A Tale of Love and Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Tale of Love and Darkness Reviews

February 14, 2019
In Hebrew and adapted from the memoir of Israel's leading author, Amos Oz, Natalie Portman's directorial debut is an enchantingly sorrowful love letter to her birthland through the eyes of the young protagonist witnessing his mother and the young nation descending into the abyss of darkness in the first years of independent Israel.
June 4, 2018
This is a beautiful, melancholy, dreamlike, sepia-toned child's remembrance of early Israel and a depressed mother. Based on the book by Amos Oz and written by, directed by, and starring Natalie Portman, the film is a montage of exquisitely photographed vignettes, lacking a compelling narrative arc. It is fascinating to watch Portman in Hebrew in mid-20th century Jerusalem. The film gives one cause to look for more from Portman as a director and filmmaker.
½ April 4, 2018
Well crafted and poetic, but not necessarily entertaining.
January 21, 2018
Sensible, intriguing and bittersweet! One of the things that impressed me was that I could feel the love of Amos for his mother, and vice versa, through the screen. The purest and powerful love. Truly a beautiful and well done movie. Natalie is amazing... as always!
August 2, 2017
based on history, based on love, vividly amazing with the stories told, and the way this film is. i really enjoyed it
May 7, 2017
Deep, beautiful and melancholy film. Great directorial debut by Portman!
April 16, 2017
I am going to pass on this one.
½ March 31, 2017
How does this movie have any good ratings? Complete waste of time. Worst movie I have seen in years! Absolutely nothing happens in this movie except one thing. I feel the way the mom felt, overly depressed at how horrible this movie was. Can I have back the 1 hour and 40 mins I wasted of my life on this movie?
February 27, 2017
A Tale of Love and Darkness is a bit of a disjointed mess. Director Natalie Portman never quite settles on a concrete theme as she flits from story to story. It's all about stories, but ones that are never shown and ones that never seem to have any direct effect on the charters on screen we are asked to connect with. Portmanā??s direction continually emphasizes the profound nature of the words being spoken with a complete overuse of slow motion which takes away any power the stories might have had. When everything is of the utmost importance, nothing is, resulting in a film that so desperately wants to be deep and meaningful that it manages to mean nothing at all.
½ January 12, 2017
The cinematography and period setting and styling is unquestionably superb, but the story is as dull as ditchwater.
½ January 11, 2017
Proselytising claptrap. As one sided a view of the creation of Israel as you could ever expect to see accompanied by stream of consciousness 'parables' to support the concept that the Jews were in the right. Complete disregard for the fact that the vote gave a mere glamour of authenticity to a blatant theft of territory on par with what Germany did to Poland. That the allied forces didn't invade to defeat the Arabs but instead simply remained after the war is treated as if it gave a veto the lack of the use of which justified the treatment of the Arab population of the area - as if they didn't matter.
December 11, 2016
Natalie Portman can definitely improve herself as a director. The film is so fragmented and I just can't feel the pain.
½ November 26, 2016
There is so much to it! I sat there crying all the time.
November 17, 2016
A Tale of Love and Darkness is a wonderful film. Visually beautiful and soul stirring. A tragic story that is compelling and very relatable to life today.
September 15, 2016
Beautifully made and wonderfully acted, this film was dreamlike and poetic, yet real and relatable at once. It was hypnotic in sections and touching throughout. As a struggling actor who lived in Israel, my high expectations were more than exceeded. Bravo Ms. Portman.
½ September 14, 2016
I am giving it a 2 1/2 stars at the moment but I almost don't feel like rating it quite yet. I really have to go back and have a rewatch with a completely different mindset of what this film is about and what kind of a film it is even.
September 14, 2016
This is a fine first film from veteran Hollywood actor and now director, Natalie Portman. The story is fine-tuned, and she knows how to tell a story. These "dreams" are woven together and demonstrate a supreme effort of will. The film is mildly disturbing at times, but Natalie really knows what she's about and ably manages her characters. It feels like an artsy film, and that is just what it is!
September 7, 2016
Terrible movie. Tedious and boring.
September 6, 2016
It is a good cultural movie giving you more of a documentary like flavor of the pre Israel days for a small young family. Be aware it is quite sad and depressing. The entire theater was absolutely dead silent at the end. Glad I saw it as I appreciate learning about Israel and pre-current nation of Israel. Be prepared to be depressed leaving. It is in Hebrew with English subtitles.