Alien - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Reviews

March 27, 2017
In many ways, it's a perfect horror movie.
March 19, 2017
While I prefer the action-packed thrills of James Cameron's sequel, it is hard to deny the mastery on display in this quietly tense piece of sci-fi horror that still makes me jump after countless views.
March 19, 2017
Terrible underrated movie starring Sigourney weaver, I can't believe that this movie is called the best horror movie of all time. To me this movie sucks, it's not iconic and the only good thing about this movie is the alien when it kills everybody, that's it.
March 15, 2017
Basically it's Jaws..... in space!
March 14, 2017
a si-fi horror thriller with clever pacing and thrilling tension that never feels outdated a timeless classic.
March 13, 2017
still holds up as one of the greatest films/horror films of all time.
March 8, 2017
One of the best horror and suspenseful films of all time. Ridley Scott's masterpiece is both terrifying and suspenseful with a sensational female role by Sigourney Weaver.
March 6, 2017
I prefer Aliens, but it was nice to see where it all started
March 6, 2017
Masterful. One of the most interesting and terrifying films ever. So atmospheric, Alien will stay with you for years.
½ March 5, 2017
Great movie...only surpassed in the series by the larger budgeted sequel.
February 24, 2017
Exquisitely shot by Ridley Scott, "Alien" is a template sci-fi/horror diversion. It's very atmospheric from the get-go, has a good cast and a suitably eerie score, can get pretty distressing and, despite a slight dip in quality towards the end, goes out with a bang (lots of them in fact). Also worthy of mention is the design of the titular creature, by the one and only H.R. Giger. "Alien" is a flawed classic, and definitely one of a kind.
February 23, 2017
'Alien' is a master work of science fiction horror, properly setting up the suspenseful tone with incredible production design, long tracking shots, and an eerie sense of realism, despite its intentionally slow pace.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B-
It's a very well made, certainly tense and occasionally frightening movie that succeeds as a sci-fi horror. However, there are some ridiculous decisions made by the crew that I can't just ignore. Ultimately, if you like this kind of thing, you'll like Alien. For me personally, some of the scenes intended to be tense I simply found boring.
February 19, 2017
Pretty good, a little slow at the beginning, but it is an overall great movie full of action, suspense, and horror!! Not to scary though :)
February 10, 2017
it's enjoyable but one of the most overrated movies of all time
February 7, 2017
Claustrophobic in outer space, things are not what they seem - brilliant suspense, fast moving, stunning sets even more shocking that they were built on a low budget.
Brilliantly holds its suspense.
This shocked the world two years after Star Wars reinvigorated interest in all things outer space.
Beware of what you find out there.
Muahaha..

This is the perfect suspense/horror/outer space flick that will intrigue and terrify, and it still holds up after almost 40 yrs.

5 out of 5 silent space screams
2/12/16
February 6, 2017
the Classic Alien the first film the alien Franchise Directed by Ridley Scott was a mixture of classic alien movies and horror movies smashed into one first time i watched it it was sending chills down my spine and its also what got me into the alien movies
February 6, 2017
One of the best horror movies ever.
February 6, 2017
here are many things we hope to find in space
such as aliens, habitable planets, and things beyond wildest dreams. But what happens when we discover something that rather use us as an incubator for their offspring. "Alien" by Ridley scott ,a fantasy thriller that was made in 1979, was written just to give a disturbing and frightening reminder that space holds its fair share of friendly creatures and it's less that friendly creatures earning it a R rating. In my late night viewing of "Alien" it had me anticipating the next scare and had me doubting all creaks coming from my house believing it to be a xenomorph coming to dispatch me in a horrific manner and to simply be put do not watch after 10 pm alone unless of course you love staying up till you see the sun. The movie was amazingly written and shot to complement its ingenious writing. The movie perfectly preys on our fear of the unknown that space has and the question that ,all manners of people, do but do not want an answer. The movie starts out simple and deceiving at first with a ship (out unwitting crew) responding to a distress beacon on a moon base. After investigating the base a crew member is attacked by some sort of creature that attaches it to his face. After removing the creature the crew retreats back to the ship to make a hasty retreat but not long after the retreat one of the crew has been meet with its first death from a creature bursting from his chest and escaping into the ship. They then proceed to attempt to hunt down and kill the creature but quite the opposite happens with their crew being picked off one by one almost like clock work. The ending will not be talked about here because the writing and cinematography needs to be watched. The movie all together was amazing, the practical effects speak for them, and there is not a moment where you can not feel the suspense of the crew. The use of practical effects are quite amazing and adds a haunting feeling from how extremely organic many of the gore scenes look and feel. The highlights of these examples are of when the alien bursts out of the chest, the scene where Ash was (spoiler warning) discovered to be an android, and the alien suit itself. Beginning with the chestburster was nothing but practical effects that used blood packs, sheep organs, and a puppet. This scene was amplified with, not only, the shock value but the fact the actors were not informed of what was going to happen. The next is the cyborg scene where it looks to be real wiring and fluid coming out but it really is nothing more than milk and pasta. The most important character the alien itself is nothing more than a person in a latex suit that has hoses attached to it and a series of other parts used to make a more organic look.
The movie all together is quite amazing and well written earning its place as one of the greatest space movies ever. It is worth watching and worth the praises that critics have given it.

-- Mateo Valdez
February 4, 2017
There are many things we hope to find in space