Agatha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Agatha Reviews

½ January 26, 2016
Good performances but missing a few things.
October 25, 2015
Why is this film not on DVD if it is so popular? It is a classic.
September 15, 2015
well crafted mystery/suspenser based on true events from 1926
½ May 23, 2015
Vanessa Redgrave was pretty dull and I lost interest in this movie.
May 10, 2015
A slow fictional explanation of the mysterious disappearance of Christie. It put harrowgate on my list of places to visit though.
May 8, 2015
Starring Dustin Hoffman and Vanessa Redgrave. Failed exercise in suspense supposes what mystery writer Agatha Christie might have done when she disappeared for eleven days in 1926. Redgrave is Ms. Christie, Hoffman an American journalist in London who tracks her down. The film is worthwhile for their unusual chemistry and for its cinematography, which creates the illusion that we are seeing this story through the mists of time. Future 007 actor Timothy Dalton doesn't leave much of an impression as Christie's husband. Directed by Michael Apted.
May 15, 2014
well done to all concerned .
½ November 10, 2013
More drama than mystery, 1979's 'Agatha' is certainly a worthy addition to the long line of quality British period films. With a top cast, led by an impeccable Redgrave and Hoffman, and terrific cinematography by Storaro that gives a lot of colour and atmosphere to the historical setting, 'Agatha' makes for solid entertainment, though the fictionalization of history and it not being as layered as one of Christie's own tales will leave some empty.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ August 1, 2013
Agatha is a powerful drama that is brilliantly acted and directed. This is an engaging film experience that boasts a wonderful cast with a great story. Dustin Hoffman and Vanessa Redgrave truly shine here, and it is a film that will certainly delight classic film fans. Michael Apted's direction is fluent, and near perfect, and he can clearly craft a movie that stands out in terms of rich storytelling. I really thought that Agatha was a wonderful film, which based on a real life ordeal of famed crime author, Dame Agatha Christie. Vanessa Redgrave is spectacular and perfect in the lead role, and the rest of the cast fit nicely along Redgrave. What we have here is an entertaining film that is engaging from start to finish. The plot is interesting and compelling. There are things that could have been improved upon, and the script could clearly have been polished up a bit, but for what it is, it's a worthwhile film that is very good and is a must for viewers that enjoy a good drama. Agatha does fall short in some areas, like I've stated before, but it is nonetheless a picture that is held together with strong performances, and in the end, that's all that matters because what we have here is a film that overcomes its shortcomings by its cast. Sometimes that's all you need. Maybe one day they'll be a fully fledged, well detailed biopic on the life of Agatha Christie, until then, a film detailing a mysterious period of her life will suffice. Consideri8ng that Agatha Christie is such an icon of 20th century literature, you'd expect a slightly better film. Well, this is a good film, but it is flawed, and it could have been much better than the final product.
April 22, 2011
The last scene was unexpected but very just like Agatha. (But this is not real story, estimated. )I like her dresses in this film. they were 1920's style. Sometime I want to go to the place,Harrogate! My birthday is the same as her, September 15. I have not read her books a lot but I'm curious about her and her life recently.
March 22, 2011
Agatha Christie had a terrible year in 1926. Her mother died, she began getting depressed and to top it all off her husband, Archie, admits that he's been having an affair. He leaves her during a brief altercation with Agatha after telling her about the affair. That very night she left. A note to her secretary mentioning that she was going to Yorkshire. She never makes it there and instead crashes into a tree after being distracted by a dog in the road.

The car is later found, but not with her in it. This begins a massive manhunt to search for Agatha that doesn't get solved until 11 days later. Many rumors spread about of her committing suicide, but her husband Archie doesn't believe so and when questioned by authorities they see a man who doesn't seem all too worried about his wife.

Wally Stanton is a newspaper reporter and an avid Agatha Christie fan. He loves her books and her as well. He becomes fascinated by Agatha's disappearance and wants to find her. She so happens to be found at a Spa, but under a different name. She uses the name of her husband's mistress, Nancy (or Teresa) Neele and plots revenge against her. The revenge, however, is more of a suicide attempt by which she tries to make Nancy out to be a murderer through an odd looking device that resembles the electric chair, but really isn't.

Now, Agatha, may or may not be pretending at this point that she is someone else. She took a bump on the head from that crash and much speculation could lead you, the viewer, to think it must be amnesia. I'm not entirely certain if she had it or she knew what she was doing. All the more it's only for dramatic effect since it's really made up to begin with. Amnesia could be the realistic case, but the way it's presented here makes you think otherwise to the ever growing speculations that revolve around her disappearance in general.

Wally is aware that it is Agatha and uses this opportunity to woo her and to grab a story out this weird situation. Agatha isn't aware of who she is and continues onward on her plot of revenge. The sappy aspects of Wally and Agatha don't really hold up well. They're romantic enough, but I always got a sneaking suspicion that Wally was involuntarily using her.

The climax of the film is shocking. I don't mean that in a surprising way. It's just how Agatha becomes to be. Wally makes it in time for her to be saved and when she is returned back the people are a bit disappointed. I was too.

It begins with a scrolling title explaining that what you're about to see is a fictional account of what might have happened when Agatha Christie disappeared. So, I guess that must mean that every thing else was made up. From Wally Stanton to Agatha being electrocuted to Agatha's revenge plot against her husband's mistress. I enjoyed the sophisticated way this film was directed. If I had to recommend this film, I'd recommended it for that and that alone. Hoffman does an okay job at being an actor playing what is obviously a fictional character parading around as a "love" interest.

Overall, a slick and well paced film that jumbles between fact and fiction. Actually, it's mostly fiction.
½ February 12, 2011
A gentle film for Sunday afternoons, with solid performances from Redgrave and Hoffman, that also throws in a surprising twist worthy of Christie herself.
½ February 11, 2011
Given that this is a fictional account of Agatha Christie's missing days it could have been a lot more imaginative with the storyline.
February 8, 2011
Hoffman and Christie at their best....great cinematography as well
½ May 11, 2010
This is one of my all time favorite movies; I even bought it when I could no longer find it in the rental stores anymore becuase it was so old. The tension and intelligence in this movie make it completely worth seeing; the main characters solidly hold their own on screen - especially Dustin Hoffman. The time warp is also interesting in that it is set in 1926, with Vanessa Redgrave playing a very convincingly upset and frazzled Agatha Christie - but still stable enough to organize an amazing coup on her rival for her husband. Totally worth seeing; if you don't, you'll miss a great piece of history that may or may not have happened.
May 16, 2009
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie,,,i think that dustin hoffman, vanessa redgrave, timothy dalton, paul brooke, celia gregory, helen morse play good roles/parts throughout this movie...i think that the director of this drama/mystery/suspense movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie its a good movie 2 watch..
March 26, 2009
'Agatha' dramatiserer et stykke virkelighed, hvor den beroemte krimiforfatterinde Agatha Christie, over et par uger var forsvundet sporloest. Som film er den fint spillet med gode navne, men den er tamt udfoert og med en for mig at se, lettere ligegyldig historie der bygger paa gaetterier og rygter. Saa trods enkelte kvaliteter, saa er det svaert ikke at kede sig.
½ January 25, 2009
There are clever little appreciated touches, like pianistism, shyness and plotting.
But, generally, this film, it's writers, and Dustin Hoffman rape the memory of the late, great Christie
½ June 11, 2005
FASCINATING AND INTERESTING MYSTERY ABOUT THE REAL LIFE DISSAPPEARANCE OF WRITER AGATHA CHRISTIE. EXPERLY PERFORMED BY VANESSA REDGRAVE AND DUSTIN HOFFMAN.