Amos & Andrew - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

bbcfloridabound
½ October 12, 2011
Nothing but reverse racism. But thats ok in America Right? Half a star
July 15, 2007
Acceptable slight waste of time starring Samuel Jackson and Nicolas Cage in far from their greatest roles.
April 3, 2012
Remember when Nicholas Cage actually looked like he was having fun shooting a movie? Amos & Andrew is Cage at a young age still enjoying his craft (that isn't to say he is a poor actor or that his current movies are bad rather he has lost that joy that permeates through him from his younger days). The movie is a bit thin and never comes close to using its full comedic potential but still makes for a good time waster. Jackson is a bit miscast, or perhaps he just wasn't allowed to play his character the way he could and should have.
½ May 16, 2013
In order for a comedy to be offensive in an attempt at making a social commentary and be successful in that attempt, it has to be pretty clever. "Amos and Andrew" tries and fails miserably as it's just plain offensive.

The opening moments that set up the premise leaves a bad taste in your mouth right from the start, and although there are a few moments when the film almost recovers from that, it never quite happens. In order to pull this idea off, the screenplay would have to be a lot smarter than this. I understood the points it was trying to make, but writer/director E. Max Frye's film is too conventional to achieve such lofty goals.

The problem there is that even as a simple comedy it fails primarily because it's just not funny. Frye throws in a lot of extraneous characters and subplots in a vain attempt to give the picture the feel of a madcap comedy, but it only clutters things up. The nosy white neighbors, crazy reporters, bloodhound hunters and black protesters don't really add anything to the proceedings. If anything, they take away from what could have been a thought provoking central idea in the right hands.

The only thing that does work is a funny supporting performance by Bob Balaban as a hostage negotiator blathering on about his own childhood oblivious to what's going on around him. And speaking of performances here, Samuel L. Jackson sometimes seems to forget what movie he's in. He delivers a fine speech about his dead father that would have been great in a better movie, but fits in nowhere during "Amos and Andrew". It shoots for the stars and comes up embarrassingly short.
January 3, 2012
I finally gave this a peep courtesy of a Big Lots run, and I was fairly amused with it. Mistaken identity and casual racism and profiling leads to a comedy of errors that gets further and further out of hand.

Plus I always like a random appearance of Bob Balaban or Brad Dourif.

Worth a rental.
½ July 9, 2011
It's fun seeing Cage and Jackson together in a movie together, but with that combo you'll expect this to be a bit more outrageous and entertaining than this film was. It's a light movie and it means well, but with most of the humor being silly and even dull at times: groundbreaking this movie's not. With all honesty, the best part of the movie was it's end credits, Sir Mix A Lot has made a great song specifically for this movie called "Suburbian Nightmare" and if you listen to it, it'll tell you everything that happens in the movie LOL no joke, you should Youtube it ;)
½ June 28, 2011
While not a classic in any sense, this film raises some interesting points about race and is an amusing diversion if you're looking for one.
May 11, 2011
Very funny movie, very good role. Also shows how media can be played off and made to look like what you want it too.
March 11, 2011
By far nicholas cages' best movie, gold tooth and all. It joked about a successful black man moving into a white neighborhood and being mistaken as a burgular. Very funny.
½ July 9, 2010
Sam Jackson is the only actor who can do pretentious, angry black man without making me hate him for it...and nobody does dumb, lovable loser quite like Nicholas Cage...

These two make a great duet in one of those comic gems everyone had forgotten about two weeks after it came out...shame on you world...go rent this movie now!!!
½ December 27, 2008
Ah, good old Racist humor! Samuel L. Jackson is a successful, wealthy black man who has just moved into an all-white suburb. As luck would have it, the neighbors instantly become suspicious and call the police. When the police find out that Jackson's true identity, they want to cover up the racial mess by planting a criminal (Nicolas Cage) inside the house for a fake hostage negotiation, which results in even more comedy of error type situations. I remember watching this film many times over when I was young and thinking it was extremely funny. Catching it today made me realize that it is still funny, but very outdated. This film would struggle if it was made today thanks in part to everyone growing vaginas, getting sand in them, and becoming overly sensitive to this kind of subject matter. Racism is not a funny thing by any means, but sometimes, you don't look for a movie for enlightenment, sometimes you just want it to take the bad things out there and make them silly looking. There's also a couple of great roles in this film from Dabney Coleman (the funny old man of the 90's, I use to call him), Michael Lerner, and one of my favorites, Brad Dourif.
December 24, 2007
Really funny and interesting. It just scratches the surface though. Makes you wonder what would of happened if Spike Lee got his hands on this script. Probably a better film.
½ July 19, 2007
I havent seen this film in many years, I liked it back then although what i can remember is quite cheesy.
April 7, 2006
[size=2]I'm beginning the rather lengthy task of entering into the database every film I have seen, at least those I have a decent memory of. Some may have the briefest of reviews while many will just have a number. Those films that I consider personal favorites and/or those that have some historical signficance I will add later when I have time for more lengthy reviews. [/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2][b]The Astronaut's Wife[/b], directed by Rand Ravich, is a disappointing Sci-Fi thriller starring Johnny Depp and Charlize Theron. Eeven fans of thse sctors should avoid this film. [/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2][b]Ace Ventura: Pet Detective[/b], directed by Tom Shadyac is a rather stupid slapstick comedy starring Jim Carrey. Fortunately Carrey would fare better in later films which better ultilize his talents. [/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2][b]Alive[/b], directed by Frank Marshall, is based on the true story of a Urugyuan rugby team whose plane crashes into the Andes. The survivors must resort to cannibalism. It's a fascinating real life story that deserved a better film than this. The biggest problem is character development, most of the survivors are hard to distinguish from one another. Interesting enough to recommend, but this should have been a much better film. [/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2][b]Amos & Andrew[/b], directed by E. Max Frye, is a woeful attempt at satiring race relations. Neither funny or enlightening. The film stars Nicholas Cage and Samuel L. Jackson. [/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2][b]Arachnophobia[/b], directed by Frank Marshall, is a fairly enertaining film about a spider invasion. Stars Jeff Daniels, John Goodman and Julian Sands.
[/size]
½ April 2, 2006
This film just doesn't know what it wants to be. A poor mix of comedy, drama, social commentary, satire and with a touch of action. The cast does a decent job. Poorly written, aimless direction.
April 7, 2005
:fresh: :fresh: :fresh: :fresh: :fresh: [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]A much deeper film than it was given credit for being. Liberals will no doubt be offended by the mirrior images of themselves that they see in this film. Most of the time liberals are the real racists. It makes fun of racisim in general, more than any spacific group of people. The PC pushers will hate it.[/size][/font]
½ August 1, 2015
Quand le futur scénariste de Foxcatcher réalise une comédie satirique avec Nicolas Cage et Samuel L. Jackson dans les années 90, on peut s'attendre à quelque chose de moins paresseux que cet Amos & Andrew, qui tourne en dérision les petites villes arriérées des Etats-Unis et leur supposé racisme latent. Parfois drôle, le film tourne trop vite en rond et fait patienter son spectateur près d'une demi-heure pour faire se rencontrer les deux grands acteurs. Il en reste que certains seconds rôles sont plutôt bons, comme Brad Dourif ou Michael Lerner et que Nicolas Cage fait n'importe quoi avec grand talent comme d'habitude.
December 1, 2012
SUMMARY:A talented African-American moves into a summer home on an New England island that's of all uptight whites. So when a couple walk by a house and see a black man in the house and think he's trying to rob it they call the police. Realizing they made a mistake and not wanting to admit to it they have a prisoner come and try to undo it but it gets to be going all wrong and in hilarious results. REVIEW:This movie is hilariously funny. Nicholas Cage and Samuel L. Jackson definitely bring spectacular humor to the movie and seem to give it all they have. This movie it seems got alot of bad reviews but take it from a true movie buff this is a blast and gives all levels of entertainment. I like it and think it has all the successful ingredients to be a great comedy.
November 17, 2012
Nicolas Cage And Samuel L. Jackson Are Two Of My Favorite Film Actors.