A Bunch of Amateurs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Bunch of Amateurs Reviews

July 9, 2016
This film is brilliant if taken with a tongue in cheek attitude to the wonderful cheesy world of amateur theatre. It is a superb send up of a world that I have been immersed in for over 60 years. Love the amateur theatre? You'll adore this!
April 11, 2015
Gentle and funny. An unexpected pleasure
April 9, 2015
As an American who has lived in the UK for 30 years and is a member of a English amateur theatre group (Maskers) I found this hilarious!
½ March 5, 2014
Standard Britcom stuff - but made watchable by Derek Jacobi and some nice references to King Lear.
½ December 29, 2013
What could have been an enjoyable fish out of water English comedy is let down by a ridiculously low budget and dire acting from Reynolds. He doesn't seem to be awake for the whole film and there is none of the charisma he gave to most of his roles in the 70's and 80's (or even 'Boogie Nights'). It was a nice idea to use an actual ageing action star to play the role of an ageing action star but because Reynolds can't be bothered to put the effort in there's no way you'd believe he could pull off the role of Lear successfully. This isn't helped by the fact that he's surrounded by much better stage actors like Jacobi and Staunton who at least put some effort into their paper thin roles. Bond is also good but the faint romance sub-plot with Reynolds comes to nothing as they have no chemistry between them. Don't both with these bunch of amateurs!
April 10, 2013
More worthy Brit comedy. Burt Reynolds could be better, but the rest of the cast do a good job with a lame tale.
½ April 7, 2013
an ageing Hollywood action hero finds his carear on the decline when his agent sets him up to Go to England
½ April 6, 2013
I found this to be funny and charming in a very unexpected way.
½ April 4, 2013
Burt Reynolds essentially plays himself in what is actually a nice addition to his filmography and something different in what is a very light comedy.
February 23, 2013
Nice little British comedy drama with Burt Reynolds as a fading movie star who gets sent to England to act in a Shakespeare play to make money for the towns people who want to keep their theatre.
December 29, 2012
A nightmare.
(I'm sorry Fiorenzo).
As i entered the screen I saw the audience (age +60)...
Then the first scene and then Charles Dunning and then it gets worst and worst. I suppose I could leave half way thru the film but i was curious how bad could it get. It did. Lack of passion, jokes were funny for the audience (age+60)...
Thank God for Curzon Soho and "Baader Meinhof Complex" otherwise I would called sick to work tomorrow.
Fiorenzo how could you do it to me???
June 3, 2012
this was really a good movie, and kind of mirrored burt reynolds's career, exc for playing shakespeare. he turned out to be a better actor after he gave up on those stunt movies. this movie, striptease, my name is earl are all very easy to watch burt grow old and funny.
½ August 25, 2011
Pretty average. Wouldn't watch again.
½ June 17, 2011
its a lovely movie. immensely enjoyable. i loved it to the core. the cover didn't make me feel good about the film except for the fact that its from the producers of 'Shakespeare in love' which i loved very much. that alone made me rent this out and i would have missed this beauty otherwise. some people may criticize about the logical issues like a Hollywood superstar accepting a theater offer without doing much background checks and not having his convoy of assistants/managers or local contacts in England...etc. what do we expect, its a movie after all. nevertheless you won't feel anything while watching it as you will be busy laughing all the way. Charles Durning, Imelda Staunton, Derek Jacobi, Samantha Bond and Gemma Lawrence (the kid) - highly talented and wonderful. about the lead ?? i don't have to say much...Burt Reynolds, he is. i was really really happy after watching this movie. My verdict: Don't miss it. (BTW never trust in the top critics' reviews - all they do is find faults to make them look genius)
½ May 12, 2011
If it wasn't for Reynolds' cranky performance and him being mistaken for other celebrities (which probably does happen given the fact his glory days are over) I would've probably given up on it. All in all, rather bearable.
March 24, 2011
A low-budget British comedy mostly shot on the Isle of Man that was somehow chosen as the 2008 Royal Command Performance film. Despite such publicity, the film sank without trace, and was slagged off, and it's easy to see why, it's a cliched culture-clash comedy even though it has a game lead who sends up egotistical movie stars. It has Burt Reynolds as Jefferson Steel, a has-been action film star who has seen better days and has been in better films. He wants to do something worthwhile, and his agent Charlie Rosenberg (Charles Durning) gives him the offer of a lifetime, the chance to play King Lear in Stratford, England. Jefferson thinks it's in Stratford-upon-Avon, and arrives in the UK in a flourish of publicity. Only to find he's holed up in the tiny Suffolk village of Stratford St John. The theatre is no more than a converted barn on a pig farm, Jefferson is holed up in a tiny B&B ran by Mary (Imelda Staunton), the Stratford players are a group of amateur actors led by director Dorothy Nettle (Samantha Bond), this isn't what Jefferson wanted, he's miles from home and his creature comforts and clashes with local wannabe thespian Nigel Dewberry (Derek Jacobi). It does have it's moments, but they're few and far between, alot of the comedy on display in the film is obvious and ripped off from any British sitcom. It feels a bit like Local Hero in places, but with little of the charm.
November 27, 2010
If you do expect much you will not be disappointed. Okay to watch with the wife eating a Saturday night meal.
½ October 30, 2010
For Fans Of: Bad plastic surgery, Bad scripts
Date Night: Nope
Art Factor: None
Fun Factor: Low
Emotional Factor: None
Inteeligence Required: None
Essential Viewing: No

This was terrible. Boring may not be a strong enough word to describe the script. Burt Reynolds really stretches here playing a washed up movie star who can't get work. The rest of the cast are just pretty much there. You know, I watch quite a few movies, and this might just be the worst I have seen in the last two months. And I saw A-Team! I did think about laughing a couple of times.
½ September 26, 2010
Light-hearted, feel-good British comedy....first film I've stayed awake through in ages!