*batteries not included - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

*batteries not included Reviews

½ January 25, 2017
A science fiction / fantasy comedy with a slightly dark edge that manages to charm with it's mini flying saucer aliens who seem packed with personality. The cast do well with an OK script and manage to make this a great little movie. However it's the little flying saucers who are the real stars of the show.
½ January 23, 2017
Batteries not included is.......interesting. I remember watching this as a kid, but now it's really cheesy, I don't know what to say about it I'll give it a 5/10
January 15, 2017
Although by todays' standards ( 2017) the special effects show their age, it's still a feel good movie.
½ January 14, 2017
It's like a heartwarming musical... without the music.
October 2, 2016
Un petit film sympathique
September 9, 2016
9/4/2016: An ok movie at best. A cheesy 80's sci-fi flick. Nothing great or memorable.
½ September 6, 2016
It wasn't overly exciting but it definitely kept my attention. I could see myself watching it again in 5-10 years.
½ September 3, 2016
A typically charming sci-fi film- basically what's expected when Spielberg's name is attached. The plot is rather basic with happy contemporary characters in hard times. The effects are pretty fun. There's a few bumps, and some awkwardness, but otherwise it's a harmless family film.
August 16, 2016
Old time movie I love it
August 1, 2016
A cute, pretty-good movie. Good Sunday afternoon fare.
½ July 31, 2016
A handful of remaining residents in an old building get a helping hand against a land developer's thugs trying to force them out from small alien spaceships. Passable on its own but a bit disappointing given Speilberg's involvement. Would have been better with more sinister thugs.
June 20, 2016
Flying saucers remodel a soon to be condemned apartment building in this silly family drama that wastes the talents of Ameche, Tandy and Esai Morales (who was phenomenal in last years "LaBamba".
June 14, 2016
one that i watched a few times as kid and never could remember much............... it's decent for nostalgia sake, just wish they would have have a back story for the origins of the UFO beings.
June 5, 2016
What a cute movie. I haven't seen it since the late 1980s, so maybe it's not the same, but I loved it then. UPDATE: I re-watched it and it still holds up as a cute 80s movie.
½ May 19, 2016
A cute movie but seems a bit underdeveloped. Never really explains where or how the robots come about. What was with the villain? It seemed the movie couldnt decide whether he was bad or good and never really went anywhere with his character except flip flopping. I thought the old lady was delightful and well acted. I also really did enjoy the robots. A heart warming story about friendship and the underdogs coming togehter.
May 18, 2016
this movie has a feel-good feel to it! It's enjoyable from beginning to end!
May 12, 2016
Charming but not that memorable.
April 26, 2016
Flying robot saucers help an old couple save their apartment building from ruthless developers. I couldn't help but feel sorry for Cronyn and Tandy who were such a delight in Cocoon, labor their way through this muddled mess that seems too much like a adult version of Short Circuit, another robot comedy from the previous year. This movie is way too long and uninspired to entertain the youngest of families and too hokey to appeal to the grown ups.
½ April 26, 2016
This film might be evidence of just how much nostalgia can affect my judgement. I suspect it's not nearly as good a movie as I give it credit for, but I feel so happy when I watch it. For a quick synopsis, this is the story of a group of tenants who live in an apartment complex that is standing in the way of a big corporation's new construction. The tenants don't want to leave, and corporation does everything they can to force them out anyways. That's about the time when mechanical alien lifeforms appear and begin to fix everything (literally and figuratively.) A lot of movies might drag their feet setting up the characters and the situation before introducing the aliens, but this one moves with efficient timing. We meet the different residents of the building quickly and it's pretty early on when the first alien appears. I think the visual effects of these creatures is solid and blends pretty well with the sets and actors. I'm never sure whether they are using a full-sized prop on a string, or some type of miniature/animation that is added in later. However, the effectiveness of the story lies more on how much you buy into the character's motivations. Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy are the leads and they definitely add most of the heart to the movie. The other tenants are not bad, but their plight feels less dire and some of their scenes come across as strange meanderings in the plot. The film as a whole isn't great, but it has enough heartwarming moments, and fun characters that I still enjoy it a lot. I have trouble recommending Batteries Not Included because I know my fondness from childhood elevates it for me, but I will say the movie probably won't upset or frustrate anyone. It's simple, sweet, and not bad for the whole family.
April 13, 2016
The typical family movie. Warm, loving, and enchanting. I forgot how good hat this was to watch and it still stands up now.