The Beach Reviews

• Dec 29, 2020

Fills a certain niche. One of those movies that transported me to another place... got me thinking about another potential way of living. A little slice of paradise... well, paradise lost. Will always love this movie though.

• Dec 06, 2020

It was a great movie RT was wrong about this one

It was a great movie RT was wrong about this one

• Jul 15, 2020

Don't get me wrong Leonardo DiCaprio gives a really good performance throughout this movie and the movie's got the class song from Pure Shores - The Beach. Apart from those good things about the movie, it's just not a very good one, it's got decent scenes throughout but that's later on and they really don't seem to work right for some reason and the plot is just confusing, don't get me started on that.

• Jul 10, 2020

Not having read the Alex Garland novel on which this movie is based, it is difficult to judge quite how successful an adaptation Danny Boyle made with this movie. It seems fairly clear that it is trying to revisit themes from Apocalypse Now and Lord of the Flies, redefined for the backpacker generation but is neither as compelling or disturbing as those two movies. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Richard on a thrill-seeking holiday in Thailand, the plot is a confused mishmash of themes. Richard is given a map showing a secret island where there is supposed to be a beach of unrivalled beauty and an endless supply of weed. Richard presides two fellow travellers to accompany him and they eventually find themselves on a paradise island, cut off from the rest of society with a small commune of ravers and hippies. The setting seems idyllic but soon, events turn ugly and the commune begins to fall apart. DiCaprio is fine in the lead but I have some issues with the plot concerning his temporary, all too brief, decent into madness which seems to pass as easily as it began. Tilda Swinton gives the role of manipulative and controlling commune leader Sal a good go but doesn't get enough of a reckoning for her actions in my opinion. I think the main problem with the movie is that not one of the characters are likeable. They all come over as deluded and over privileged, each deserving the horrible events that they ultimately bring upon themselves. Rather than gaining some insight into the depths that humans will sink to, I was left with a sense of schadenfreude. I don't think any of them went on to become better people, in fact, I am sure that Richard made it home, got a job in Wall Street and caused the financial crash a few years later. Bastard! ...and DiCaprio has unexpectedly freaky toes. Once viewed, you'll never be able to unsee them!

• Jun 15, 2020

This was at times suspenseful and exciting; however, it didn't make that much sense. As soon as they got to their destination, it dwindled. The dysfunctional dynamic wasn't fully justified in this portrayal.

• Jun 05, 2020

It's worth sitting through the few bad bits for the good bits. Scenery is king!

It's worth sitting through the few bad bits for the good bits. Scenery is king!

• Feb 08, 2020

A strange movie about an earthly paradise which isn't what it seems. Not bad at all.

• Jan 24, 2020

One of the most underrated movies of Caprio’s early career...and whose social impact is largely underestimated and foreseen. It was to my generation one of the first wake up calls. One that showed us there’s another way to live. One that showed we are the first to get struck by globalization in a way that running away from reality for a bit is a real option. But also one showing the repercussions if you run too far. With a better casting this could’ve been a real slam dunk. Still, to this day one of the movies that really brings me back that feeling of youthful carelessness. That hope that you can still get away, even for a tiny bit. You can go and live differently and be fine with it.

• Jan 15, 2020

I've been wanting to watch this eversince it was promoted with All Saint's Pure Shore as the OST doing the early 2000s.I guess this movie is the reason why there's a high percentage of foreign travel beggars in Thailand, hahahaha.Very inspiring to travel solo and explore the beaches. Tilda Swinson, my favorite actress is also here. The message that the movie is trying to convey is the false idea of what we thought is paradise.

• Jan 14, 2020

Its true that this movie isn't great, but I find it extremely watchable.

Its true that this movie isn't great, but I find it extremely watchable.