Alien - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Reviews

July 20, 2017
"Its structural perfection is matched only its hostility."
Fewer words. #8 years later, I still can depend on one
July 20, 2017
This movie is the ideal monster movie turned into an alien movie, it will horrify you, and confuse you over the alien's physique and ability to grow
½ July 18, 2017
Never a single moment in this movie that is not interesting, where there is great dialogue, great acting, and a great ending. Highly recommended
July 17, 2017
Alien is a timeless masterpiece, the best sci-fi horror film and one of the finest blockbusters of all time. Ash the android is such a great character as is Ripley of course who is so well played by Sigourney Weaver in her most famous role. The film is mysterious and atmospheric in its first half and so intense and creepy in the second half. The direction, acting, story and thrills, brilliant editing and amazing special effects all add to such an unforgettable experience.
July 17, 2017
An elegant science-fiction horror, Alien is ingeniously designed, brilliantly plotted and superbly paced. The visual scares are heightened in no small way by a chilling score. What could just have been a great monster movie has an extra layer added by some great, ambiguous characters that keep us guessing what are the motivations and concerns of each of the crew. This is heightened by a strong cast who have a great, rapport and the friction between these very real seeming people as they trying to deal with an unearthly situation provides much of the film's magic. The stand out performance is from Ian Holm and while Weaver is good, she isn't given the opportunity she is in the sequels to develop her character, but her blank canvas makes it easier for the audience to paint themselves into her shoes. There are couple of nit-picking distractions in places, but for intense, memorable experiences, Alien is pretty much perfection.
July 16, 2017
One of the greatest sci-if horror films of all time, Alien is set in space, where 7 people find out about a transmission. One of them is attacked by a creature and eventually, an alien comes out of his chest. The rest are killed, except Ripley, who is the sole survivor and Ash, who turns out to be behind the death of Kane. The film stars Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, Veronica Cartwright, Harry Dean Stanton, John Hurt, Ian Holm and Yaphet Kotto and the film itself is directed by Ridley Scott and the Xenomorph was created by H.R. Giger.
July 11, 2017
The horror movies of the 1970s started a new generation of horror which 1st started off with movies like The Exorcist, The Texas chainsaw massacre, Jaws, The Omen, and Carrie. But there was one movie that made room for 1979 and saved the 70s horror movies, Alien. Ridley Scott's terrific classic film tells the story about these people who are in a space and get a distress and violent call from an alien vessel. The terror begins when they find out that there are thousands of eggs from unidentified species in the ship with them. As soon as they find out about this, a mysterious creature latches itself on to one of the crew members and the crew tries to release it off of his face. Eventually, the creature releases itself and dies with the member unharmed. As the rest of the film progresses, the crew finds out that they're not the only ones in the ship when these in particular deaths occur to the crew one by one from these monstrous unknown species and they have to think of a way to stick together and survive from these monsters.
July 10, 2017
One of my favorite movies ever. More horror than sci-fi, it worked on me partially due to my claustrophobia.
July 7, 2017
Yet not surpassed space slasher horror milestone and one of the most inspired visions from director Ridley Scott, 1979's "Alien" goes brillantly beyond his genre to give off (surprisingly well) inner nightmares of terror, isolation and duress all sipped in this hide&seek with the magnificient beast (the eighth passenger). THE CHARACTER: The rise of the charismatic Ellen Ripley in the second half together with the depiction of her human vulnerability in the claustrophobic setting. THE HIGHLIGHT: The unexpected final confrontation in the 'fourth act'.
July 6, 2017
Yet not surpassed space slasher horror milestone and one of the most inspired visions from director Ridley Scott, 1979's "Alien" goes brillantly beyond his genre to give off (surprisingly well) inner nightmares of terror, isolation and duress all sipped in this hide&seek with the magnificient beast (the eight passenger). THE CHARACTER: The rise of the charismatic Ellen Ripley in the second half together with the depiction of her human vulnerability in the claustrophobic setting. THE HIGHLIGHT: The unexpected final confrontation in the 'fourth act'.
½ July 4, 2017
I'm not a very big fan of movies based on space exploration. The suspenseful parts of the film were very predictable. This just felt like your average suspense film. I'd still recommend people to watch this movie as it is a cult classic that most people will like as this was a movie which set an example of what a horror film should be and set in stone an example to leech from to make a suspense film.
½ July 3, 2017
Foolhardy compromises.
July 3, 2017
This is one of the rare movies that I can watch a few times a year, and I never get sick of watching it ... and it took me well into my 20s before I dared watch it with the lights off.

The details of the story itself is where the horror starts ... not in the amazing visuals, but in the simple idea of what is one of the most horrifying things most of us go through, and that is the idea of giving birth ... it fills women with anxiety, and for men, the thought of going through it is a nightmare. Take away the joy of birth and miracle of creation, and distill the process down to the core fear, pain, blood, and anxiety, and you have the origins of this great story. At the reptilian level of our brains, it is virtually impossible to sit through this and not feel a sickly fear.

Visually, this is no rubber suited actor ... this is an actor in a work of art! Giger's macabre masterpiece of design was the no-brainer to win the Oscar, and despite over 30 years having passed, no one has come close to bringing a more horrifying monster to life. Pair this with the darkness, the steam, and confined space, and what little you were shown was the seed from which the nightmare grew in your mind.

Jerry Goldsmith continues a trend of minimalist music that works brilliantly here ... not quite as atonal as his work on "Planet of the Apes". You don't need a sweeping score to aid your emotions this time ... his mood music fits the bill perfectly. While not as appreciated as some of his better known work in "Chinatown", "The Omen", or even "Star Trek: The Motion Picture", Goldsmith's score for Alien is perfect for setting a dark and dreadful mood.

The big surprise in the film isn't the final stinger at the end ... rather it is the gradual elevation of a woman to the role of hero in a horror film. In the beginning, Weaver's Ellen Ripley is the last character to speaker their first lines in the film. At first you think the hero will be the captain (Tom Skerritt) or the intrepid explorer (John Hurt), but not until the crew is whittled down to the sole survivor do you realize it is this woman, scared out of her wits, who will be alive for the final confrontation. It is brilliant, pioneering writing matched with a great performance that does not give away the heroism too soon.

It spawned many, many pretenders, and set a bar so high that with the exception of James Cameron's brilliant sequel, none of the followup films have approached this level of emotion. It is a landmark film within the genre, and overall a classic in the art of film making.
July 1, 2017
Petrifying and spine-chilling, Alien is One of the Greatest Sci-fi movies of all time.
½ July 1, 2017
One of the greatest sci-fi/horror movies ever made with great direction from sophomore director Ridley Scott, amazing visuals, and one of the most horrifying creatures on film.
June 29, 2017
I am only judging by the present time standards. The storyline is great but the plot is weak and empty and and stretched and filled with many close up shots.
June 28, 2017
One of the most innovative horror films ever made it's simply a masterpiece.
June 25, 2017
Alien is a suspenseful, frightening, the effects still hold up and I'm gonna say it, the effects hold up better than star wars, the sound track is great the acting is almost perfect. I find it great more critics like alien commperd to Star wars not that I don't like star wars I just prefer alien my favorite movie of all time.
June 22, 2017
Great film. Classic. And with every Alien movie since, they haven't been able to recreate the atmosphere the first created.
June 20, 2017
Classic science fiction/horror movie about the crew aboard a space cargo ship who stop to check out life forms its sensors detect. The chest scene is one of the most memorable scenes in cinematic history. Sigourney Weaver though is what makes this movie a classic I really love.