An American Haunting Reviews

• Dec 14, 2020

Based on the true story of the Bell family, who in the early 1800's, after a land dispute goes their way, a curse is put on them where the spirit invades and terrorizes their daughter. Donald Sutherland and Sissy Spacek star. Decent enough story with the true story aspect making it somewhat more interesting, although still nothing overly memorable about it.

• Nov 12, 2020

How these are based on real events, blows my mind. Lol. This was good, but not brilliant. There were a couple of moments that scared me, which I hadn't expected

• Oct 29, 2020

The costume design is probably the most engaging aspect of 'An American Haunting', though still inaccurate. It reaches for 'Drag me to hello but barely covers 'Sleepy Hollow'. Would if you wanted to waist time.

• Oct 06, 2020

For a film supposedly based on a true story, it felt way too silly and took too many liberties with this story. Although the film has a mostly strong first half, the 2nd half falls way flat.

• Jul 12, 2020

Its just a bad movie. It's super cheesy. Like so cheesy I'm sitting here laughing at it

• Jun 26, 2020

dark and freaky supposed true story, that I think had plenty of scares.

dark and freaky supposed true story, that I think had plenty of scares.

• Aug 10, 2019

Throw out some jumpy pans of hopping windows and terrified faces, bone piercing bursts of maniacal musicians banging on violins and keyboards, and sparse bouts (I said "sparse") of bad acting, and An American Haunting is actually a decent film. It has the potential to build suspense and plenty of jumps to leave viewers shouting. However, the film's powerful and creepy moments are difficult to appreciate (or even catch). Mainly, I found myself banging on my coffee table while I watched the film-- shouting things like "Stop playing music!!" and "Why can't I just appreciate the scene I'm watching?!" The actors and actresses of An American Haunting worked very hard to play their parts. They poured their hearts and souls into their work. The film has that going for it. The creator of the music score went out of his/her way to destroy everyone's hard work with bursts of horrifying music-- where silence would easily draw a viewer deeper into a scene and leave their jaw swinging. The music score of An American Haunting is its worst attribute. By simply removing the music score from the entire film (and not even replacing it), the film could stand on its own-- most of the time. The next thing viewers would notice (without musical freakouts threatening to pop their eardrums every 10-15 seconds) would be wobbly camera shots panning around bedrooms, up and down stairs, across walls of rattling windows, and telescoping directly into actors' and actresses' faces. These moments would stand out like a sore thumb without horrifying music to suggest a viewer should feel "terrified" because "bad stuff is happening, now." Those moments would stand out without the ridiculous music score because they would seem so hilarious, no one in their right mind could stand watching the film without rolling out the front door of their living room, howling with laughter. The acting in the film is first rate-- at times. Tiny tweaks in a few spots are needed. There are noticeable moments where scenes could've been re-shot and acting improved. There are no long winded bad performances. But, there are tiny pieces of bad performances that could've easily been repaired by discussing a problem with an actor/actress and quickly reshooting the scene. Because of its problems (and the severity of them), An American Haunting is a semi-decent film that was reduced to a sketchy, unscary head scratcher. It left me feeling frustrated and disappointed, and I was unable to finish watching it (although, I have seen the ending before). I paid $3.99 to rent the film. And, this is one time when I really wish I had saved my money. The film is that bad.

• Mar 11, 2018

A really boring, non scary waste watching this mov.

A really boring, non scary waste watching this mov.

• Jan 12, 2018

Boring and slow with a less than surprising finish.

Boring and slow with a less than surprising finish.

• Dec 06, 2016

It was not very scary. There some parts that were ok.

It was not very scary. There some parts that were ok.