The Andromeda Strain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Andromeda Strain Reviews

½ July 20, 2016
I have read every single novel that Michael Crichton wrote, he definitely wrote stories in a style that I enjoy. However I have not watched every movie that was based on one of his novels, because I count a grand total of 1 that was any good. I was still intrigued to see The Andromeda Strain because I'm always anxious to see if someone else got it right. Sadly, this movie falls in the long line of failures based on Crichton's work. The story is about a town where everyone dies horribly after a satellite crash-lands nearby. Then a team of experts is called in to analyze the situation and see if there is some type of alien virus that has killed people. I love these kind of films ordinarily, because it's enjoyable for me to watch scientists piece together clues and try to solve a problem. Sadly, it seems that the filmmakers were more fascinated with the early chapters of Crichton's book where he has a lot of the theoretical technical jargon (a staple of Crichton's work.) We are forced to sit through the long, drawn out process that is used to sanitize the scientists. Then there are large chunks where we just see the scientists studying without making any progress or saying much of anything important. In fact, there is so much time wasted on the more mundane aspects that they have to rush through the climax, and this makes it kind of lame. I like some of the science geek stuff, and those exciting moments when they finally figure out an important piece of the puzzle. But, in general, the movie was kind of dull. Even the acting performances were mostly flat and uninteresting. I have a slight bias towards sci-fi movies that focus in more on the science (like this one) but because of the way they structured The Andromeda Strain it's definitely not one I can recommend.
½ July 17, 2016
Not as good as the book
July 7, 2016
Next to Sidney Lumet's NETWORK, Robert Wise's THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN is the second greatest feature film ever made.
½ June 21, 2016
89%
Wateched this on 21/6/16
One of the most overlooked sci-fi films of all time and it is such a joy and astonishment at equal parts to think that a film of such intelligence was made in the 70s. This is truly remarkable, because this big budget film is academic, genuine sci-fi that fans of the genre would so much love to watch. Moreover, the film has stood the test of time and it is frequently engaging to keep up the tension throughout.
June 3, 2016
An oscillating sci-fi set firmly in the realms of reality, The Andromeda Strain is a meandering must-see for genre aficionados.
Michael Critchon's novel is brought to the screen with an air of stifling paranoia set against colour-coordinated costumes and backgrounds. The film's set design is stunning and endlessly influential, but it's director Robert Wise's subdued storytelling and serene, slow-burning clarity which turn Critchon's chaotic mystery into a beguiling clinical fantasy.
Think old-school sci-fi paired up with a nonsense-extraction machine.
May 15, 2016
Basically, it's a two-hour long fictional scientific experiment.
½ February 26, 2016
An epic of terrible editing.
½ February 4, 2016
The first alien invasion could be of a virus. Could be. That's writer Michael Crichton's conjectural basis for this interesting foray into sci-fi. Luckily we here in the good ol' U.S. of A. probably have a super secret underground facility somewhere out in the desert ready to tackle just such a eventuality. Not only is it super secret, it's underground. And in the desert. It's probably run by a super secret computer, too. One that talks. And they can do just about anything there. Betcha. It's this kid-in-the-backyard-gee-whiz kind of wonder that starts this baby up, but too much of a good thing cuts into plot development, don't it ... maybe they can remake it.
November 22, 2015
2015-11-22 very geeky for its time
November 1, 2015
Älykäs mutta hidastempoinen kerronta.
½ October 27, 2015
loved every second of it.
October 24, 2015
A research satellite carrying an alien virus crashes into a small Arizona town, the bug killing all of the inhabitants except a baby and an old wino. Top scientists from across the country are rounded up in order to identify and control the potentially plague-like germ. An intriguing,

suspenseful story is somewhat hampered by a dull cast. The last sequence will have you on the edge of your seat. Nominated for two Academy Awards: Best Art Direction and Best Film Editing.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
The Andromeda Strain is both interesting and boring. It is interesting for lovers of scifi and technology to not only see how the organism is dealt with in the story, but also to see, outside of the story, how people of that era thought about technology and problem-solving. However, this is a long film and the middle part drags before it picks up in the last half hour to 45 minutes. The Andromeda Strain also suffers from 1950s style overacting, but, overall, the film is bearable. Recommended to patient fans of sci-fi and those interested in history.
½ September 6, 2015
Like your science fiction films with lots of science and somber overtones? Then you'll love The Andromeda Strain, based on Michael Crichton's best selling novel, the film has you believe its based on a real life event, where a small town is decimated by a what appears to be a fatal virus. After the government go on red alert, a crack team of scientists are sent in to gather their findings and hold up in the leaders, super powered facility and discover some frightening facts about the so called virus. Andromeda Strain is very much a film of 2 halves, its beginning is frighteningly baron, somber and unsettling, the small desert town is brilliantly realized, with carcasses strewn across the ground and really gives a sense that something literally stopped everyone suddenly in their tracks. The second half is where the science comes in and the underground facility itself becomes one of the films biggest characters. Shown off with a wonderful use of colour and scale, Wise harks towards a Kubrick tone, visually arresting us with his sets and having the score work really unease you. There is a huge amount of influence in this film, a lot of which can be seen in films years from its release and rightly so, its brooding and lush and terrifying and full of suspense. The problem for some viewers will be its alienating factors, its slow, its moody, it talks, a lot! This is not a film that wants to hold your hand, sure it comes with digestable dialogue but it wants you to follow it, rather than push you in the right direction. It all lends itself extremely well to the piece as a whole, for people who love to really investigate their films, Andromeda Strain allows them to do so. You feel like your discovering, first hand, a new deadly Alien strain, you feel trapped in a underground facility, you feel frightened and thats what the film manages to have as its stronger moments. It is however not without its flaws, it at times can be a tad too alienating, it can sometimes feel like some of the dialogue or subtext is forced, it sometimes wanders off leaving you to rush to catch up. I myself blinked and had to rewind a good 15 minutes to understand what was going on at one point in the film. But is that a bad thing? Its a film that demands your attention, it draws you in with its atmosphere and content and forces you into a claustrophobic 2 plus hours of investigation and science. It is not for everyones taste and thats okay, but for those who do enjoy it, they will relish every moment of its majestic presentation and wonderful story.
½ August 17, 2015
El gran director Robert Wise dirige una adaptación de la novela de Michael Crichton acerca de un letal organismo del espacio exterior que llega a la tierra. Varios científicos son reclutados para hacerle frente a esta gran amenaza. La elección de actores prácticamente desconocidos y poco atractivos le añade realismo a la cinta y los emocionantes momentos de tensión se complementan maravillosamente con el proceso de descubrimiento de las características del organismo y un poco de crítica hacia las intenciones de los gobiernos frente a descubrimientos como el propuesto en la historia. Esto es ciencia ficción de primera clase.
½ July 20, 2015
Okay, I disagreed with Michael Crichton's views on global warming in the last years of his life, he was a skeptic and even published a Techno-thriller State of Fear to back up his theory that global warming was not a major crisis. Still, the man had a fertile imagination and wrote a lot of very interesting Science-Fiction/Techno-thrillers that still hold up fairly well today. His first major novel, The Andromeda Strain was adapted by director Robert Wise into this very enjoyable film. A team of elite scientists are gathered at an isolated high-tech lab to investigate a possible extraterrestrial virus that is brought back to earth via a satellite and has wiped out a small village in New Mexico save two survivors, a baby and an "isolated drunk." Over-reliance on technology, human fallacies, fail-safes that fail are all elements that Crichton would later incorporate into later works like Westworld (he wrote the script and directed the movie) and Jurassic Park (the book he wrote that became a movie franchise).
July 9, 2015
I watched this movie in my seventh grade science class years ago when we were learning about microbiology and epidemiology. I've always loved a good story, and the more realistic the potential threat in the movie, the more disquieting it is. If you can get past the old timey cinematographic style and fully embrace the story, this is definitely a good science fiction flick to watch on a lazy sunday night with a bucket of popcorn. Give it a shot.
July 3, 2015
This is a superb film. It has almost no action but it absolutely enthralling from beginning to end. The tense atmosphere is palpable. It's a shame they don't make films like this anymore. Recommended
½ June 25, 2015
One of the very few hard sci-fi out there, The Andromeda Strain has a meticulously crafted pathogen with all science done right, a believable crew of top yet ordinary scientists and a state-of-the-art biocontainment facility. Yet the fatally flawed design of that supposedly perfect facility during the final act added to the hero-who-saves-the-day conclusion keeps it away from greatness and levels it down to the cult force of the sci-fi fans who like their fiction scientifically possible---even when alien organisms are involved.
June 13, 2015
Ever since I saw this as a kid, it's always been one of my favorite sci-films. I really like the procedural plotting (even though it's very dated now), and the acting and pacing totally works for me.