The Barretts of Wimpole Street Reviews

• Sep 18, 2019

The Barretts of Wimpole Street is unfortunately little talked about nowadays despite its Best Picture nomination, but it surely deserves more love as the real life romance between Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett provides here a very moving story. The film is overly stagy and simply too slow in its first half, but the second half picks up speed and that's where the film reached its best melodramatic moments. It's an intriguing story fueled by reliably good performances from its killer cast.

• Aug 18, 2019

one of the better plays turned into a movie ive seen mostly because of the acting by main actress. there wasn't a lot of action to this film, like most plays its just dialogue which can make it move slow at times. also the ending scene was confusing to me as to why papa was the way he was, I guess most of it is implied like in many old movies but its just confusing when they dont come out and say it. seems like papa had very puritanical thoughts about sex because perhaps he was a pervert/incestous. one of the most romantic films ive ever seen tho, almost wish it would've been more about that. loved that lil dog Flush.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Mar 24, 2018

Well done melodrama of the growing love between Elizabeth Barrett (Shearer) and Robert Browning (March) in the face of her tyrannical and cruel father (Laughton). Drags along but then really picks up when Elizabeth decides to rebel against the suffocating moral, then down right creepy, strictures of her father. Good performances with Shearer giving just the right degree of pathos and growing strength, while March is the least effective of the three leads. Laughton's Edward Barrett stands out as a menacing presence in his scenes as well as when he's not on the screen.

• Antonius B Super Reviewer
    Dec 01, 2016

The love story between Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett is legendary, and her 'Sonnets from the Portuguese' contains some of the beautiful love poetry ever written. They were both already established poets when they began corresponding, but she was an invalid, and had doubts and insecurities that he helped overcome with steady, persistent, genuine love. What I had forgotten about their story was how poorly her father behaved towards her and the rest of his children, and this movie really shows us that, in what appears to be a pretty accurate way. Charles Laughton is brilliant as the overbearing, controlling, overprotective, borderline incestuous Mr. Barrett, father of 12, whose wife had passed away, and whose own frustrations in love had led him to forbid his children to marry. He's hard to watch at times, but certainly gives the best performance, and the movie is probably more about his inability to let his children go - indeed, he disinherited each one who married - than it is about the extraordinary love between Robert and Elizabeth, though Frederic March and Norma Shearer do have some tender scenes. I enjoyed watching it, but I suppose that's the reason I didn't give a higher rating. How much better would it have been had they incorporated even more of their relationship, and some of their letters and poetry. The movie would be remade 23 years later by the same director, Sidney Franklin, and would be a great choice to be remade (with script changes) again today.

• Apr 28, 2016

The Barretts of Wimpole Street is an excellent film. It is about the poet, Elizabeth Barrett. Norma Shearer and Fredric March give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Sidney Franklin did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. The Barretts of Wimpole Street is a must see.

• May 05, 2015

Couldn't get into this one, lots of melodrama.

Couldn't get into this one, lots of melodrama.

John B Super Reviewer
    Jul 15, 2013

A bit on the melodramatic side but I think this was the time period that created the melodrama. Fredric March is seemingly in every film as the leading man and here he performs his duty and gets his maid.

• Jun 06, 2012

good bio-pic/romance

good bio-pic/romance

• Aug 03, 2011

Okay film starring Norma Shearer as a sick woman who falls in love with Fredric March but her strict father Charles Laughton forbids her (and all of his children) to fall in love with anyone. I'm sure people ate this film up back in 1934, but now, it's just got some nice costumes, sets, and some good acting (well, for the most part, Shearer's cousin is so extremely over the top, or should I say "ovew the top"). The story is kind of dull and it's pretty predictable. Oh well, at least I got around to finally seeing it.