Azumi Reviews

• Mar 17, 2018

Impressive (and violent) battle scenes are the highlight of this longish Japanese samurai tale.

• May 11, 2015

Pretty much horrible all around, including the horribly choreographed violence, but the story kept me interested enough to watch the whole thing...only to be disappointed by the ending.

• Mar 11, 2014

"AZUMI, THE FEMALE ASSASSIN VOLUME 1" - 'Azumi' is a 2003 Japanese action film based on the popular manga-series with the same name and directed by Ryuhei Kitamura (Versus, The Midnight Meat Train). The intriguing plot about a female assassin is filled with highly violent action sequences between amazing cartoonish characters. To me it has a real Kill Bill feeling to it. I absolutely enjoyed this over-the-top movie and its sequel. With Aya Ueto as the heroine Azumi. 128 minutes of bloody entertainment! Orphan girl Azumi (Ueto) is raised along with nine boys by Jiji, a old master samurai. They are trained to become assassins. One day the ten students are put to the ultimate test: after being paired up, they need to kill their best friend. Azumi kills her love-intrest Nachi. Only the five survivors can join Jiji on his quest to kill three warlords: Nagamasa Asano, Kiyomasa Kato and Masayuki Sanada. The first target, Nagamasa Asano, is easily found and killed. But on hearing that Asano was assassinated, the next target, Kiyomasa Kato takes measures to keep himself safe. Azumi and her 5 male companions will have to deal with three roguish brothers, the narcissist killer Bijamouru Mogami, the monkey-like soldier Saru and an army of mercenary thugs before getting to warlord Kato and his general Kabei. Outnumbered their mission seems impossible. Will they succeed?

• Jun 02, 2013

At once visually shocking and thrilling. Azumi engages us on the same amoral level that Dexter does. While you may cringe at the copious amounts of blood, you will cheer Azumi on until it satisfying end.

• May 16, 2013

Rawr! Right in my childhood! I never get tired watching this a bazillion times when I was little because I love Azumi and she is just so very cool!

• Dec 05, 2012

Kitamura has brought back the swordfighting epic almost all by himself. Might disappoint people who were expecting another Versus, but I dug it.

• Nov 17, 2012

A film that is entirely devoted to martial arts action fans and comic book readers alike. This quite obviously far-fetched and unrealistic portrayal of Asian assassins is a deliberate imagination ride that takes the audience into an area of fantasy that was intended to be seen as so. Watch this movie if you are a fan of on-screen violence and over-the-top sword-fighting action scenes.

• Oct 21, 2012

good assasin movie...

good assasin movie...

• Sep 19, 2012

all the blood may look silly, but it makes it more entertaining to watch.

all the blood may look silly, but it makes it more entertaining to watch.

• Sep 15, 2012

the fighting scene could be much better if the blood effect increased.. overall, its a great movie with a lot of superstar playing in this film..