*batteries not included - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

*batteries not included Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
July 2, 2012
Batteries not Included is a childhood favorite and is a perfect family film. Well directed by Matthew Robbins, this is a great film and it has such a good story. This is the type of film that remains a classic long after you've seen it. The cast here are wonderful in their parts and this is such a wonderful film. The story is just great and charming. As far as family films are concerned, this is the perfect film to watch as a family. With plenty of memorable scenes, this film just is pure magic and loads of fun from start to finish. I very much loved the film, thought it was very entertaining and fun. The film succeeded at being one of those films that has stood the test of time. This is a brilliant film, one that people of all ages will surely enjoy. This is a fine mix of drama and comedy with Sci Fi, and it works very well. Steven Spielberg has produced this film, and he helps give it a bit more charm. A great film that is almost perfect, Batteries not Included is a must see. The special effects are great as well and the aliens are well done as well. This is simply put a charming, well directed family film that is a must see for anyone of all ages. This is a fun film from start to finish. This is one of the best films of its kind since E.T and it has everything you'd expect from a family film. Matthew Robbins directs something special here, and it's no wonder that Batteries not Included is such a fine little film. This is a must see for nostalgia fans and this one does bring some good memories.
April 12, 2011
A heartwarming story of aliens saving a lost group of souls. I grew up watching this movie and it will always be one of my favorites.
September 11, 2009
For many years, I've been wanting to see "Batteries Not Included," but none of the local video stores carried it, so I had to wait until it came on television. I finally got my chance tonight to watch what my mom calls 'one of her favorites.'
In "Batteries Not Included," a couple of miniature UFO's enter a housing complex that has troubled people living inside its quarters. These people are troubled because the building in which they are living, is on schedule to be torn down to shreds, and they don't want to move to a different place. As strange as it may sound, these two tiny UFO's just might be able to help these humans. That is, if they're friendly unidentified flying objects.

I agree that "Batteries Not Included" is a good movie, but unlike my mom, I wouldn't call it one of my favorites. It has decent acting, it's entertaining, and the special effects are good enough. It's a mix between a drama and a family movie. One part even stood out as being hilarious, and you'll know it when you see it. If you like good movies, I recommend at least renting "Batteries Not Included." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001.
½ January 4, 2008
Poor SFX. Passable family movie.
skactopus
½ November 2, 2007
A sci-fi film with such an original story for its time. Heck, it still is an original story.The movie takes a while to get going. You don't get to see the mechanical aliens for a good half hour or so, but before that time you get some good character development and a good understanding of the story. You actually start to feel for the characters as everything in their lives has hit rock bottom. Low and behold, their lives are enhanced by these little mechanical lifeforms. I know it sounds a little corny, but the story actually plays out pretty well. The lifeforms are adorable and many people will fall in love with them. What this film also does well is focus on the sounds. Not only do the robots look cute, with some good CG for its time, but the sound effects used for the robots are also done well, making for a great all around experience. The only real disappointment about them is that there is no real background as to what they are or where they came from.The acting is also pretty good. It is nice to see some earlier roles from the likes of Elizabeth Pena and Dennis Boutsikaris. Michael Carmine does a nice job as Carlos and Jessica Tandy does a good senile Faye.This film may be a little slow for some people, but those that are looking for a nice sci-fi drama, look no further. This is a great film for all ages, but be warned since there is a little bit of swearing. Nothing really to worry about though.
puffchunk
October 23, 2007
Been a while.
December 31, 2006
A great family film, with cool effects. Has some very funny moments.
½ March 11, 2007
Fun family sci-fi story about little UFOs who come to the aid of a New York family facing eviction.
½ February 15, 2007
This was one of my most favorite movies when I was little!
sanjurosamurai
½ January 18, 2007
when i was a kid this was a fun movie
December 27, 2006
A classic. Every kid should see this.
deano
October 16, 2006
A group of tiny little aliens are boring and poor.
March 15, 2015
Steven Spielberg presents the silly and quirky family comedy *batteries not included. The story follows the residents of a rundown apartment building that are visited by a pair of alien robots that fix things; meanwhile a land developer works to evict the residents and tear down the building. It's a convoluted plot that makes no sense, and the characters are paper thin. The robots have an interesting look, but they're not fleshed out either (as they come and go for no particular reason). Also, the jokes are rather formulaic and predictable. Unfortunately, *batteries not included is little more than a stereotypical band of misfits fighting an eviction type film with robots thrown in, and it doesn't really work.
April 13, 2016
The typical family movie. Warm, loving, and enchanting. I forgot how good hat this was to watch and it still stands up now.
ManifestPanda
½ July 30, 2011
One of the cutest movies on the planet. Also one of the most unnecessary and cliche ones.
½ November 27, 2006
Enjoyed this when it played in theatres as a kid. Not sure how it holds up today.
shanehaley41
May 15, 2009
Steven Spielberg not only produces but also stars in the family cult classic Batteries Not Included. A dilapidated building is threatened with demolition by new urban developers. They have employed local degenerates to assist with clearing out the residents. The building is old and some of the people living there have made their living there and refuse to leave. The residents are visited one night by tiny mechanical aliens that not only seek shelter but also possess a skill that turns out to be a major help to all that live in the building. I loved this movie as a teen and it was just as powerful last night as it was then. Steven Spielberg is a legend in his own time, as much then as he is now.
August 15, 2007
Omg. Jessica Tandy throwing plates around the house like they're flying saucers! This movie is so funny and cute.
½ May 19, 2016
A cute movie but seems a bit underdeveloped. Never really explains where or how the robots come about. What was with the villain? It seemed the movie couldnt decide whether he was bad or good and never really went anywhere with his character except flip flopping. I thought the old lady was delightful and well acted. I also really did enjoy the robots. A heart warming story about friendship and the underdogs coming togehter.
April 26, 2016
Flying robot saucers help an old couple save their apartment building from ruthless developers. I couldn't help but feel sorry for Cronyn and Tandy who were such a delight in Cocoon, labor their way through this muddled mess that seems too much like a adult version of Short Circuit, another robot comedy from the previous year. This movie is way too long and uninspired to entertain the youngest of families and too hokey to appeal to the grown ups.