Baby It's You Reviews

• Nov 14, 2018

One of John Sayles early films is a little treasure about nostalgic first love. But, the film becomes a much darker and much deeper film than that as it goes along. Rosanna Arquette is sweet and Vincent Spano make an incredible impact as "Sheik".

• Apr 26, 2018

Baby It’s You is a run-of-the-mill teen love story. It focuses on a girl who falls for a guy from the other side of the tracks. Although in this movie it’s a bit odd because he dresses better than anyone in her school, so it never feels like he’s that different from her. They rely heavily on the perceived class distinction between the two, but I never sensed it. Anyways, they have their issues and break up before graduation, but then find themselves reuniting a while later. It’s familiar territory and you won’t be shocked by anything that happens in this movie. I’ll credit John Sayles for his directing, because he made some interesting choices and there were a select few shots that looked great. The big failing of Baby It’s You is the complete lack of chemistry between the two stars. Rosanna Arquette and Vincent Spano look like they despise one another most of the time, and I’m never convinced there is this underlying passion. I don’t think either of them played their parts terrible, they just don’t belong together as a couple on screen. The story was lackluster as well, so I found myself relatively bored by this film. Even though there are a small handful of good elements, overall it’s a failure.

• Apr 26, 2017

So relatable great acting. A must for lovers!

So relatable great acting. A must for lovers!

• Mar 28, 2011

Haunted me as a child ... but not in a bad way.

Haunted me as a child ... but not in a bad way.

• Dec 28, 2010

This movie is more than just your standard formula 80's teen movie. It really is a social commentary film about class and opportunity in America. The young-hot-shot guy who is filled with the confidence of youth, but comes from a poor family and neighborhood (with no real support network) goes for the pretty jewish girl, who's father is a successful Doctor, and who has a family that supports her emotionally and financially. This movie is more honest in my opinion about the two different worlds that these two come from and how that in the end, ultimately reveals how they ultimately never had a chance to begin with. Nuff said, check this one out.

• Sep 04, 2010

A cool romance..takes you back...with good soundtracks throughout the movie

A cool romance..takes you back...with good soundtracks throughout the movie

• Dec 05, 2009

A pretty painful watch, but so good. Sayles and Arquette at their best.

A pretty painful watch, but so good. Sayles and Arquette at their best.

• Sep 05, 2009

So, I'm on kind of a weird "stalker" quest...to watch all of Robert Downey Jr's movies (not just because he's gorgeous, but I want to see his progression as an actor). Well, I blinked and missed his part...after a very slow fast forward through the movie again, I saw a brief flash of his face on the dance floor in the high school prom scene. So, that was a bit of a disappointment! I had expected to hate this movie based mostly on the Netflix rating and the fact that it was from 1983 and I'd never even heard of it. What a surprise! It was really quite good.The plot was intelligent and definitely kept me hooked. Vincent Spano was excellent in the sexy bad boy role and I really like Rosanna Arquette. Definitely worth renting...

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Aug 06, 2009

Written and directed by John Sayles, "Baby It's You" is on the surface a genuinely heartfelt romance. Like a lot of Sayles' other movies(this is his only studio movie to date), it also works on a political level as it relates to perceptions and class. It is 1967 and Jill Rosen(Rosanna Arquette) is a high school senior in Trenton, New Jersey who is interested in becoming an actress and has auditioned for the lead in the school play. Sheik(Vincent Spano), a new student, asks her out for a date which she at first declines but eventually succumbs to his charm.(I thought Sheik was originally a Rudolph Valentino reference and no doubt he is handsome. I was shocked at the real reason for the nickname which is revealed late in the movie.) He is going in the opposite direction as Jill, rarely attending his own classes and occasionally attending hers. Inside of the cocoon of their high school lives and routines, Jill and Sheik come together but things change as they move out into the wider world and encounter different attitudes and people that have an effect on them. "Baby It's You" starts in a world that still resembles the 1950's in many ways set to a Frank Sinatra soundtrack but ends up in the conflicted 1960's, minus any reference to Vietnam. And to its credit, the movie does end on a truly lovely note.

• Jun 19, 2009

I love Rosanna Arquette and this is one of her earliest films. It's a coming of age story about a teenage girl in the 1960s from a white collar family who falls for "the Shiek" a boy from the wrong side of the tracks...same old story but really done nicely in this old film. I enjoy it every time I see it as well as the great retro soundtrack.