Alien - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Reviews

½ January 18, 2018
The suspense generated in every single frame of this film is electrifying. The smart idea to keep the xenomorph hidden from the audience is a very smart decision and only ramps up the fear even more. The ultimate claustrophobic thriller.

A
January 15, 2018
My favourite movie. Giger's involvement puts this movie over the top
January 14, 2018
Superb production quality. Gripping story. Very credible effects. A classic.
January 11, 2018
A start to one of, if not, the best Sci-Fi movie series ever conceveid. It's here that the horrid Xenomorph first apears. The movie is full of eerie moments with twists and turns that are unnexpected, putting the viewer on it's toes, awaiting for the moment when the Alien will appear. A trully wonderfull experience, and a must see for any Sci-fi/Thriller lover!
January 11, 2018
Certainly one of the best movies ever made
½ January 1, 2018
Atmosphere and sense of claustrophobic enviroment made "Alien" one of best sc-fi horror films ever made and one of the most haunting movies I ever seen. Kudos to Ridley Scott for great directing and Sigourney Weaver for portraying one of the most memorable lead characters in film history
Rating: 8.9 out of 10.
January 1, 2018
One of the most iconic horror franchises in movie history, the Alien franchise has had a tremendous influence on pop culture. Ridley Scott's original Alien is a seamless blend of suspense and terror that never lets the audience breath, even if it did create some of the horror movie tropes seen today. Deliberately slow, sometimes to the detriment of the film, Alien was revolutionary for its time and still holds up to this day. I understand why so many people love this film but I find it somewhat slow and sometimes repetitive which is why I don't find myself returning to this film as much as other Ridley Scott films, Blade Runner for example, yet it is undeniably one of the breakthrough films of its era. 4/5
December 29, 2017
This is one science fiction movie that every fan of the genre must see.
December 28, 2017
A paradigmatic movie on the meaning of exploration and the perils of the unknown. But the ultimate enemy, as usual, is humanity itself. Great terror scenes, great ambientation from Nostromo, an apparently perfectly controlled futuristic space ship, to a strange planet, where all technology can do nothing against the perfect killing machine, the Alien itself.
Perfect.
December 27, 2017
My favourite movie of all time!! Nothing has ever come to match it!
December 24, 2017
A classic horror film that even to this day it has a great story to tell. It keeps you on the edge of your seat up until it is over.
December 24, 2017
Amazing movie, its a classic.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Ridley Scott nos ofrece una obra maestra de la ciencia ficción, con un guión soberbio y una excelente puesta en escena.
½ December 16, 2017
Genuinely creepy. The original Sci Fi horror flick. Definitely worth seeing.
December 15, 2017
Three movies i allways have trouble picking from my all time favorites involve Alien, Return of the jedi and Jurassic park!
½ December 10, 2017
A sci-fy/horror hybrid that proves the unseen is scarier than its counterpart. Ridley's exploitation of the unseen proves terrifying, but once the audience comes face to face with its spine-chilling antagonist, it proves to be nothing more than a slimy, slug-like creature.
½ November 28, 2017
A good suspense film that may need multiple viewings to fully appreciate. I highly recommend to watch Alien and Aliens back to back to get the fullest experience.
November 27, 2017
This film is a classic! Scene to scene.
November 26, 2017
Alien (1979) Movie Review

If you really think about it, the original Alien movie is about as complex of a storyline as Halloween or Vacation. All it is is a big scary alien on a spaceship killing people. And it's done so well that I might even like it more than its fantastic sequel, Aliens. So in case you haven't seen Alien, here is the basic synopsis. In deep space, the ship Nostromo gets a distress call from an unknown planet. They get to the planet and find hundreds of alien eggs. Kane (John Hurt), one of the ship's mechanics, is attacked by the creature that hatches from one of the eggs. The crew figures out that the distress call they received was actually a warning. They flee the planet and start to investigate the extraterrestrial life form attached to Kane's head, called a facehugger. Eventually the crew freezes the facehugger off of Kane and everything returns to normal. But at breakfast that day, Kane dies in what is possibly one of the most memorable death scenes in any movie ever when another alien, called the chestburster, aptly bursts out of his chest. The chestburster scurries off into the depths of the ship, and the crew is left with no choice but to track it down. Soon enough they realize that the alien has evolved and is picking them off one by one. Needless to say, Alien is truly amazing. The special and practical effects are both spectacular, especially for the time. I also must add that the costume work on both the crew members' uniforms and the xenomorph (the titular alien) in particular are excellent. I'm trying not to run out of synonyms to great: I've already used fantastic, excellent, spectacular, and amazing. Next up is incredible I think. Ridley Scott's direction of the movie is incredible. The lighting and suspense add to the overall horror vibe of Alien, which is something Aliens lacks. I mean, Aliens is good and all, but to be honest, it's really not that scary. Alien is scary. The xenomorph is terrifying, far more menacing than the Yautja of the Predator series. And the constant sequences of suspense and then jump scares are great because they never let you breath. Even the first half of the movie, which has close to zero scares, is chilling because you just know that awful things are going to happen to these people. If you watch other confined horror movies like the other Alien movies, Predator, or The Thing, then you know that the fact that it is set in a claustrophobic place makes it scarier. Sure, you feel it in those movies. But while I was watching Alien, I REALLY felt the whole "closed in" thing. There's really nowhere to hide. In Predator, the jungle is a pretty big place, so I guess you can kind of move around. In The Thing, you can always just go outside, but you'd probably freeze to death. In Aliens, there's the ship, and the planet, and all of those places. But in Alien, it's just the ship and that's it. There's no escape (don't even bring up the escape pod because I don't really want to rewrite all of those sentences). I thought that almost all of the actors in this movie did a great job. Especially Sigourney Weaver and Ian Holm as Ripley and Ash. For some reason I felt like Ash wasn't a good name for Ian Holm's character. Ash is a name for a generic teenage boy or a grumpy dog or some mythical action hero. Not a snobby English android. Ash just doesn't seem like an Ash. At first, you can't really tell who the main character is. So great.
November 22, 2017
One of the greatest sci-fi horror movies of all time, Alien manages to stand the test of time. Nothing feels outdated. Sigourney Weaver shines as Ripley who, rather than be the type of girl in a horror movie who stands around screaming helplessly, is a strong woman who's one of only few with any common sense. The effects remain great. The xenomorph, the chestburster scene, that specific scene with LOTR Bilbo. It moves at a steady pace which makes everything seem all the more scary as you notice something and think to yourself "Look behind you!!!" Ridley Scott wasn't joking around when making this scary sci-fi movie that makes the idea of forced pregnancy even more frightening especially since a man suffers this fate. The definitive sci-fi horror classic. Screw Event Horizon.