Amos & Andrew - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amos & Andrew Reviews

½ May 5, 2016
Cops mistake black man for a burglar and send in a loser criminal to help cover it up. Silly and racist.
½ August 1, 2015
Quand le futur scénariste de Foxcatcher réalise une comédie satirique avec Nicolas Cage et Samuel L. Jackson dans les années 90, on peut s'attendre à quelque chose de moins paresseux que cet Amos & Andrew, qui tourne en dérision les petites villes arriérées des Etats-Unis et leur supposé racisme latent. Parfois drôle, le film tourne trop vite en rond et fait patienter son spectateur près d'une demi-heure pour faire se rencontrer les deux grands acteurs. Il en reste que certains seconds rôles sont plutôt bons, comme Brad Dourif ou Michael Lerner et que Nicolas Cage fait n'importe quoi avec grand talent comme d'habitude.
June 16, 2015
SUMMARY:A talented African-American moves into a summer home on an New England island that's of all uptight whites. So when a couple walk by a house and see a black man in the house and think he's trying to rob it they call the police. Realizing they made a mistake and not wanting to admit to it they have a prisoner come and try to undo it but it gets to be going all wrong and in hilarious results. REVIEW:This movie is hilariously funny. Nicholas Cage and Samuel L. Jackson definitely bring spectacular humor to the movie and seem to give it all they have. This movie it seems got alot of bad reviews but take it from a true movie buff this is a blast and gives all levels of entertainment. I like it and think it has all the successful ingredients to be a great comedy.
June 7, 2015
Nicolas Cage And Samuel L. Jackson Are Two Of My Favorite Film Actors.
February 19, 2015
Black man becomes a media sensation after mistaken for a burglar. It's a black comedy done right.
January 28, 2015
The trailer music is way too whimsical, it doesn't even show the race part of it. A PG-13 (PG in Canada) comedy about a police officer shooting at an unarmed black man couldn't be greenlit these days. As a tribute to "Amos and Andy" it is shockingly racist, they even managed to reference blackface. Sir Mix-A-Lot does a very specific recap rap for the entire end credits.
½ June 29, 2014
Only a waste of time.
December 6, 2013
Dumb cops and the odd well-timed gag make for moments of joy in E. Max Frye's black-white buddy picture. But, for the most part, Amos & Andrew is arguably one of the most charmless movies ever to emerge from the genre. The script wallows in its own uncertainty of pace, small-town racism and Stockholm syndrome are brushed off as quickly as they're touched upon and, in all, the film fails to deliver as either drama or comedy. However, for all its flaws and excruciating blandness, Amos & Andrew remains worth watching purely to see Jackson and Cage share the big screen. Well, the best bits deserve a YouTube search, at least.
September 28, 2013
Definitely worth a watch. A moral tale about when casual racism goes wrong. :P
June 5, 2013
Remember when Nicholas Cage actually looked like he was having fun shooting a movie? Amos & Andrew is Cage at a young age still enjoying his craft (that isn't to say he is a poor actor or that his current movies are bad rather he has lost that joy that permeates through him from his younger days). The movie is a bit thin and never comes close to using its full comedic potential but still makes for a good time waster. Jackson is a bit miscast, or perhaps he just wasn't allowed to play his character the way he could and should have.
½ May 24, 2013
There's bound to be tons of films just like this one and they don't stand out because they don't deserve to, some of them seem to go against the very fabric of good film making. This is better than that though and that's because of two things- Nicolas Cage and Samuel L. Jackson, two very vibrant and unique acting talents coming together to make a very typical film a respectable piece of work.
It's a comedy and I laughed plenty of times, judging by the reviews, most people didn't and fair enough, it doesn't take much to make me laugh. All I ask is that you are genuinely trying. I find most modern comedies deeply unfunny and grounded in an artificial comedy that wants to create the illusion of comedy as opposed to any real comedy. Films like this though have a charm to them that make them feel genuine- a genuine Holywood cash-cow of course, but "real" in that sense nonetheless.

It's not exactly PC here, Samuel L. Jackson rarely appears in something that doesn't somehow feel like he isn't doing his race any favours when it comes to the comedy content- Much of this story comes from a community assuming Jackson's character is a burglar because he is black and he is inside a house. It's really that ridiculous but it's a mockery in this case- call it reverse-racism as one reviewer does but I don't see that at all personally, it mocks the attitudes of the white community in the film but I don't see any evidence that suggests that the, quite mad, community is supposed to represent the wider white one. It's no different than any other slapstick comedy setting- there's an air of ignorance specifically so it can be mocked. In this case the ignorance is based around racial attitudes and I don't see an issue with this. The black characters portrayed tend to be overly-suspicious and seem fearful of a constant threat- there's ignorance from all angles here and it's all intentional- it's a comedy with stupid humour and a stupid tone.

Call me stupid (and many do) but I like that humour and I liked that tone. I liked this film.
½ May 16, 2013
In order for a comedy to be offensive in an attempt at making a social commentary and be successful in that attempt, it has to be pretty clever. "Amos and Andrew" tries and fails miserably as it's just plain offensive.

The opening moments that set up the premise leaves a bad taste in your mouth right from the start, and although there are a few moments when the film almost recovers from that, it never quite happens. In order to pull this idea off, the screenplay would have to be a lot smarter than this. I understood the points it was trying to make, but writer/director E. Max Frye's film is too conventional to achieve such lofty goals.

The problem there is that even as a simple comedy it fails primarily because it's just not funny. Frye throws in a lot of extraneous characters and subplots in a vain attempt to give the picture the feel of a madcap comedy, but it only clutters things up. The nosy white neighbors, crazy reporters, bloodhound hunters and black protesters don't really add anything to the proceedings. If anything, they take away from what could have been a thought provoking central idea in the right hands.

The only thing that does work is a funny supporting performance by Bob Balaban as a hostage negotiator blathering on about his own childhood oblivious to what's going on around him. And speaking of performances here, Samuel L. Jackson sometimes seems to forget what movie he's in. He delivers a fine speech about his dead father that would have been great in a better movie, but fits in nowhere during "Amos and Andrew". It shoots for the stars and comes up embarrassingly short.
April 16, 2013
Though the acting ranges from good to great, the script is all over the place, the pacing is unbearably slow, the editing is terrible and the film features some incredibly offensive racial stereotypes.
½ March 31, 2013
I thought this was a cute little film. A simple story told with care. I do feel that the smaller scope of the film was not in it's favor. Seeing that the story was just going to happen and that nothing ever built to it. I thought it'd be a serious of bad events. Even so, as it is, the beginning is slow but it begins to build moment when Amos comes onto the scene. As the story progresses though, the characters work well with each other, the main characters especially- which was kinda the point. The humor was good in parts. I did laugh frequently and rather loud at some points. Cage came out of character at one point. When he talks about the sea monkeys, it actually seems like it's Nicolas Cage being genuine about it, like, it happened to him in the past. It's not a film breaker but I noticed it. In other parts he plays Amos rather convincingly and plays him very well.

There is just something I really like about it. I like how the story unfolded and something that annoyed me finally got addressed between the characters and I like how Amos and Andy got a relationship going while also conveying a pretty important message about racism across without hurting either side. It's the second film about racism with Jackson and I still think it's an issue because it is. I'm not racist. We should leave each other alone if we have nothing nice to say.
½ March 30, 2013
Ultra lame attempt at social commentary comedy.
December 7, 2012
Worth watching want to see!
May 24, 2012
A half decent comedy with plenty of nonsensical filler lumped worse than any other Cage or Jackson film.
May 13, 2012
If nothing else, at least the movie offers laughs without being offensive.
½ April 6, 2012
This satire on racism may not be very funny, but is still an entertaining venture with great performances from Nicolas Cage, Samuel L. Jackson and Dabney Coleman.
½ March 1, 2012
Amos & Andrew
Starring Nicholas Cage & Samuel L. Jackson

Although it maybe whacky movie but let's get on a bumpy ride that this film offers to us. Samuel L. Jackson was given less dialogues in the film, it was all the work of Cage, who was picking up the film with his one of funny characters since Coen Brothers' Raising Arizona. There were many humor-filled scenes, and in terms of looking at this film as comedy, I guess it won't disappoint you, as much as critics on main-page of the film do.