Basic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Basic Reviews

January 23, 2018
A masterpiece of bad movie making, watch as the plot twists erase all meaning of the characters within it!
January 16, 2018
Good movie, good plot. I reccomend this to anyone who likes a good story and appreciate the subtlety they use in it.
ALSO the cast is really good.
January 11, 2018
Very enjoyable movie. Great cast of characters with convincing and believable acting. I appreciate a movie that's unpredictable. Basic requires tight focus and Dayum John Travolta is still hot.
½ November 25, 2017
So many twist and confusing plot. viewers may loose interest in watching movie within half an hour in the movie. story is very bad they could have done better.

Samuel l jackson is keeping his standard in performance.

Many of the viewers may not be happy with the performance travolta.
October 22, 2017
Confusing as heck but still entertaining
September 7, 2017
A tense survival tale that ends with what amounts to a 3rd grader finishing one's homework at the last second. A missing third-act reel would've sufficed.
½ July 27, 2017
Still enjoyed this after 14 years. The story is strong enough to keep you engaged, despite some over acting from Sanchez and a terrible attempt at being American by Connie. It tries to be Usual Suspects, but will never be in it's class, ever!
April 16, 2017
What a crazy movie with a twist!
½ July 8, 2016
McTiernan does what he does best, simple twists that feel earth-shattering, with actors that you love. An easy watch with chemistries you want to be part of.
½ May 3, 2016
A military mystery whodunnit. Told in the P.O.V. he said, she said style. Falls short in many ways. But, it holds your attention.
January 29, 2016
Enjoyable film if you like complicated plots. As a John McTiernan fan, I was fairly satisfied by it (although I definitely prefer other films of his). However, if you already like other McTiernan films, you might enjoy this one.
December 23, 2015
Twist after twist, worth the effort.
½ December 15, 2015
Absolutely one of my favo darkish movies to fall asleep with, without sound, when I'm very very tired. Story: pure crap. The rate of twists is impossible to comprehend.
½ June 28, 2015
Good cast but a few too many twist and.....hell I've already lost interest.
½ April 28, 2015
Not sure why I watch Travolta anymore.
April 23, 2015
Usual Suspects lite. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon. However, once again Connie Nielsen proves she can't maintain an American accent to save her life.
March 14, 2015
The screenplay starts off alright, promising a "Rashomon" type narrative, but it delivers a series of outrageous twists instead.
February 12, 2015
Surpsied this movie has a low score; I thought it was pretty good
January 8, 2015
81%
Saw this on 8/1/14
Basic is a film with one of the most number of twists and at most of it's 1hr 38min duration, it relies more on it's twists. It's performances are good, so is John McTiernan's direction. In the end, basic stays afloat.
January 7, 2015
i actually thought this was a fairly intriguing story that kept me into it. but overall the movie was disappointing for a few reasons,

SPOILERS

one specific small part was when the colonel "slipped up" when being questioned about the dead patient. he responded "you think i poisoned him" when no one else knew that yet. i know it could happen but for someone running an elaborate drug scheme and trying to avoid decades in jail, you would think he would be a little more careful.

when i first watched the film in theaters, i thought the final twist was awesome. now it just seems out of place, forced, and extremely convenient. it seems like they just made up a bunch of stuff to try to confuse people until they get to the final twist, which is basically "haha just kidding everyone is alive and everything you just watched was a lie"

Then there are other huge coincidences, like why was travolta chosen to investigate an incident that just so happened to involve half of his super secret team? you could argue that they set it up that way, but if that was the case then travolta knew that the colonel was dirty and the entire investigation was useless. And he was hand selected by the colonel because he was being investigated for bribery and might have been buy-able.

There are a lot of plot holes, I'm sure I could find more if I watched it again. It tried to be too smart for its own good. (3 views)