Albatross Reviews

• Feb 19, 2017

Quality acting by the three female leads. Does a nice job representing teenager struggles.

• Jan 15, 2017

Not the worst step along my quest to see everything that Felicity Jones has been in.

• Apr 02, 2016

This is the only film (on my mind) that I actively hate. To me, it seemed like an attempt to make something people would consider 'important' and it failed terribly. I found each character irritating, especially Emilia who was clearly meant to be 'rebellious' but came off as whiny, self absorbed, cruel and unlikable. I found myself rooting against her. Honestly, I find that this film lacks so much in every department. This wasn't bad in an entertaining way, it was just bad.

• May 25, 2015

This drama was one of those that you feel the characters. The two leading ladies did a great job at acting this movie out. This is particularly a story that some people can relate to. This movie kept me moving until the end and it did not disappoint at all. Why do people don't pay attention to this kind of movies????? As that being said and for this movie being one hidden gem, I give "Albatross" a C.

• Feb 13, 2015

Not bad at all, once you unwrap the plot from the tourist board's commercial for the Isle of Man. The acting is credible, although the plotting is a bit loose. The human situations here are credible and the resolution is positive.

• Feb 05, 2015

WOW....WOW....WOW...WOW...WOW....SO SO SO BRILLIANT.....I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A GREAT MOVIE 2 WATCH, ITS GOT A GREAT CAST OF ACTORS/ACTRESSESS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....I THINK THAT Sebastian Koch, felicity jones, Julia Ormond, Jessica brown Findlay, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....I think that the director of this drama/art house/international/comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.... The film's premise revolves around a teenage aspiring writer entering the lives of a dysfunctional family living in the south coast of England. "Albatross" is a metaphor used to describe a constant and inescapable burden. The film was shot entirely on the Isle of Man with the support of the Island's government. It is MacCormick's feature film debut, having previously made his name in television. Also making her debut was screenwriter Tamzin Rafn. Rafn based the script on her own experiences as a rebellious teenager. Albatross premiered at the Edinburgh International Film Festival in June 2011. It was released in the United Kingdom on 14 October 2011. While the film has gathered mixed reviews, Brown Findlay has received near-universal praise for her performance. Albatross is BAFTA-nominated director Niall MacCormick's debut feature film and the first screenplay by Tamzin Rafn. According to Rafn, the script was optioned by producer Marc Samuelson and CinemaNX about three weeks after her agent sent it out. It was then sent out to directors, some of whom Rafn met. She said MacCormick was one of her favourites and was "really glad" when the script was offered to him. Writing Tamzin Rafn wrote the screenplay of Albatross on weekends over the course of three months while working full-time during the weekdays. The film's recurring theme, one's desire to escape from something holding her back, is derived from Rafn's personal experiences. Rafn grew up in the quiet town of Worthing on the south coast of England and spent her teenage years wanting to leave. According to her, "pushing the boundaries came as a result of that being an actuality in my teens. It just so turns out that being a nightmare comes naturally to me. And writing Emilia was like writing a version of myself but adding characteristics to make it filmic and that meant giving her some tragedy and heart to explain her behaviour." Rafn credited Diablo Cody as inspiration for her to write about her own experiences. Cody began her foray into writing by penning a memoir about her career as a stripper. She later won an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for the film Juno. Rafn said, "What I did know about though was naughty girls in seaside towns. I knew that because I'd been one and I always loved movies about people who misbehaved... So I sat down and I thought about everything I loved in movies. That list ran to: naughty girls, seaside towns, writers and scandalous behaviour. I then watched every movie that fitted that for me - The Wonder Boys, The Squid and the Whale, Wish You Were Here, The Door in the Floor, Thirteen." man this is such a really sad movie 2 watch, it is such a beautifully directed movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch, it is a really sad movie 2 watch, but it is such brilliant movie, its got a great soundtrack throughout this movie but it is such a great movie 2 watch......

• Jan 29, 2015

A more thoughtful teenage angst film, but it's also about control and trying to discover oneself, for all three of the main characters.

• Jan 17, 2015

Very enjoyable British indie film :) Loved it !

Very enjoyable British indie film :) Loved it !

• Dec 06, 2014

Jessica Brown Findlay has been a curiosity as of late. I just wonder how much range this young starlet has. She is just magic on screen. In the indie hit from 2011, Findlay plays Emelia, a rebellious teen and aspiring novelist. She meets mousy Beth (Felicity Jones) and strikes up a friendship. Emelia starts taking creative writing lessons from Beth's novelist-father (Sebastian Koch) and they begin a tryst. This is also a coming of age story but with so many delicious layers. Each character has several motives and it is fascinating. I loved the contrast between Beth and Emelia and how the girls grew from each other. I liked the mystery around Emelia and how her plight is so much about self identity. The main players are all really good. This is a really tight and fascinating little movie. Kind of wished it was longer. (4 out of 5) So Says the Soothsayer.

• Sep 19, 2014

One of the best British movies I've seen in a long, long time.

One of the best British movies I've seen in a long, long time.