Austin Powers in Goldmember - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Austin Powers in Goldmember Reviews

December 8, 2017
Mike Myers playing 4 different characters could get stupid, but thanks to the writing and having the same humor as the first two films it stays as a great third movie in the franchise. It is a great comedy sequel that has one of my favorite endings of all time.
November 25, 2017
Despite some overly annoying early 2000s cliches that don't belong here this is a decent film.
½ October 14, 2017
Not as good as first
October 14, 2017
Funny!!! Def on my top 10 all time favorites list!
½ September 25, 2017
I have a vague recollection of the first two Austin Powers movies being somewhat funny parodies of the James Bond films, but a barrage of terrible reviews from both critics and fans convinced me to avoid the third installment for years. Now I see why. In Goldmember it seems that Mike Myers and Jay Roach have completely given up on even attempting a parody of James Bond, and have instead allowed Austin Powers movies to become a parody of themselves. It's embarrassing how disjointed the "plot" is in Goldmember. At this point it is safe to say that the movie has devolved to nothing more than an incessant stream of fart jokes and offensive stereotypes. This is the kind of humor that made me laugh when I was in middle school, but as a grown-up I just cringe. And I'm not a prude, because I laughed in the previous films, but now it is so constant I can't take it.

They make a desperate attempt to fashion a story around these lame jokes, but it is horribly constructed. Part of the issue is that they have a huge ensemble of familiar characters that they feel the need to keep bringing back, and they also feel compelled to introduce new characters to the point that there's not enough screen-time for anyone. I lost track after less than 20 minutes of what they intended to be the main story of the film. Was it something to do with Goldmember, or was it Dr. Evil's daddy issues, or something about Austin's father, or Mini Me competing with Scott for Evil's attention, or a movie being made about Austin, and what did Beyonce have to do with any of this? It's like the writers sat in a room and brainstormed a bunch of ideas, then just used that list of random ideas as the script instead of actually taking time to make it all into a real movie.

I'm just glad that this was so far removed from anything James Bond related that I don't feel like it reflects on that franchise that I love. The first two kind of had some fun playing with tropes in spy movies of the past, but this one isn't smart enough for that kind of satire. I struggle to think of anything in Goldmember that even remotely resembles Goldfinger, the movie it clearly is aiming at with its title. The other saving grace of Goldmember is that it actually got me to laugh a couple of times. Most of the humor is about as lazy as you could possibly imagine, but every once in awhile they'd surprise me with something that was actually clever and I'd have at least a chuckle. It's a small consolation in this movie that (rightfully) sunk it's franchise. I found Goldmember so distasteful that it made me reluctant to go back and watch the other Austin Powers movies for fear that my original impression of them was wrong and they are actually as bad as this one.
September 5, 2017
Generally very funny though the Fat Bastard character is too gross. The scene with Foxxy in the casino is hilarious.
August 20, 2017
This is the greatest movie I've ever seen
July 18, 2017
Mike Myers did a good enough job wrapping up this character. It's not always a smooth ride but it's really funny if you give it a chance. (please don't make a fourth)
½ July 18, 2017
While this film may be a complete rehash of the previous 2 films, it is still a staple in the Austin Powers trilogy.
May 13, 2017
I love GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD! omg lmao rofl gg lol. Mike Meyers is a beast. (about 7 viewings)
½ May 7, 2017
5/7/2017 (3): Maybe not as good as the first two, but still funny as hell!
March 20, 2017
Il arrive parfois à Goldmember de se perdre dans des gags qui durent un peu trop longtemps et qui ne sont pas très drôles, comme tout le passage de Gras-Double. Cependant, quand Goldmember est drôle, il l'est énormément. Entre sa longue intro quasi-parfaite, son nouveau personnage et quelques setpieces particulièrement réussies (l'entretien avec les mauvais sous-titres, Godzilla, Fook-Mi et Fook-Yu), Goldmember a probablement les meilleurs gags de la saga et son twist final n'est quasiment pas exagéré. Mais le film de Jay Roach est un peu trop inégal pour être au niveau des deux autres. C'est un peu dommage, vu l'abattage exceptionnel d'un Mike Myers qu'on espère revoir à ce niveau un jour.
½ March 20, 2017
A pretty good addition to the Austin Powers franchise.
½ March 14, 2017
"I only watched Austin Powers for the plot"

Oh noo you was just watching it for the jokes.
That is what i did.
March 12, 2017
Let me tell you, I absolutely hated this movie. I also have no interest in James Bond movies, so maybe that's part of it. I was quite pissed at the friend that invited me along for wasting my time and money.
February 4, 2017
This is the point where Austin Powers became a little stale. Despite the occasional 007 gag such as the sumo wrestler sequence (which parodies Bond using crocodiles for stepping stones in Live And Let Die) the humour is purile and most of the jokes revolve around bodily functions. Disappointingly, Dr Evil (who was such a hilarious character in the previous films) is now just a total dick.
The attempts at plot and character twists only makes this one feel more desperate.
January 8, 2017
This is the worst instalment of the Austin Powers trilogy. However, it still delivers some gags. However, the plot is somewhat disjointed and contrived. The acting is tired and the addition of Beyoncé in a supporting role is especially horrible and miscast. Michael Caine's appearance cannot save this film. This franchise had certainly "jumped the shark" at this point.
½ January 8, 2017
This movie was a funny movie. It was good, but not as good as the other two sequels.
January 1, 2017
Overall the weakest of the trilogy, what with the 'Austin and Dr Evil are actually brothers' thing and the 'Dr Evil and Mini Me become gangsta rappers in prison' thing...as well as some other things. Also, the character of Goldmember is creepy and icky enough when played by Mike Myers; he becomes truly the stuff of nightmares when John Travolta takes over at the end.

But the movie does have some redeeming qualities. Firstly, Michael Caine is superb as Austin's spy dad, Nigel - basically Harry Palmer as an old perv. Also, Beyonce (when she was merely a star, rather than the supermegauberstar she is today) is very good as badass blaxploitation chick Foxxy Cleopatra, and her Goldmember medley is pretty damn funny ('He got the Midas touch, and he touched it too much...'). Plus, the movie contains one of my favourite visual gags of all time - 'One of us needs to stand on the other one's shoulders' - AND one of my favourite one-liners of all time - 'There are two kinds of people in this world I can't stand...'

Plus, we FINALLY get to see some frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads. And that's all we ever asked for, right?