Basic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Basic Reviews

LWOODS04
½ July 3, 2009
"Basic was a good movie with a lot of twists. Everytime I thought I had it figured out it changed on me again. It was surprising right down to the ending credits.
The movie is about the murder of Sgt. Nathan and most of his squad. The suspects are the rest of his squad that came back alive. Agent Tom Hardy is called in to investigate the murder with the help of Captain Juila Osborne. They don't really hit it off since Capt. Osborne believes she is more than capable of doing the investigation on her own. The story continues to change as the mystery of what happened to Sgt. West is unraveled.
The film has a pretty decent cast with a great performance from Travolta. I would see this one again."
August 4, 2006
Full of twists and turns, but none of them particularly exciting, it's almost a film that tries too hard, the filming, I felt was a little too dark, visually speaking. Watchable, but easily forgettable.
½ February 11, 2011
The movie was alright, but I wish they'd not pulled out the oldest story from the book for the ending. As if this weren't enough, its predictable twist is followed by several unpredictable twists. Now, this might be a positive point for some, but it turned me off. Besides being totally unnecessary, these twists were utterly nonsensical and ruin the ending of the movie. I'd have rather liked the movie as a thriller than as a suspense. Had it ended right before that predictable twist, I guess I'd have liked the movie more.
½ December 11, 2006
An intense and hard-boiled thriller. An edge of your seat ride with suspense and surprises that you will never see coming. You'll be guessing right till the very end. A gripping, electrifying, sensational, pulse-pounding and action-packed mystery. John Travolta gives an awsome and explosive performance.
bbcfloridabound
December 22, 2008
This is a great film, John Travolta played an awesome part. Alone with the rest of the crew. The interrogation parts were to real. The Mission parts real. Prior Military will enjoy, those who have never even looked at a uniform let alone put one on, most likely will not enjoy and give a bad review, my question, why did you even rent it. In my opinion a must see movie.
puffchunk
September 24, 2007
sucked.
April 17, 2007
A spin on Rashomon. Bringing it to modern day with a group of soldiers. This film also saw John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson reunited after Pulp Fiction. Only problem is they are hardly on screen together. Although the film is perfectly respectable, it sometimes fumbles about with the complex narrative and as the viewer I became as irritated as the lead investigator. Enjoyable but missable.
August 21, 2012
Basic is a suspense thriller from director John McTiernan that's overly complicated and takes a few too many turns. The story follows an investigation into a training accident in which 4 officers have gone missing and are presumed dead. John Travolta, Connie Nielsen, Samuel L. Jackson, and Giovanni Ribisi lead the cast and deliver some really good performances. And the story is well told, and effectively builds the suspense and mystery...until the last act. It tries to be a bit too clever and it ends up backfiring. Plot failings aside, Basic still manages to deliver and intense and suspense drama with a captivating mystery.
March 14, 2015
The screenplay starts off alright, promising a "Rashomon" type narrative, but it delivers a series of outrageous twists instead.
July 23, 2012
Relying heavily on John Travolta's skills in front of the camera, Basic is held down mostly by its debilitating sets (basically just an office and a hospital bed) while completely keeping the audience in the dark with contradicting stories of what actually happened during the routine training gone bad, until, at one point, nothing makes much sense. Saved by an unforgettable twist ending, however, Basic is still able to reach a level of mediocrity worthy of at least being called an average thriller.
½ February 15, 2008
Perhaps too many plot twists? Is that possible? But I was pleasantly surprised.
divinetrash
December 18, 2007
The movie thinks it's so smart because it keeps throwing twist after twist, when in reality what it is doing is change all the information all the time.
alanjayh
½ May 17, 2010
Remember the movie "The Usual Suspects??" If you enjoyed that one, run to see this movie! The acting by Travolta is a joy to watch, and the storytelling will hold your interest...the plot twists are like riding a rollercoaster and will keep your mind spinning. The ending is a stunner you won't see coming, trust me.
March 10, 2008
meh...
½ April 6, 2007
The twist in this movie is subtle which makes it that much better in the end!!!
kylemydude
November 6, 2007
This movie keeps you guessing right until the very end, right when you think you know the truth, it switches on you into a whole different direction.
June 28, 2007
Great film, superb performances and a good twist.
DrLappos
May 18, 2007
Very good story with a twist.
November 15, 2014
i actually thought this was a fairly intriguing story that kept me into it. but overall the movie was disappointing for a few reasons,

SPOILERS

one specific small part was when the colonel "slipped up" when being questioned about the dead patient. he responded "you think i poisoned him" when no one else knew that yet. i know it could happen but for someone running an elaborate drug scheme and trying to avoid decades in jail, you would think he would be a little more careful.

when i first watched the film in theaters, i thought the final twist was awesome. now it just seems out of place, forced, and extremely convenient. it seems like they just made up a bunch of stuff to try to confuse people until they get to the final twist, which is basically "haha just kidding everyone is alive and everything you just watched was a lie"

Then there are other huge coincidences, like why was travolta chosen to investigate an incident that just so happened to involve half of his super secret team? you could argue that they set it up that way, but if that was the case then travolta knew that the colonel was dirty and the entire investigation was useless. And he was hand selected by the colonel because he was being investigated for bribery and might have been buy-able.

There are a lot of plot holes, I'm sure I could find more if I watched it again. It tried to be too smart for its own good. (3 views)
September 3, 2014
This movie was well done but way to convoluted for its own good. It has a definite "rashomon" quality and it would have been better if they kept it at just that. it sad that films today still make this mistake by forcing to many twists.