Alien - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Reviews

½ October 27, 2016
Alien might seem a simple story about a beast killing people, but you really need to watch it again to be able to get the whole thing. With an great dark and artistic extraterrestrial atmosphere Alien put us on a story in the open space inside a huge spaceship ans being chased by a creature where the atmosphere keep you thinking that in any moment it will appear and kill someone. Great masterpiece from Riddley Scott which has had an inmense cult following over the years.
October 27, 2016
Solid gold. Claustrophobic, tense and iconic. My favourite is still Aliens, but this is top notch stuff.
October 25, 2016
This movie is perfect in every way.
October 22, 2016
Claustrophobic in out in space, things are not what they seem - brilliant suspense, fast moving, stunning sets even more shocking that they were built on a low budget.
Brilliantly holds its suspense.
This shocked the world two years after Star Wars reinvigorated interest in all things outer space.
Beware of what you find out there.

This is the perfect suspense/horror/outer space flick that will intrigue and terrify, and it still holds up after almost 40 yrs.

5 out of 5 unheard screams
October 22, 2016
An awesome scary sci-fi movie.
October 18, 2016
One of the BEST movie OF ALL FREAKING TIME. The claustrophobic feeling of this MASTERPIECE cannot and will not ever be recreated like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
October 16, 2016
Overrated and boring
½ October 15, 2016
Classic sci-fi from reliable writer O'Bannon and director Scott. Crew aboard a commercial vessel is sidetracked by an unknown signal, bringing aboard an alien life form courtesy of an undermining science officer. Contains a few classic scenes including the alien bursting out of John Hurt's stomach and the demise of android Ash. Excellent cast, with Weaver a breakout star emerging both strong and tough as Ripley.
½ October 12, 2016
This is definitely Ridley Scott's ultimate masterpiece. Some may argue that "Blade Runner" or "Gladiator" is his ultimate masterpiece, but when you think carefully about it, we wouldn't have James Cameron's famous sequel if it weren't for Ridley Scott's groundbreaking space horror of a film. Plus, it's Sigourney Weaver's breakthrough performance that keeps me going back to this spectacle of a space/horror film.
½ October 9, 2016
A very clever, and entertaining movie. Great effects, and this movie has a great leading actor. There is some questionable things in this movie, but It's over all good.
October 4, 2016
For a late 1970's film, visually it looks great thanks to its set designs, practical effects, make up and costume work. It's a interesting film, but I honestly couldn't recommend it. The film's pacing is the biggest issue and the dialogue is really stale.
September 28, 2016
An elegant science-fiction horror, Alien is ingeniously designed, brilliantly plotted and superbly paced. The visual scares are heightened in no small way by a chilling score. What could just have been a great monster movie has an extra layer added by some great, ambiguous characters (What are the motivations and concerns of any of the crew? Is Dallas heroic or deliberately suicidal?). Ian Holm is the stand out performance, Weaver doesn't bring much to the table, but she isn't given the opportunity, so her blank canvas makes it easier for the audience to paint themselves into her shoes. A couple of nit-picking distractions (a couple of poorly delivered exchanges, jazz-hands alien) stop this just short of perfection.
½ September 27, 2016
Alien all in all I found to be very entertaining. Not as entertaining as I expected. A bit boring at times but still really cool.
½ September 23, 2016
Just all around a good movie
September 12, 2016
Finally watched this classic!
The pace is quite slow for 45 minutes, but then tension rises until the end. Quite memorable.
September 11, 2016
Alien will have you gripping the edge of your seat 'til the very end. It is the perfect combination of suspense and thrill which makes it the classic viewers still enjoy today.
September 3, 2016
One of the first horror films I have ever seen and in my opinion it is a masterpiece. The slow camera work is perfect for creating tension and dread of what is about to come next. The alien itself is impressive and the shadows makes the Alien come off even scarier. Seriously. haven't found any issue this film has and I personally rate in #1 in my favorite films of all time.
½ August 30, 2016
Spoiler alert:

In space no one can hear you scream unless you are a squealing Alien being blown out of an airlock.
August 29, 2016
Maybe looking a little on the dated side nowadays next to our level of CGI, Alien still remains a long-lasting classic to our screens... And manages to bridge the gap - not without its flaws - between science-fiction, horror and action, helped mainly by a stellar performance from Sigourney Weaver.
Verdict: B+