Bad News Bears Reviews

• Nov 04, 2019

Surprisingly poor performance from otherwise exceptional director Linklater. Thornton was a find choice for coach---reprising his character from Bad Santa---but the casting and directing of the kids, and the script in general, were unimpressive.

• Sep 17, 2019

Brace yourself for the finale, it is a nail biter, so what if it is rigged. Bad News Bears Linklater has done it again. You'd think that a guy dedicating all his life to drama would repeat itself. I mean that's natural. It happens. No one does it intentionally. And neither does he. The director Richard Linklater is iterating his iconic night once again in this sports drama. The get out clause that his signature style brings in, is entertainment. Living the current moment. Enjoying it. As much as you can. And this is how Linklater tackles the cliches of the genre. The endgame doesn't matter anymore. That is not to say that he doesn't work on a compelling narration. But now I think he invests willingly more for the distraction that it offers us. And if faking with such authenticity is convincing you, the filmmaking is of supreme quality then that you can only hope for. And Linklater knows that drive like a navigator. He knows all the turns. The ticks. The quick glances. The personification of an object. Everything that you see or you think you see is because Linklater stops time. And there is a half grin on your face with a hint of arrogance that you know where this is going. Now, this is where, once again, Linklater shows his big heart, generosity, for despite shattering your prediction, he never rubs it out on you. You are not robbed of that opportunity. That joyous moment that you thought you were going to have does come knocking at your door. It is just that it is not in the same face. It is a different face. It is Billy Bob Thornton's. You are just not looking at him the same way. Bad News Bears isn't looking at him the same way. Things are not funny nor intense, the light footed environment isn't just a surprise but a satisfying experience.

• Feb 23, 2019

Of course it isn't as good as the original and nobody can beat Walter Matthau's performance but Billy Bob Thornton does do really well in his performance here. It's clear that Billy Bob Thornton takes his performance from Bad Santa and does it here but tones it down for the PG-13 rating.

• Oct 15, 2018

I know some of us would agree it would not hurt to make a sequel to The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training they made a sequel to the first one why can't they make a sequel to the other two

• Jun 19, 2018

If Billy Bob Thornton wasn't in this film, it'd be the worst baseball flick ever.

• May 12, 2018

The original of this film is one of the greats -- brilliant script, characters, acting with depth, warmth and heart while also being very funny and smart. This remake lacks all of that, it is crude in interpretation, every change it makes to the original leaves it worst off for doing it, comes across as very behind the times with overly sexist, racist moments and general wash of immaturity throughout. Completely unfunny, unwatchable and cringe-worthy.

• Nov 27, 2016

best movie I've ever seen

best movie I've ever seen

• Dec 25, 2015

While the intention is quite admirable, its odd shifts in the pacing and characters in the third act don't mesh well with the rest of the film, in fact, it only slows down the already well-paced film. I can't compare it to the 1976 original since I haven't seen it yet, but for what it is it's damn entertaining. The script pushes the boundaries of the PG-13 rating and it'll surely offend those who can't take profanities. But at heart, it's a story about underdogs and I like movies like that. Thornton is excellent as the foul-mouthed, hard-drinking, and cynical coach Buttermaker, and director Linklater manages to make it funny, playfully subversive, and gently moving all at the same time. Bad News Bears is predictable, but I still liked it. Not a groundbreaking film in any sense, but still a good movie with good intention.

• Oct 07, 2015

Billy Bob Thornton and Greg Kinnear were good, that's probably it. Not that different from the original but just shows how that movie can never be made today. This is bad, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting and to me it was watchable. There is nothing in this movie that makes it seem like a Linklater movie, which is good I guess because people don't really count this as one of his films.

• Sep 01, 2015

This doesn't even touch the original...

This doesn't even touch the original...