug 26, 2019

Very entertaining - even if you're not a big baseball fan.

Very entertaining - even if you're not a big baseball fan.

• Apr 22, 2019

The heartbreaking true story of Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle comes to life in a very well done manner in 61*.

• Jul 23, 2018

An absolute beauty of an telemovie. tells a great story of one of baseballs best home run races! 9.5/10

• Jul 11, 2018

Good to see if you don't know about the race. It was like a nice TV movie. Well-acted, absolutely required viewing for Yankees fans (or NYers). ;-)

Thomas D Super Reviewer
    May 07, 2017

Being a huge fan of baseball, but someone who was born much later than the 1961 Home run race, made 61* a real joy of a viewing experience for me. Not only is it a fascinating look at what it's like playing baseball every day for 162 games a year, but it provided perspective on the interesting relationship that players have with fans. I think even more so than the race itself, it was that dynamic that sold me on 61's story. I think sometimes people forget that athletes and celebrities are humans too. Heck, even I find myself getting caught up in it all sometimes at these events and forget that these athletes have families and lives just like the rest of us. Sure, I loved watching the film explore Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris' power on the field, but it was fascinating to watch them go about their lives outside the diamond in an entirely different manner. I'm not sure how much of this movie is heightened or "Hollywood-ized", but that didn't really play into the determining factor for me. Personally, I feel as though 61* rivals some of the great sports movies in balancing on and off the field issues. However, the film isn't without its flaws. 61* is a 2001 HBO movie made for TV, and I think that showed. The CGI, or lack thereof, was very noticeable, especially in the moments that needed to hit well. For example, I don't really need to see a slow-motion incredibly fake baseball coming towards my face before Roger smacks it out of the park. And I feel as though this movie had a tough time with the really big emotional and dramatic moments. Don't get me wrong, I like both Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane in the lead roles but I don't think their performances come close to Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams or Robert Redford in The Natural. Not that they necessarily need to, but when the games are in their biggest moments, it felt like a TV production. But as I said, this movie holds up incredibly well because of its content matter, especially now that baseball is desperately needing another HR race for its popularity. Plus, if we wipe away the guys who broke the record using steroids, Maris would still hold it with 61. It's actually remarkable what Maris was able to do at that particular stage of baseball, and considering he was never really able to recapture that power. So just for loving the game of baseball alone, 61* is worth a look. 7.7/10

• Jan 20, 2016

Great Little Film...

Great Little Film...

• Dec 26, 2015

Fantastic!! I can't believe I waited so long to watch this.

Fantastic!! I can't believe I waited so long to watch this.

• Dec 23, 2015

5 stars. One of the best baseball movies of all time. I was borderline solid as a rock the entire film

• Jun 03, 2015

A good baseball movie is like a fine wine in as it gets better as the years go by....this is a fine wine.

• May 21, 2015

The M&M boys are great film subjects.

The M&M boys are great film subjects.