*batteries not included - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

*batteries not included Reviews

October 2, 2016
Un petit film sympathique
September 9, 2016
9/4/2016: An ok movie at best. A cheesy 80's sci-fi flick. Nothing great or memorable.
½ September 6, 2016
It wasn't overly exciting but it definitely kept my attention. I could see myself watching it again in 5-10 years.
½ September 3, 2016
A typically charming sci-fi film- basically what's expected when Spielberg's name is attached. The plot is rather basic with happy contemporary characters in hard times. The effects are pretty fun. There's a few bumps, and some awkwardness, but otherwise it's a harmless family film.
August 16, 2016
Old time movie I love it
August 1, 2016
A cute, pretty-good movie. Good Sunday afternoon fare.
½ July 31, 2016
A handful of remaining residents in an old building get a helping hand against a land developer's thugs trying to force them out from small alien spaceships. Passable on its own but a bit disappointing given Speilberg's involvement. Would have been better with more sinister thugs.
June 20, 2016
Flying saucers remodel a soon to be condemned apartment building in this silly family drama that wastes the talents of Ameche, Tandy and Esai Morales (who was phenomenal in last years "LaBamba".
June 14, 2016
one that i watched a few times as kid and never could remember much............... it's decent for nostalgia sake, just wish they would have have a back story for the origins of the UFO beings.
June 5, 2016
What a cute movie. I haven't seen it since the late 1980s, so maybe it's not the same, but I loved it then. UPDATE: I re-watched it and it still holds up as a cute 80s movie.
½ May 19, 2016
A cute movie but seems a bit underdeveloped. Never really explains where or how the robots come about. What was with the villain? It seemed the movie couldnt decide whether he was bad or good and never really went anywhere with his character except flip flopping. I thought the old lady was delightful and well acted. I also really did enjoy the robots. A heart warming story about friendship and the underdogs coming togehter.
May 18, 2016
this movie has a feel-good feel to it! It's enjoyable from beginning to end!
May 12, 2016
Charming but not that memorable.
April 26, 2016
Flying robot saucers help an old couple save their apartment building from ruthless developers. I couldn't help but feel sorry for Cronyn and Tandy who were such a delight in Cocoon, labor their way through this muddled mess that seems too much like a adult version of Short Circuit, another robot comedy from the previous year. This movie is way too long and uninspired to entertain the youngest of families and too hokey to appeal to the grown ups.
½ April 26, 2016
This film might be evidence of just how much nostalgia can affect my judgement. I suspect it's not nearly as good a movie as I give it credit for, but I feel so happy when I watch it. For a quick synopsis, this is the story of a group of tenants who live in an apartment complex that is standing in the way of a big corporation's new construction. The tenants don't want to leave, and corporation does everything they can to force them out anyways. That's about the time when mechanical alien lifeforms appear and begin to fix everything (literally and figuratively.) A lot of movies might drag their feet setting up the characters and the situation before introducing the aliens, but this one moves with efficient timing. We meet the different residents of the building quickly and it's pretty early on when the first alien appears. I think the visual effects of these creatures is solid and blends pretty well with the sets and actors. I'm never sure whether they are using a full-sized prop on a string, or some type of miniature/animation that is added in later. However, the effectiveness of the story lies more on how much you buy into the character's motivations. Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy are the leads and they definitely add most of the heart to the movie. The other tenants are not bad, but their plight feels less dire and some of their scenes come across as strange meanderings in the plot. The film as a whole isn't great, but it has enough heartwarming moments, and fun characters that I still enjoy it a lot. I have trouble recommending Batteries Not Included because I know my fondness from childhood elevates it for me, but I will say the movie probably won't upset or frustrate anyone. It's simple, sweet, and not bad for the whole family.
April 13, 2016
The typical family movie. Warm, loving, and enchanting. I forgot how good hat this was to watch and it still stands up now.
½ April 7, 2016
good story only thing holding it back is its slow at times. great as acting
½ March 30, 2016
There are certain movies that tend to stay with you throughout your life like a favorite song. If you happen to be channel surfing one night and run across it would inevitably stop the lives of the members you have attached to it. One such movie that has everything necessary to fulfill this niche in cinema is '*batteries not included'. It was originally supposed to be part of the Steven Spielberg television anthology series, 'Amazing Stories', but Mr. Spielberg believed the story has the potential he decided to push for theatrical release. The story is delightfully simplistic in an example of how such high concept stories can be quite endearing. The fundamental theme is rooted deep in storytelling with examples found in folklore, mythology, literature and even movies. A group of tenants occupying a block of apartments is being forced by their greedy landlord to move so that he can knock the buildings down making it possible for a developer to turn over the property making him a lot of money. The people on this block upon the type that community despite the differences in ages and ethnic backgrounds. There reluctant to give up their homes, the very heart of their lives. As a result the developer hires a local street gang to help ''sway 'their decision. They are about to give into the prudish coercion but a group of sentient extraterrestrial robots been to save the day. The situation has been replayed throughout time in the history books and literature. So many residents echo this thing defenseless town being bullied by a group of outlaws such as the 'Magnificent Seven' driven tire cultures are threatened by explorers from across the ocean. In real life however there is very rarely anyone to write and save the day. This is the kind of film that is followed me has technology has advanced. I saw this film in the theater with my wife and later had a copy on VHS. That of course was replaced by DVD which is now retired in favor of the newly remastered high-definition treatment on Blu-ray.

Frank and Faye Riley (Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy), have managed apartment building operated a café in the East Village for as long as anyone can remember. During better days the neighborhood had been a solid working class community which they so many of a New York City have become dilapidated. Lacey (Michael Greene), the manager of a property development company, has set his eyes on that area but the one holdout are Frank and Faye. Lacey dispatches a particular sinister street gang led by Carlos (Michael Carmine) asking them to convince the tenants of the apartment house to move out using means necessary. After a meager attempted at bribery fails Carlos and his gang move on to their more preferred method of persuasion. The punch through the door to the apartment occupied by Mason Baylor's (Dennis Boutsikaris), a burgeoning artist his girlfriend. To demonstrate just how despicable these hoodlums are the threatened the young, single pregnant woman Marisa Esteval (Elizabeth Peńa) and smashing the prize possession of a retired boxer, Harry Knoble's (Frank McRae), the jar holding his collection of tiles. The attack does have limited success. Mason's girlfriend breaks up with him setting that she is sick and tired of living in such a rundown building and that he should go and get a real job instead of pretending to be an artist. Friends of the Riley's, Sid (Tom Aldredge) and Muriel (Jane Hoffman) Hogenson sufficiently frightened to take the bride and reluctantly leave. They explained to their longtime friends that enable just doesn't feel like home anymore advise them to do the same encumber them to a nice retirement community in New Jersey.

In the aftermath of the violence, Marissa and Mason begin to draw closer. She appreciates his art and encourages them to continue and opens up to him how a boyfriend, Hector (Charles Raymond), a musician, left her after his band received a job offer in Chicago. Frank can bring himself to leave because they has dementia living in the past with their deceased son is still alive. This is the only place that's familiar to the living there so long together, he cannot bear to rip for away. Just as things most hopeless window inadvertently left open allows the entry of extraterrestrial robots that are a live and able to repair all the damage of anything they find broken. The extent of their repairs is almost magical bringing it back to its brand-new state. The repair the damage of the café inflicted on by the folks bringing it back to how it looked when first opened. After boiling off the subsequent attack by the box the turns out that one of the robots is 'pregnant', and begins to consume anything metallic or electronic in nature. Eventually three new aliens are born but one of them appears to be stillborn. Faye lovingly buries it but Frank retrieves it and by taking part of his most beloved possession, is television set, he manages to bring it back to life.

No synopsis could properly convey the emotional depth of this story. While most people focus on the altruistic nature of the robots human kindness extended to them by Frank and Faye is crucial to the overall tone of the movie. Even in her state of dementia or Faye never lost an iota of her compassion, a quality she loving shared with her husband for many decades. In real life Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy were married for 70 years the chemistry they brought to the screen was exceptionally real and nurtured over a lifetime. When Frank sacrificed one object he treasured in order to bring the little alien back to life he demonstrated a capacity for sacrifice that stood in sharp contrast to the avarice of the developer. It deep in the channel of communication between the aliens and the human tenants, they both have a need to fix that which is broken.

This gentle story exhibits all the basic trappings of Steven Spielberg, who did serve as the executive producer. There is a childlike dichotomy between good and evil, a solid line defining them nit requiring shades of grey. The gang members threaten a helpless pregnant woman yet a frail, elderly man is willing to make a personal sacrifice to an infant alien robot. The robots exhibit the best of humanity, something shared with the tenants while the developer, and by extension, his henchmen, showcase the most heinous. This is a morality play modernized to fit the sensibilities of a techno-centric culture. For those of us that remember when a café or soda fountain was the center of a neighborhood's societal identity it is easier to understand why the reinvigoration of the café is of such a huge importance, it ignited a long lost spark of hope. To have this film remastered in high definition reflects a similar sense of happiness in the longtime fans of this film. This is a movie that is frequently underestimated by those approaching it as part of the critical community. This is something created to reach out to people on a purely emotional basis and to that end is succeeds.
March 25, 2016
*batteries not included has left a legacy that embodies good-spirited movie magic. It's an endlessly lovable movie, built around a simple premise that becomes fantastical and serves to only reinforce core human values. It's very well made, enjoying direction that underscores its qualities and performances that accentuate its humanity.
February 27, 2016
Great children movie. Enjoy every second. I would like to see a remake or sequel.