Against All Odds Reviews

• Aug 23, 2019

I wanted to like this movie Against All Odds, I really did, as I bought off Amazon more recently for my GF who likes these types of films. Not really my style but I paid the 7 dollars to make it happen to watch with her and cause the main song by Phil Collins is as always awesome as Phil Collins is. BUT that very song is waited upon until the very end and credits rolling and not utilized at all to the effect the song has. The movie started out with interest and with some good acting and was a solid 6 out of 10, 1/3 the way in but by the time the movie ended it was lucky to get a 3.5 rating! Especially waiting to play the great Phil Collins song at very end of the movie...come on...WEAK! Weak to MAX! The ending was weak too and made little sense after 2 full hrs! I do require these 2 hrs back somehow and am trying to save you this time to just watch something else with much more meaning and purpose in a film. Shame on "the Dude" for being in this almost awful movie back in 1984! The cover sells yes but they got all hot and heavy before that scene anyways...zero build up to that movie poster scene! We are not IDIOTS Hollywood!

• Jun 15, 2019

I saw this movie in the theater when I was very young probably 13. I wasn't in Los Angeles at the time I was with my sister in Northern California but we're from Hollywood. It's a wonderful portrayal of Los Angeles, the need to leave it and the way it brings you back to it. The corruption, the need to be around evil because it's what generates your living. There is an insane race between a Porsche and a Ferrari on Sunset Boulevard from the beach to Hollywood. Stellar performances from Jeff Bridges and James Woods. Rachel Ward is stunning. The feel of the best parts of Mexico with the beaches and the pyramids. Highly recommended five stars. This is from the perspective of a Generation Xer. I'm 47 so the movie may seem dated to younger kids now. I had a younger guy ask me if it was shot in the 70s when I was in my thirties. I thought that was really funny because it's very 80s. See it. Jeff will say that he's proud of The Big Lebowski but he should also be proud of this one he's in great shape.

• Jun 11, 2019

It's one of my favorite movies .. Jeff and Rachel did an amazing job. I can't leave out Jimmy woods , he's always a great bad guy. The car race was one of the most iconic of all time next to bullit. They don't make movies like these anymore , it's all green screens now and it takes away the movie magic. There's nothing like knowing someone is really doing these stunts.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best movie song ever sung: Take a Look at Me Now!

The best movie song ever sung: Take a Look at Me Now!

• Apr 29, 2018

The celebrity of the euphonious Oscar-winning theme song by Phil Collins precedes this Taylor Hackford's middling remake of a 1947 film noir with the scene updated to the seedy underworld of football politics, torrid romantic entanglements and sports betting.

• Feb 02, 2018

An 80's neo noire that fails to live up to expectations as a remake of the exceptional Out of the Past. The setup lacks conviction even resorting to deploying a prolonged car chase sequence to keep the pulse going. The second act features beautiful scenery complete with Mayan ruins and decent chemistry between Jeff Bridges and his mark, played amiably by Rachel Ward. The third act disappoints with a casual resolution but by then we've lost interest in the plot. James Woods, normally an exceptional actor, needed a villain with more layers, more complexity. The soundtrack and those Mayan ruins are worth one viewing, however.

• Apr 14, 2017

I'm sure the original is superior, which I hadn't known existed before I watched this remake.

• Mar 07, 2017

Pretty rad little film noir. Great score and buildup of tension. I found it really hard to care for Ward, as she was such a weasel, but I guess that's what makes for some of the best noir; untrustworthy dames.

• Apr 14, 2016

Looking to be very sexy, however this did not live up the expectations. The couple had good tension, but they got 'together' too soon in film and it didn't feel like they had a real connection. Too many people dying, and it didn't make a lot of sense why either... BUT still, a pretty decent movie, good chemistry.

• Aug 08, 2015

I enjoyed against all odds jeff bridges,rachel ward and james woods were great and it had an exciting ending