Alien - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Reviews

July 29, 2016
Brilliant film for its time, Bits still make me jump now, The start of a great franchise, Brilliantly told and some great acting too.
July 28, 2016
***
It's a very well made, certainly tense and occasionally frightening movie that succeeds as a sci-fi horror. However, there are some ridiculous decisions made by the crew that I can't just ignore. Ultimately, if you like this kind of thing, you'll like Alien. For me personally, some of the scenes intended to be tense I simply found boring.
July 23, 2016
Alien is one of the best science fiction films ever made. Incredibly fast paced even by today's standards. Too bad it was followed up by action schlock with James Cameron's Aliens.
July 15, 2016
My all time favorite horror movie
½ July 15, 2016
I enjoyed this thriller
July 14, 2016
One of my favourite films. Possibly the best, most stylish, and intense blend of science fiction and horror. Alien is a movie with a presence and commands respect. It's not just a classic because "it's a classic" - it's genuinely one of the most innovative and creepy sci-fi/horror films that still holds up well today.
½ July 13, 2016
A Haunted House in Space
A Slightly Skewed review of "Alien"

To say that the film Alien was simply a "haunted house in space" may sound a bit diminishing but it's not meant to. Released on May 25, 1979 and directed by Ridley Scott, it went on to produce three sequels, a "prequel" in the film Prometheus (also directed by Ridley Scott), two crossover films with the popular Predator franchise, and countless comics, video games, and merchandise. But what about the film that started it all? Let's get into that. P.S. There will be some SPOILERS in this review. The film is 37 years old, so if you want the short review: It's good, go watch it! Anyway, on with the review......

Opening on a cold, panning shot of deep space, the credits do what most opening credits don't even bother to do today; they set the mood. The music is a series of clicks and swells of noise and spooky harmonics. It's truly haunting. We then see the primary setting of the film: The Nostromo, a commercial towing vehicle with a huge mineral ore refinery in tow. The camera moves inside as we get to see all of the intricate hallways and passages of the ship. This shows the claustrophobic setting that we will be dealing with. Everything is cramped and looks dingy and used, and the whole ship is dimly lit. The set design is of particular note throughout the movie. Our main characters are the crew of said ship on a return trip to Earth. They are awakened out of stasis by the main computer of the ship; called MOTHER, to respond to a distress signal coming from a nearby planet. As the Nostromo is just a glorified tow truck in space, the crew is quite small, consisting of just seven people. After a series of discussion about responding to the distress signal and a point being made that they all are REQUIRED to check any sign of "intelligent life" or they won't be paid. As all of them are just working stiffs, they begrudgingly go to the planet to investigate the signal. Upon landing on the planet LV-426, three of the crew go outside to check the surface for an indication of where the signal is coming from. They find it inside of a huge, horseshoe shaped spacecraft that looks to have crash landed eons ago. They move into the ship to investigate further, all the while the sounds of the desolate planet winds blow harshly outside. Moving into the bowels of the ship one crew member; Kane, finds an expansive nest of large pods that could be described as eggs. When he moves in to look at one that had opened, a spider-like creature bursts out, breaking through his space helmet and attaching itself to his face. The other two find him and bring him back to the ship. Upon trying to remove the creature from Kane's face the crew finds that when they try to make an incision on the creature's leg, it spews out a highly acidic blood that eats through a few floors of their ship. This thing isn't coming off. After a while they find Kane awake and the creature dead, seemingly falling off and dying on it's own. As they are all eating a meal together, Kane starts coughing and convulsing. A splash of blood and the crack of bone give way as a small snake like being bursts from his chest, killing him. This is the titular "Alien". It speeds off into the ducts of the ship as the crew wonder what they just saw. The plan is made to find the little monster (which is about the size of a small cat) and kill/capture it, but the problem is that there are no weapons on the ship, no firearms of any kind. They rig up some cattle prods and flame throwers and the hunt is on. They do find the alien but in the few hour that it took them to find it, the creature is now massive, standing around eight feet tall with long gangly arms, a long tail, and a curved elongated head. They alien's design is one of a kind, its never been replicated and will never be forgotten once seen. Systematically the alien kills the crew one by one until just Ellen Ripley (played by Sigourney Weaver) is the only one left. The plan now is to set the Nostromo to self destruct hopefully taking the Alien with it. Thus starts the nail-biting final race to see if Ripley escapes or if she's doomed to join her dead compatriots. To say that the film is a masterpiece is a little cliché but it's true. The atmosphere in this movie is astounding. I can't think of a movie that, quite-literally in some cases, drips with so much atmosphere. There are moments of pure terror unmatched by many films except for Halloween. The Alien is one of cinema's most enduring monsters along with the likes of Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Freddy Krueger, and his ultimate rival The Predator. I know I glossed over many of the characters but the less said, the better. The ending is of particular note, and my personal favorite sequence of the whole film, I'd even go as far as to say that the last ten minutes would function fine as a short film on its own, but I don't want to spoil EVERYTHING for those of you that haven't seen it. I will say that if you are looking for a ton of action throughout, you might want to stick to the first sequel "ALIENS", as this one takes it's time getting to the point when you actually see the alien in its full grown glory. And the scares do become a bit conventional and dare I say predictable once the alien starts it's killing spree. Characters walk off by themselves when you know they should stick together. But that's about all I can say negative about it. The acting, music, set design, cinematography, and lighting are all wonderful. I'd give it 4 &1/2 stars out of 5. It just barely falls short of being perfect because of its own horror movie trappings. There are twists that you may not see coming, like one of the crew members being not what they seem and also proposed the question: Is the Alien the true villain, or is it the corporation that the Nostromo crew work for? Give it a watch. I can think of worse ways to spend two hours. And remember as the tagline for the movie says, "In space no one can hear you scream".
½ July 13, 2016
A fantastic blend of sci-fi and horror, incredibly suspenseful and carefully elaborated with a perfect pacing. Scott knows very well how to slowly build a disquieting tension and elevate it to the point of nerve-wracking, and this film is a genuinely scary modern classic.
July 12, 2016
A beautiful set-design, good characters and effect that still hold on to today's standards.
July 11, 2016
To quote YourMovieSucks, if a horror movie doesn't scare you, what else does it offer? In this case, it's not a whole lot. There are some cool sets and the performances are fine, but in terms of a story or scares I wasn't getting much. I could maybe see why people were scared of this movie, but because I wasn't I was forced to look at more than just that aspect. I can commend this movie for the opening. The opening is good. But after that point it just barely rises above mediocrity by the actors and sets. The story isn't terribly predictable, but it's not very strong either. Overall, it's ok. It's not anything I would write home about, but it's not something I'll refuse to watch.
½ July 11, 2016
The crew of a commercial ship is sent a distress signal and the crew is sent to investigate the ship. What they find is a giant batch of eggs. When one of them hatches and its organism leaps out onto one of the crew members face, he slips into a comma and then the terror ensues. Alien has a great lead character and a horrifying creature at the heart of this film. It builds tension and suspense throughout and is one of the best science fiction movies of all time.
July 10, 2016
In space, no one can hear you scream but on earth watching this flick and everyone will hear you. By far one of the best films ever made! Even though the movie starts off a little too slow for some, once the film picks up it will have you on the edge of your seat. This film perfectly mixes adventure with horror and still holds up as one of the scariest films to date!
July 5, 2016
Great addition to a great film.
July 5, 2016
Just like for Blade Runner, and Kingdom of Heaven, Ridley Scott elevates a great movie to even higher levels.
July 5, 2016
as a kid I almost couldn't sleep after watching this, now the addition of the maggot scene.... holy crickey.
½ July 5, 2016
they made the movie scarer then it should of bin
July 5, 2016
Just as scary and atmospheric as the original. There are moments where it was understandable to remove some of the shots and extras, but there are also some scenes where it heightens the scariness of the scene and provides even more insight to the mysterious creature.
July 5, 2016
this is the best version of this classic, it has everything you love about the theatrical version, and more
July 5, 2016
An interesting take on the original Alien.
July 5, 2016
Just as good as the original, if not better. Some has been trimmed, some good stuff has been added. Still a classic.