Almost Famous Reviews

• 2d ago

Almost Famous certainly isn't perfectly flawless, but it's the closest to it I've seen in a damn long while.

• Jan 01, 2020

I was going to give this movie 3 stars or more but I went with 2 1/2 stars. This is a good movie i have seen it so many times a go to movie. Based in the 70's with a great soundtrack a boy who is a music writer that falls in love with a band groupie. I'd watch this movie again interesting movie.

• Dec 29, 2019

Amazing coming of age film with a strong cast.

Amazing coming of age film with a strong cast.

• Dec 29, 2019

Cool movie A good look inside the time that big bands were on the rise.

Cool movie A good look inside the time that big bands were on the rise.

• Dec 25, 2019

Where did Cameron Crowe's career go? He produced several classic films in the late 1980s and 1990s but with the release of middling We Bought a Zoo (2011) and the awful Elizabethtown (2005) he appears to be on a downward trajectory. It is nice to remember what made him such an acclaimed filmmaker as he does represent the coming of age of sensitive young men with sweetness and specificity and captures the look and feel of the 1970s expertly. The film is funny without betraying the pains that the characters in the film experience and the struggle of becoming a man in an era that allowed for such great freedom. Teenage prodigy William Miller, Patrick Fugit, grows up in the 1970s as a music lover restricted by his conservative mother Elaine, Frances McDormand, and suburban life. He escapes from this world by writing articles for publications that cover music and is eventually hired by Ben Fong-Torres to cover the ascendant band Stillwater while they are on tour. He befriends groupie Penny Lane, Kate Hudson, who is having an affair with the band's lead guitarist Russell Hammond, Billy Crudup. Miller attempts to cover the band objectively but realizes that their actions may be immoral as Hammond treats Lane poorly and tensions erupt within the band over who is acknowledged as the lead singer. He ends up writing a highly critical article about the band which is well received by his employers but refuted by an angered Hammond. He returns home after this event and ruminates on his time with the band and his experiences with Lane who has stopped being a groupie in the face of Hammond's mistreatment. Lane facilitates a reconciliation between Miller and Hammond that allows for the article to be published and for both men to continue pursuing their career ambitions. The character of Penny Lane has become famous as she is allegedly based on notable real life figures such as Bebe Buell but this is probably because the film is able to tap into the deep insecurity and sadness that comes with being used for sex. She angrily protests that she is a "Band Aid" and is there for the music and not simply to sleep with famous men but this is clearly not how Hammond, already in a serious relationship, views her. She tries her hardest to keep up the façade of a breezy, happy girl willing to go along with anything but when she is carelessly gambled away by the man she has come to love she cannot keep it together anymore. We see her through the eyes of a young man who adores her because she is beautiful and seems like such a free spirit but even he begins to notice that she is vulnerable and her relationship with Hammond is toxic. At the end of the film we know that Miller now understands that women are more than just their physical appearances and feel things just as deeply as men even if they appear to have not a care in the world. The film also has a beautiful rhythm to it as it moves slowly and without urgency as Miller absorbs the environment around him and the romantic side of the music world during this time period is explored. We will stop briefly for the band and all of their entourage to sing Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" together or for Lane to perform an impromptu dance. There would not be room for these moments in a different film but Crowe gets the relaxed attitude that most of this strange crew of people would have had during this tour and the culture that allowed for some of the worst actions that the band took. Crowe is willing to spend time with these characters when they are not at the high points of drama and are simply going through the motions of everyday life and that is what makes him so special as a writer-director. You also feel as though Crowe really does identify with his main character, this is a semi-autobiographical film, so even when he makes mistakes or miscalculates situations he is sympathetic and this means that the film is more lovable than some of the more cynical deconstructions of rock bands from this era.

• Dec 18, 2019

Blobbo sucker for happy ending.

Blobbo sucker for happy ending.

• Dec 01, 2019

Lester Bangs says, "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." That's what Cameron does great here, all these moments when we thought we were cool but really we weren't. The illusions of fame and money and respect from strangers, "The 99% of what passes as rock'n'roll these days; silence is more compelling." But I guess I'm not here to write a sanctimony on the genius Cameron, I just wanna let you know, who ever is reading this, Almost Famous makes me wish I grew up in a decade like the 1970's.

• Nov 19, 2019

Amazing. Filled with so much heart.

Amazing. Filled with so much heart.

• Nov 14, 2019

Simply the best movie ever made when it comes to music, specially rock. You will fall in love with Penny Lane, who wouldnt?

• Nov 04, 2019

This is just one of my favorite movies of all time. Its a story I wish I lived and creates a sense of nostalgia that's amazing