Annie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Annie Reviews

August 26, 2016
A few of the songs seem a little unnecessary and the movie does run a bit too long. But other than that, "Annie" is a pretty pleasant musical.
August 17, 2016
Fun, heartwarming adaptation of the popular character Annie, an orphan who brings cheers to all of those around her except Miss Hannigan (Carol Burnett in a memorable performance), the orphanage's flirty drunk caretaker. This movie is fun for the entire family.
June 30, 2016
still hands down the best version of this oft told tale
June 20, 2016
To old-fashioned and was not a fan of this movie Annie. Other people may like it. But not me I could sleep when I watch this movie
½ April 23, 2016
Annie is a fun, comical, family friendly musical movie, that was based off the 1977 Broadway production. The Broadway production was based off of the Little Orphan Annie comic strip that was started back in 1924, which unfortunately ended in 2010. It is obvious why many people love Annie. Everyone loved it so much that the comic strip lasted 86 years! It's a loving, inspiring, cheerful movie. It leaves you feeling happy as you sit back and cheer for Annie as she goes through life with an optimistic attitude as she sings "The sun will come out tomorrow so you gotta hang on 'till tomorrow, come what may! Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow, you're only a day away!"
April 23, 2016
This is a brilliant, fun musical made for the entire family! Best to have seen it widescreen in the theatre - it was beautifully framed by the film legend John Huston.
Features game performances by all, especially by comedy queen Carol Burnett and Tim Curry, as the dim-witted villain and his moll, Bernadette Peters.
Only lags with the rah-rah pap of Edward Hermaan as FDR and Hasidic Jew terrorist sub-plot. Chop out those 10-15 min (except for the 'Tomorrow' sequence!) and you have an epic musical!
'It's A Hardknock Life'; 'Little Girls'; 'We Got Annie'; 'Easy Street'; and, 'Tomorrow' among the knockout musical sequences.
Enjoy! (And skip the disaster 'Annie' remake of 2014!)
April 15, 2016
I grew up with this and it will always have a place in my heart. There's a certain raunchiness to this though that seemed out of place.
April 13, 2016
It's everyone's dream to belong somewhere. To know exactly where you fit into the world. Not everyone does and sometimes even knowing where you do fit in, life can be overwhelming.

The theme of this movie is hope. Hope that no matter what you'll find a way out. Hope that no matter what, you'll find that place where you belong. Hope that if you just keep going soon you'll be rewarded. That may sound like a childish view of the world, but come on it's from a child's view of life. And when you think about it, it's only impossible because we as a culture of adults say, "no the world is terrible." Maybe if we all looked at things a little more simple, then the world wouldn't have to be so ruff after all.
April 9, 2016
This is a great 80's children's movie! I saw this when I was 5 when it first came in theatres, now 34 years later, watching it on TMC and I'm still loving it! "Haters gonna hate cuz they never lived a hard-knocks life!" The cast and crew made a memory that will be enjoyed for past and future generations!
March 26, 2016
Proof that film critics should not always be trusted. This is a far better movie and deserves a much better ratings. As a child this movie is bound to be a favourite, as a grown up you remember how much you loved it. It might not be the most innovative musical, or one that follows a typical, orthodox musical story line, but it' an honest, fun to watch movie that hits the nail on the head.
½ December 20, 2015
Súper Good!!! Great Music!!! and acting!! One of the best movies I ever saw
November 15, 2015
A movie I've always loved through and through
October 25, 2015
It's not possible to dislike this film.
½ September 6, 2015
Last watched this when I was a young kid, so it was nice to see it again. Not a big fan of musicals but I enjoyed the story and performances. Hard to believe the great John Huston directed this. Worth a watch for sure, and great for kids!
August 29, 2015
There is a difference between a newspaper comic strip, a comic book series, a novel, a television series and film. There really is no way to jam years and years of great stories into 90 minutes or two hours. A great film can only give a sense of that. A bad film leaves a sour taste for a character. John Huston is certainly an odd choice for directing the musical version of the newspaper strip Annie. John Huston is best associated with John Wayne or Humphrey Bogart and epic, serious films. Not so much musical comedy. All the characters are over the top cartoonish caricatures. Carol Burnett steals the show as the vile Miss Hannigan. Miss Hannigan's only redeeming quality is that she's not that bright. The film should spark an interest in Annie, and maybe drive viewers to follow her four-color adventures. When the strip was cancelled in 2010, only 20 papers still carried her exploits. The strip ended on a cliffhanger, and it took another strip character, Dick Tracy, to rescue her from obscurity. What a shame. Annie may have been the Harry Potter of her time.
August 28, 2015
It's the hard knock life!
½ August 14, 2015
Great songs, dance moves and story. Best if you watch it with your little girls obviously!
June 20, 2015
This is my favorite "Annie" version that has come out in movie form! Sure it can be cheesy but this movie was set to be around the time of the the Great Depression so it's not suppose to be all "lovie dovey!" Everyone cast was totally perfect, from Molly the youngest orphan right up to the star Aileen Quinn!
June 19, 2015
This movie is amazing! Such a classic! The cast is very perfect! Miss Hannigan is bae. The soundtrack is amazing. My favorite songs are Little Girls and It's a Hard Knock Life. I can't wait to see the 2014 version, just a nice little twist. I literally cry every time when Annie is on the bridge and Rooster is chasing her. The villains are great. And i'm jealous of Mr. Warbucks's house hahaha!
June 19, 2015
Great movie with some classic songs. Having just watched it for the first time, I can't tell if having a young daughter biased my view of it.