After the Thin Man Reviews

• Aug 08, 2019

A strong sequel with a most unusual villain This is such a delightful movie. Myrna Loy and William Powell are a perfect couple, each of them so endearing, and their banter is as sharp, witty, and alive today as it was in 1936. Nick investigates the case of a missing man and later a murder that is connected to Nora's family. As an added bonus, we get to see Jimmy Stewart in one of his earlier roles, and cute dog tricks provided by Asta. The script is strong, which resulted in screenwriters Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett being nominated for an Oscar. Movies that try to do it all, having elements of comedy, mystery, romance, drama, and song and dance, are often weaker as a result ; but here the entire package is quite satisfying. What a terrific 'who-dun-it' !!

• Mar 11, 2019

Things move fast and furiously because we have already been introduced to Powell and Loy. A little known Jimmy Stewart is added to the cast and he becomes one of the focal points. This still moves a little too fast for the average detective show, but the ending ties everything up. Loy, Powell, Stewart, and Asta, as well as all the other actors do a remarkable job in this sequel to the popular "Thin Man". There would be many other sequels, due to its great popularity Myrna Loy is a very special actor, who could work with anyone and produce sizzling chemistry. She did her best work with the charming William Powell..

• Mar 10, 2019

Writers.. directors.. take a look.. outside the 30ï¿ 1/2 1/2(TM)s kitsch.. tight, no water plot points, clean.. exactly like a Dashiell Hammet novel.. get back to this .. PLEASE!

• Feb 12, 2019

My favorite of the series. The first might have been my first choice but their is less noise in the second; improvements in audio technology??? Also, there are scenes in the second film that are priceless: returning home to a welcome back party, with guests who don't even know who Nick and Nora are....Nick trying to grab the phone from Nora as she accepts an invitation to visit Nora's aged relatives; and the New Year's Eve party with Nick and Nora's usual repartee....who could ask for more???

• Dec 31, 2017

Very similar style to its predecessor (The Thin Man, 1934). More classic wit from William Powell. I think I still liked the first one better though.

• Jun 25, 2016

• Antonius B Super Reviewer
    Jun 16, 2016

This is such a delightful movie. Myrna Loy and William Powell are a perfect couple, each of them so endearing, and their banter is as sharp, witty, and alive today as it was in 1936. I was continually tickled by them throughout the movie, as he contends with her aristocratic and stuffy family, she playfully comments on his saltier acquaintances, and together they find themselves trying to unravel a murder mystery. As an added bonus, we get to see Jimmy Stewart in one of his earlier roles, and cute dog tricks provided by Asta. Oh, and in a brief scene, check out the woman dancing amidst a wild party they come home to - I loved these little touches. The shots of San Francisco and various sets are beautiful, the attire is gorgeous, and the script is strong, which resulted in screenwriters Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett being nominated for an Oscar. Pulling all of the suspects together at the end is a little formulaic and it gets somewhat complicated to understand all of the motives and actions, but it keeps you guessing and the final 'whodunit' is clear. Movies that try to do it all, having elements of comedy, mystery, romance, drama, and song and dance, are often weaker as a result - but here the entire package is quite satisfying. This was the second movie in what would be six total in this series, but it stands on its own and while watching it, you can understand why it was so popular. The murder mystery gets a little glib but still merits four stars, and Loy and Powell are compelling and warrant four and a half, so I round up on the overall rating.

• Apr 08, 2016

I think I agree with TCM's Robert Osborne's comment this past New Years Eve 2016 that many people liked this more than the first one. I'm one of them. The pacing is tighter, the laughs come quicker and oh, Asta. Bad dog. Bad. Oh, and oh my... Jimmy Stewart is in this, looking young and preppy... and he was smokin' clean cut sexy. I get it. I really do. Wow.

• Mar 27, 2016

Great film. This is the second of six films in the "Thin Man" series, and it's one of the best. The writing is great, very funny stuff. The cast is also excellent, including a young Jimmy Stewart in one of his earliest roles. Highly recommended!

• Jan 16, 2016

William Powell and Myrna Loy return as Nick and Nora Charles in this second Thin Man film. Like most of the sequels, the mystery is really not the reason you want to watch the film. It's the witty banter between Nick and Nora that makes these films so wonderful and this one is terrific. Director W.S. Van Dyke returns for this second outing. and the film is also boosted by and early performance by James Stewart as one of the cast of suspects. Easily the best of the many sequels.