Alien - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien Reviews

February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 17, 2018
A masterpiece from the 80s. The story, the implementation, the sets and above all the special (handmade) effects, timeless and decades ahead. Look, they are better than today's CGI and it's over 30 years. At that time we were much more surprised by such film pearls than today. I prefer watching the old movies more often than today's. It is missing today the movies heart and love to the film.
½ February 16, 2018
Saw this movie when I was 11 years old, scared the hell out of me, and still hasn't lost any of it's suspense and grit.
February 16, 2018
My fav movie of all time. This movie is so GREAT!!!!
February 12, 2018
The creative marriage of Ridley Scott and HR Giger (along with a fantastically skilled cast and crew) manage to elevate "Alien's" B-Movie premise, and create something truly frightening and awe inspiring.
Despite being almost 40 years old, Alien is just as suspenseful now as it was when it was released. A timeless horror classic that has endured and will continue to endure.
February 11, 2018
Perhaps everything that could be said on RT about Alien has already been written.

Today's Millennial techies have seen Alien on TV many times and have no doubt been desensitized to the film. It is a pity that those watching Alien today cannot see it through eyes of a person who saw it for the first time in 1979.

In 1979 there was nothing to prepare a movie goer for what they were about to see. Nothing was like it before and films like it after are, to some extent, an homage.

Star Trek and Star Wars projected a futuristic view of a Utopian world so far advanced and different from present day life and science. The Star Wars spacecrafts had clean futuristic lines and the costuming and gadgets were wonderous

A Horror movie in space was essentially new territory. 'The Thing' was perhaps most similar to Alien and has been said to inspire the story. The isolation and foreboding of the Arctic was similar to the emptiness but at the same time claustrophobia of space travel.

Except for the suspended animation chambers in the beginning of Alien, this future is unremarkable and not very awe inspiring
The ship is a hulking unimpressive bilgy utilitarian vessel not unlike a present-day cargo ship.
The crew is not a well-honed team but a scowling, complaining bunch putting in a day's work. Their dress and appearance convey how unremarkable and undisciplined they are, as is their attitude.
There is no endearing android like R2D2 or CP30 here either. These clearly are not the buck Rodgers, Han Solo heroes that we had come to expect from our spacemen and women prior to Alien.
They are not much different from us which, perhaps, makes Alien even more frightening.

In 1979 there was no CGI remotely like what we have to day. The dark steamy hell of the planet and the Alien were created with 1970s techniques and yes, meat parts. The music by Jerry Goldsmith is perfection in building nerve grating tension. The sound affects are the little mentioned costar of this movie. The jarring and ominous computer sounds set the uneasy mood. The subtle organic sounds of the movements of the Alien made it that much more frightening.

Unlike todays incredible CGI video games, Apple II and Atari crude video games like space invader and Asteroids could never have prepared us to what we were about to see in this movie. The original Alien trailer was perhaps one the most effective trailers ever produced.
It gripped TV viewers to the extent that it created anticipation and tension even before going to the theater.

I often wondered how Alien would differ if it were filmed in Black and White. It is primarily filmed in disturbing muted color; essentially Film Noir. I have intentionally viewed it in B&W only and believe me, it adds a whole new dimension.

I can remember when Alien was first reviewed. One reporter interviewed people who had walked out of the movie because they were so disturbed by it. The tension was too unbearable to them.

I wish that new viewers could see Alien the way we in 1979 did... never experiencing anything like it before... and not desensitized and maybe jaded by the following 37 years and 21st century digital wizardry.
The Next Time Alien is on your TV, turn on your sound system and transport yourself to a theater in 1979 surrounded by nervous movie goers already squirming as they view the famous slowly appearing fragmented title sequence. People already started to squeal during the opening scene and sound effects of the ship awakening even before a character was seen or a word of dialog was said.

Try to block out the following 40 years of Hollywood high tech and yes try turning off the color for a different film Noir experience.
February 10, 2018
Ridley Scott delivers a movie that combines horror and sci-fi in such a way making it into a terrific classic film. The movie centers around a group of people answering a distress signal from a planet only to have an alien make it onto the ship and they have to kill it before it kills them. As soon as the Alien makes it on their ship, the film provides a tense ride as the crew is offed one by one. The acting was fine on all parts and the cgi was pretty good for the time. This might get boring for some people but fans of sci-fi and horror will most likely enjoy the film. Director Ridley Scott did a great job setting up a plausible environment. It is pretty realistic and it didn't take the path that most horror movies nowadays take. The lighting and camera effects make the alien look like one of the most terrifying cgi monsters of the decade. This movie took the original alien movie formula that most movies of the 50's and 60's took and spiced it up adding new elements. It takes a simple plot and it turns it into a masterpiece. If you are a fan of sci-fi and horror then this movie is for you. It's one of the best horror films ever made.
February 8, 2018
In a time before action movies were allowed to have time to lay down a story, begin to build suspension & let that simmer, this movie delivers. This movie couldn't be done in today's "go, go, go" movie landscape, and that makes me appreciate this and its sequel even more. (Aliens)
February 1, 2018
Great Movie. The Directors cut is a bit to legnthy though.
January 29, 2018
I love this movie. I saw it in 1982 when I was 11 (don't tell my Mom). I checked my closet every night for the next 7 years before getting into bed... The atmosphere and lighting was ground breaking. The later Alien movies are okay but can't match this.
½ January 23, 2018
The second best Aliens movie made! Does get a bit boring at times but in general a good movie !
January 22, 2018
This is IT. THE sci-fi. Even almost 40 years after it's release I still find this masterpiece modern. I am not talking about the fat computers with the crappy screens and all that part, I am talking about the atmosphere, the lights, the cinematography, the tension!!! Today this movie is still perfect. So thank you H. R. Giger and thank you Ridley Scott to have created my favorite creature: Xenomorph XX121! It's a classic and the story is still going on! All these years later you can wonder what came first, The Alien Queen or the Egg? Hopefully Scott will soon close this circle of life, but let's remember that everything starts here!
January 21, 2018
In this thrilling movie, Ridley Scott effectively taps into our fears and keeps us on the edges of our seats every minute. The great score and camerawork only add to the electrifying horror of this classic.
½ January 21, 2018
Good when the action starst but the beginning especially is soooo slow.
½ January 18, 2018
The suspense generated in every single frame of this film is electrifying. The smart idea to keep the xenomorph hidden from the audience is a very smart decision and only ramps up the fear even more. The ultimate claustrophobic thriller.

A
January 15, 2018
My favourite movie. Giger's involvement puts this movie over the top
January 14, 2018
Superb production quality. Gripping story. Very credible effects. A classic.
January 11, 2018
A start to one of, if not, the best Sci-Fi movie series ever conceveid. It's here that the horrid Xenomorph first apears. The movie is full of eerie moments with twists and turns that are unnexpected, putting the viewer on it's toes, awaiting for the moment when the Alien will appear. A trully wonderfull experience, and a must see for any Sci-fi/Thriller lover!
January 11, 2018
Certainly one of the best movies ever made
½ January 1, 2018
Atmosphere and sense of claustrophobic enviroment made "Alien" one of best sc-fi horror films ever made and one of the most haunting movies I ever seen. Kudos to Ridley Scott for great directing and Sigourney Weaver for portraying one of the most memorable lead characters in film history
Rating: 8.9 out of 10.