Afraid of the Dark Reviews

• Jul 28, 2013

The directorial debut of Mark Peploe, who wrote Antonioni's "The Passenger" and "The Last Emperor" and "The Sheltering Sky" for Bertolucci. It's pretty wonderful at capturing the perspective of a child in a fairly irrationally hostile environment. Then ... partway through, the film pulls the rug out from under you and proceeds to tell a different story with a remarkably different kind of threat. Not an easy film, but one that rewards patience. The excellent cast includes James Fox, Paul McGann, David Thewlis and Catriona MacColl.

• Mar 02, 2012

Strange if slightly dull psycho thriller. A young lad with poor eyesight and an over active imagination believes he knows the I.d. Of a local serial killer preying on the local blind club.

• Nov 23, 2011

I was expecting a lot more from the writer of The Last Emperor. The dialogue and the delivery of the dialogue is terrible. The twist in the middle of the movie just didn't make sense to me and it seemed pretentious. Like it thought it was much more clever than it actually was.

• Dec 13, 2010

The movie is just like another Secret Window or Hide n Seek. Except its a kid who has eye problems. It doesn't seem bad when you're watching it on midnight on television.

• Jul 18, 2009

So slow that at times, I thought it was moving backwards.

So slow that at times, I thought it was moving backwards.

• Apr 09, 2009

I've been meaning to see this film for a while ever since I saw scenes from it late one night on TV. Written and Directed by Mark Peploe, the Oscar winning writer of The Last Emperor, this film is about a young boy who witnesses several murders commited by a person whose victims are blind women. There's a pretty big plot twist about halfway through the film, which results in it being not as compelling as the first half, but it's still a well done film with some clever moments in the second half.

• Mar 09, 2009

This is one of the very first movies I remember seeing and can't believe I found it 20 years later. Honestly thought I had dreamed certain parts because it's pretty obscure. That being said, it's just okay.

• Jan 29, 2009

I didn't get it. Basically, there are two movies here and each supposedly enriches the other. Just an obnoxious hat trick. The worst part is the casting of the lead; a young actor who seems wooden in every scene. Don't even get me started on the psycho sexual nature of the blind "poser"/sister. Dear Lord.

• Sep 05, 2008

This was a strange but intriguing movie.

This was a strange but intriguing movie.

• Jan 08, 2008

An unusual and eerie psychological thriller. The little boy in this movie is also pretty damn creepy.