The Atomic Cafe Reviews

• Oct 07, 2019

Both disturbing and highly entertaining, this documentary successfully depicts the hilarious naive attempts to ease the bomb scare with the gallows humor of the 1980s, which may be no longer conceivable for younger generations.

• Jul 27, 2018

I’m looking forward to the sequel when they expose the Global Warming, sorry Climate Change propaganda machine. Even more absurd & filled with lies.

• Jul 15, 2015

I've watched this film multiple times and it honestly never loses both the humor and the shock value. It's still hard to process that period of time, and this piece manages to capture some of the hysteria and strangeness of that period of American history.

• Feb 15, 2015

A very clever, at times amusing documentary.

A very clever, at times amusing documentary.

• Dec 30, 2013

One of the greatest documentaries about the Cold-war Ever made. Portraying war politics and mass hysteria through the perspective of pop-culture and mixed-media. Pitch-black comedy at its finest.

• Nov 28, 2013

Now here's a found footage film. This documentary is constructed entirely from footage taken from the US government ... footage of nuclear tests and propaganda films designed to convince the public that they could survive nuclear war and that nuclear weapons were necessary to protect against Russian invasion. It's a bit of a cheap shot, but it's not really trying to make a definite, coherent point so much as to bring out the inherent absurdity of the situation. After all, if the government feels the need to tell absurd lies, what does that say about its policies?

• Oct 23, 2013

A more-or-less chronological display of atomic age documentaries. Starting with the Enola Gay crew, to duck-and-cover films for schools, onto anti-communist news clips. No narrative at all. If you want nuclear bomb clips start with Trinity and Beyond its follow-ups. For information on how communism was affecting the fabric of America through the Civil Rights movement and other avenues, I recommend Anarchy USA. So, dont bother with The Atomic Cafe.

• Sep 07, 2013

Saw this movie in a private preview when I was a teenager. Back then there was still a U.S.S.R. A great movie about an early part of the cold war - an almost parallel one could me made today about the war on terrorism or drugs. Wars all important and insane at the same time. I'd like to find a site that listed each documentary included in the movie. It took courage to make and show The Atomic Cafe at the time. I'm happy to have it in my library in vhs and dvd.

• May 26, 2013

Duck and cover! The more things change the more we stay the same.

Duck and cover! The more things change the more we stay the same.

• Mar 30, 2013

As someone who didn't grow up with the threat of nuclear war hanging over my head, I find the clips in this documentary both quaint and disturbing at the same time... It's funny to see all of the government propaganda in the light of 20/20 hindsight, and a little bit concerning given that if they lied once, they'll probably lie again. I will say the clips of the nuclear test are amazing to watch.