Alien - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Reviews

May 24, 2017
Visually breath-taking even now, this Ridley Scott masterpiece brings to life one of the seminal villains of filmmaking history with a masterful stroke. Instead of relying on gore to provide it's horror, suspense has you on the edge of your street even after it ends.
May 23, 2017
Slow, atmospheric and sublime. Will probably never be bested.
May 22, 2017
One of my all time Alien Classics, lol, Shut up, It's me all time Classic.
An amazing adventure that rocketed me into the Alien/Sci-Fi realm.
May 21, 2017
This is the best horror film and sci-fi film ever made. The pacing is perfect as it builds up the dread for the audience. Once the deaths begin, there is no relief. Scott is masterful at building the suspense and allowing the audience to get to know the crew and all their personalities. We actually come to care about these people and want to see them escape. The Alien itself is one of the creepiest movie monsters in cinema history too. Despite what some claim, this movie is so much more than a slasher movie in space. It deals with sexual anxiety, feminism, the plight of the working class, and an anxiety towards space exploration. After watching 'Alien', do we really want to know what kind of life forms might be out there?
May 21, 2017
Alien is not just a perfect amalgamation of science fiction and horror, but truly a perfect film. The film was groundbreaking with it's bleak and claustrophobic vision of space, as well as visually breathtaking. Alien is a true landmark of cinematic storytelling that has easily withstood the test of time.
May 21, 2017
This Movie Was 34 Years Old On 5/25/13.
May 21, 2017
This movie is so stupid is not worth wasting two hours of your life. The "astronauts" act as if they didn't have any training. One of them can't handle anything, less alone an emergency situation or applying first aid to someone in need. They act like a bunch of airheads that were going to a hiking trip but suddenly ended up in the space. It is so bad and predictable that at the middle of the movie you just wish they get it over with so you can go home.
½ May 20, 2017
Though some of its scare-tactics are dated and I find it hard to see past the guy in a suit, this sci-fi classic's strengths lie in the believability of its characters, the intricacy of its sets and the palpability of its atmosphere.
May 20, 2017
Great cult classic that relies on tension more than jump scares.
½ May 20, 2017
Classic flick. Science fiction at it's best.
May 19, 2017
I LOVE this film so much. The way that Ridley Scott made it was such a incredible thing I didn't keep my eyes off of it sci-fi mix with horror is so fucking good. Love it and what a classic sci-fi film. The best of the best.
½ May 19, 2017
Man do I love that scene when the alien pops out of Kane's stomach! Overall, Alien is a great movie! I loved the connection between Ridley and Dallas. Also, the alien's looks so real! You're not going to believe who Ash actually is!j
May 19, 2017
Arguably the best straight up sci-fi horror movie ever made, Alien is a slow burn that grabs you tight and doesn't let go until the credits roll. The acting, suspense, direction, musical score, and script are all top notch, and the film stays scary even after multiple viewings.
May 19, 2017
I think I've seen this once since the 1980s, has aged very well and still managed to make me jump a couple of times
May 19, 2017
What this sci-fi horror masterpiece boils down to is quite simple: a monster movie in space. That's what you're getting at the end of the day, but you're also getting brilliant direction from the great Ridley Scott, an incredibly commanding lead performance by the wonderful Sigourney Weaver, bone-chilling, atmospheric music by Jerry Goldsmith, and a collection of revolutionary special effects. This is a well-oiled machine of a horror film that functions highly on every conceivable level.
May 19, 2017
I don't think I have to make it obvious to you all out there that the horror genre is, probably, my favorite movie genre. There's really no other genre like it in terms of its dedicated fanbase, who will wade through oceans of shit in order to find a modern classic of the genre. The horror genre also has its opportunists trying to cash in on a dedicated fanbase, who will watch just about anything for their horror fix, and they purposely put out shitty movies knowing that, at least a few people out there in the world will give their film a shot because it's a horror flick. Superhero flicks are the closest thing possible to this in terms of rabid fanbases. But the one difference is the fact that hardcore superhero fans aren't seeking out low-budget, independent superhero flicks. If they were then that market would have been over-saturated by this point, as if it wasn't already saturated in the mainstream. The point that I'm trying to make is the fact that there are movies that every horror geek should watch, at least, once in their lifetime. It doesn't even matter if you end up liking the movie or not, but it's something that you must see. The Exorcist, Evil Dead 2, Carpenter's The Thing are on those list, if I were to compile my own. And many people would also say that that list wouldn't be complete without Alien. If I'm gonna be honest, I have absolutely no recollection of ever watching this movie in its entirety. I'm certain I have, but if I did then it must have been over 20 years ago. I'm 29 now, so I don't even wanna think of how far back I'd have to go if I actually did watch this movie. But Alien is just one of those movies that, even without watching it, you know of it by reputation. Alien is, after all, one of the more financially successful horror franchises in history. It might even be the most successful horror film franchise of all time, as, across six films, they've managed to gross $1.1 billion worldwide (and Alien Covenant just came out). Compare that to Friday the 13th which, they've grossed $465 million worldwide across TWELVE movies (Freddy vs Jason is included). Friday the 13th has twice as many movies as the Alien franchise and it has made less than half of the money. Honestly, I've been looking for this movie for months. I contemplated getting the Blu-Ray for this and Aliens, but I just can't afford it right now. So I had to settle for recording it on DVR off of IFC. IFC, sadly, has commercials, but they never edit movies for content or time, so this was as close as I was gonna get to watching the original cut without actually spending the money to buy it. What'd I think of the movie? I'll be straight up, I don't think I've seen a horror movie do so much with so little. And I don't mean that in derisive way. I think one of the benefits with this approach is that you can build so much dread out of showing very little of the actual alien itself. And that was by design, Ridley Scott made the movie this way, not like in Jaws where the shark not being shown until the end was done more out of necessity. Showing very little of the alien allows the audience to make up an image of what it looks like in their own mind, this adds more tension and suspense to the scene where the alien is actually shown. They're also very clever in that, almost, every instance where you see the creature, it has evolved in appearance from the previous scene it appeared in. First you see the facehugger, then in the next scene you might see it evolve the chestbuster. The final transformation, of course, is the full-grown xenomorph. Though you never get a full look at its body, just bits and pieces. This effect is, of course, lessened when everyone and their mother knows what traditional xenomorphs look like in today's era. That still doesn't mean that the thought process behind the design of the xenomorph, which is absolutely tremendous, very grotesque and completely reminiscent of its creator's (HR Giger) style. The other reason the film works so well is that the fact that it takes in such an enclosed spaceship. You have to deal with the fact that you don't know when this creature is gonna appear and where from, but you also have the claustrophobic setting to boot. These people are stuck in space with this thing (their shuttle can't carry all of them), so that certainly puts them all on edge. In terms of narrative, I don't wanna say the movie is empty, because it's not, but it's not the most important thing. There's clearly some hints here at a bigger picture type thing, like the xenomorph can be used as a weapon. Again, there's only hints here and I don't even know if Aliens explore these issues at length. This is a movie more about survival more than any deep existential exploration, as I'm sure Prometheus explored. They get the survival/space horror in this movie down pat, there's very few movies better than this of this genre. So, yea, I thought this was a pretty great movie. It's aged very well, particularly for a movie that turns FORTY years old in two years from now. It's still a visually intriguing movie, from the way it's shot, to the design of the ship, to the planet the crew explores, it is quite the movie to look at. And, again, that's even with the fact that it's showing its age in some areas. The cast is great, no complaints on that front. Sigourney Weaver is the ultimate badass and she always has been. She portrays Ripley as a headstrong, yet vulnerable character. She's not, at least in this movie, a straight-up ass kicker and that makes her a more interesting character than, say, a Rambo, who feels nothing but anger. I don't know what else I can say about this movie. Oh, the musical score is great as well. There's very little about this movie that I didn't like in all honesty. While I wish I would have watched this without commercials, since they killed some of the flow of the film, this is still a seminal piece of work and one that I would highly, HIGHLY recommend even if you're not a big horror fan. I think this is the type of movie that transcends the genre.
May 18, 2017
It's good for what it was, but not my favorite
May 17, 2017
One of the best (if not THE best) science fiction / horror / suspense films ever made! The special effects were really something to be seen at the time, and they still rival all of the cheaper horror movies made today. No CGI back then meant much more time, hard work and imagination went into making this film. This film was the first ever of it's kind that I can remember where an unknown species impregnated another being in that manner. The face-hugger and chest-burster were totally new conceptions back in 1979. I was only 12 years of age when I first saw this film in a movie theater, and I was blown away by it! I didn't go in expecting anything special from viewing this film because the trailer for it revealed so little. It was a true shocker! An absolute great film for anyone out there who loves science fiction, horror and suspense. I'll also add, the acting is top-notch.
½ May 17, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Ridley Scott nos ofrece una obra maestra de la ciencia ficción, con un guión soberbio y una excelente puesta en escena.
May 17, 2017
This is one of the best sci-fi horror film's of all time, the tension is on point with some of the scariest scenes put to screen.