Bad News Bears - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad News Bears Reviews

November 27, 2016
best movie I've ever seen
May 21, 2016
I don't think this movie had a reason to be made, but I'm glad it was made. People might disagree with me, but when I think of the character Morris Buttermaker, Billy Bob Thorton's performance stands out more than Matthau's was.
½ December 25, 2015
While the intention is quite admirable, its odd shifts in the pacing and characters in the third act don't mesh well with the rest of the film, in fact, it only slows down the already well-paced film. I can't compare it to the 1976 original since I haven't seen it yet, but for what it is it's damn entertaining. The script pushes the boundaries of the PG-13 rating and it'll surely offend those who can't take profanities. But at heart, it's a story about underdogs and I like movies like that. Thornton is excellent as the foul-mouthed, hard-drinking, and cynical coach Buttermaker, and director Linklater manages to make it funny, playfully subversive, and gently moving all at the same time. Bad News Bears is predictable, but I still liked it. Not a groundbreaking film in any sense, but still a good movie with good intention.
½ October 7, 2015
Billy Bob Thornton and Greg Kinnear were good, that's probably it. Not that different from the original but just shows how that movie can never be made today. This is bad, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting and to me it was watchable. There is nothing in this movie that makes it seem like a Linklater movie, which is good I guess because people don't really count this as one of his films.
September 1, 2015
This doesn't even touch the original...
August 29, 2015
A Richard Linklater movie that doesn't feel like a Linklater movie, Bad News Bears is run-of-the-mill affair that's completely skippable, although a fun Billy Bob Thornton performance helps out.
August 15, 2015
Nobody plays the dirty rat bastard rascal better then Thornton and here he's at the top of his game.Not as good as the original but still has that quirky charm.
½ July 16, 2015
Billy Bob should really only make movies where he's drunk and cussing out children for the rest of his career.
June 20, 2015
Almost as good as the original, very funny
½ June 7, 2015
Billy Bob doesn't come off as a likeable ass like Walter did in the original. He just comes off as an ass.
½ April 4, 2015
Billy Bob Thornton is the best part of this movie. The kids' acting seemed forced/unnatural at times and it was weird. It did have some pretty cool moments/scenes but I was not impressed. It's not a bad movie, just another OK one.
March 8, 2015
Bad Santa coaches a baseball team in this predictable but amusing remake of the hit comedy.
½ January 23, 2015
Walked out of the cinema 5 minutes in.
½ September 21, 2014
It might be second-tier in the Linklater canon, but it's still genuinely funny and crass like the original. Billy Bob Thornton is the real reason to see this, where he brings a kind of "Bad Santa" crudeness to the performance.
September 13, 2014
a remake that's shot and written almost exactly the same as the original classic, except watered down the things that made it charming and cruded up in unnecessary places. I can only hope that Linklater made this film because he knew the original was so good it didn't need a remake and so decided to make such a shitty remake that everyone would still rather see the original anyway.
September 12, 2014
The Pros are Thornton's performance and the last game of the film, while the Cons are the languages and the harsh bullying. (C+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording and requires another viewing)
September 11, 2014
Who didn't love Michael Ritchie's original film? When this was released I was astounded that the same people who adored "The School of Rock" the year before didn't think that Linklater could pull this off. No, it's not as good but it is a hell of a good film.
September 5, 2014
The original was a great kids movie...what is this? It's not adult funny and it's not kid funny. It's just cursing...
½ August 5, 2014
(First and only viewing - Summer 2005 in theaters)
August 3, 2014
This movie made me hate baseball