Away We Go - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Away We Go Reviews

½ December 4, 2016
Akin to Christmas Carol -- ghosts of relationship possibility. Quiet and honest. Routinely awkward, and endlessly charming. Thoughtful enough throughout to feel fulfilled well before the end. Krasinski is phenomenal (what was originally a point of skepticism going in to watching -- sorry John). And Rudolph, too - she needs more roles like this given her hugely underrated acting chops. These two work excruciatingly well together on screen.

Calling this a romantic comedy would feel diminishing, and yet this is the way "romantic comedy/dramas" should be written.
September 17, 2016
Away We Go, director Sam Mendes' fifth studio release, is far and away his most organic work to date. It's not elegantly staged, not written with an exacting tone or much direction, and its soundtrack is composed of chipper songs by London-born indie folk-pop artist Alexi Murdoch instead of the deeply forceful musical scores customary to Mendes' films (American Beauty and Road to Perdition both featured Oscar-nominated scores by Thomas Newman). Away just wants to be something smaller or different than both any picture by its esteemed filmmaker and what America considers typical romantic-dramedy fare, perhaps even something patrons will call "cute", "funny", or "insightful" and liken to such films as Juno. But it's not Juno -- and that's mostly a good thing (Away We Go doesn't overload its dialogue with self-loving sarcasm and tiring pop-culture one-liners). However, whereas Mendes' latest piece doesn't embody the pretentiousness of Juno, it seems determined to be unimpressive and, in many parts, boring. Co-writers and husband and wife Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida time and again place the movie's city- and home-seeking couple, Verona (Maya Rudolph) and Burt (John Krasinski), in predictably hopeless situations opposite families or individuals who were written to appear either less in love (Lily, a married drunk played by Allison Janney, attempts to kiss Burt to no avail) as the protagonists or lesser altogether (Maggie Gyllenhaal's character and her husband are even called "terrible people") -- and it's not so much offensive as it is contrived and uninspired. And ironically manipulative: Here's a movie about a couple we the audience are to believe is a rare breed, yet nearly everyone else we come to know is abnormally crazy or has significant relationship troubles. But Away We Go has some tender moments, some genuine ones, and one or two sincerely funny ones -- and they all are borne from the chemistry between Krasinksi and Rudolph, and in spite of Eggers' and Vida's screenplay. If I had to recommend Away to anyone, I'd do so solely for the performances of the two leads -- particularly Rudolph, whose dramatic maturity on screen contradicts what most would expect after a nearly decade-long absence from non-comic work (she co-starred in 2000's TV drama City of Angels) -- and the quite cinematography of Oscar-nominated documentary filmmaker Ellen Kuras (last year's The Betrayal). Though I wish I could say more in support of this picture, I can't -- and I won't. Just know that I was rooting for Away We Go. I truly was, but I'm not anymore.
August 23, 2016
It may get repetitive narratively, but the two charming leads carry Away We Go through a sweet ride.
½ May 27, 2016
Absolutely one of my all time favourite laugh out loud comedies. Beautiful, poignant, hilarious.
May 15, 2016
Maya Rudolph was the best part of the movie. She developed her character so well, slowly but surely showing us her flaws & quirks.

This was THE best performance of Maggie Gyleenhaal's career. Usually not a fan, but I was definitely impressed here. Her character was so laidback, then LOST it and it was laugh-out-loud funny.

The cinematography and directing were brilliant. An easily recognizable Sam Mendes film.

Overall, it was a sweet and charming movie about two interesting, likable and NICE people attempting to make a life for themselves. Movies should be more like this one.
½ April 9, 2016
Sympaattinen leffa, josta jäi hyvä mieli. ^_^ (Suom. Kohti uutta)
April 6, 2016
Comme de voir une version "indie" d'un film moyen des frčres Farrelly, mettant en vedette un couple d'adulescents se magasinant une ville d'accueil comme d'autres se magasinent une paire de jeans dans un urban outfitters.
½ March 31, 2016
so under rated - hilarious - good nature flick
March 30, 2016
A nice tale about the fears and hopes faced by two thirty something's as they await the arrival of their first child. Good performances all around. Maggie Gyllenhaal is hilarious as the free spirited college professor. The scene with the stroller and The Stranglers Golden Brown is comedy gold.
½ March 5, 2016
Loved this film. The characters were mesmerizing, the writing playful, creative and wonderfully quirky. Well acted, and oh-so-refreshingly different than the trite, cliched scripts oozing from Hollywood's machine.
February 28, 2016
It was a decent film.
January 28, 2016
"Away We Go"is such a sweet film, it is so heartwarming and laugh out loud funny. As the movie moves from one town to the next we are introduced to a new sets of characters and each one of them hit their mark to perfection, sometimes funny, sometimes sad and other times just outrageous. Even though the cast of characters per city share their own unique weird ways of life, it is not too inconceivable to picture them in ones own life and if you've met enough people you have probably encountered the stereotypes portrayed in this film. That's what makes this film special, it is real and believable, if you are expecting a typical deep dark Sam Mendes film than this might seem as a bit of a departure but I would strongly recommend giving this film a chance. It is the kind of movie in my collection that I really enjoy revisiting from time to time and find myself quoting often.
January 26, 2016
Truly the loveliest movie and I advise you to be wary of anyone who doesn't completely love it.
January 7, 2016
Sicuramente non banale e godibile, alla faccia dell'immobilitā italiota.
October 28, 2015
With terrific performances and a wonderful soundtrack, this sweet, sensitive and funny road movie proves to be both heartwarming and sharp as Mendes' previous works - and the whole scene with Maggie Gyllenhaal in Madison is just priceless.
September 17, 2015
Långsam och annorlunda men ändå en mysig kärlekshistoria
½ August 13, 2015
Funny, heart warming, rainy day kind of movie.
July 9, 2015
An adorable little film!
June 25, 2015
This is a lovely comedy, perfect for a movie night when you have nothing else to watch. It´s sorprising
½ June 9, 2015
Away We Go has some funny moments (namely from Allison Janney and Maggie Gyllenhaal) and John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph's chemistry is sublime. It's pleasant overall, but it just feels like it's trying so hard to be one of those quirky little indies. The score, the Alexi Murdoch soundtrack, and some of the editing show that. I just wished Sam Mendes tried less hard on trying to make it such an indie and more on the story itself.