Bedknobs and Broomsticks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bedknobs and Broomsticks Reviews

October 24, 2017
This one of great classic Disney movie who bring after Mary Poppins movie of all time
½ April 27, 2017
Angela Lansbury is perfectly cast in a movie that looks and feels like an effort to recapture the magic of Mary Poppins. Athough it never quite gets there and is a little too long, it is a fun, entertaining movie in it's own right and another live action /animation crossover worthy of the Disney name.
March 10, 2017
The movie earns minor points for the last 15- 20 minutes that makes up for the rest of the DOA film. D+
February 5, 2017
Bedknobs and Broomsticks takes a familiar scenario and provides outstanding acting, great music and a lot of humor. If you can get pass the ww2 element of the film, it is a brilliant childerns movie and both gritty and fun.
½ January 25, 2017
I'm having a real tough time rating/reviewing this movie. On the one hand I want to say I love it and it's nearly on par with Mary Poppins. On the other hand I want to say it's way too long and could use a fair amount of editing. Part of this problem comes from Disney's HORRIBLE decision to resurrect scenes that were chopped out of the movie to make it fit a shorter timeframe. While it's nice to have the songs back, the scenes add nothing to the story.

As a child I grew up with the shorter version and it was quite delightful. The humor seems to flow from start to finish. The battle scene at the end is positively hilarious. The songs are typical Sherman brothers brilliance, and quite addictive. Then they put in the animated scenes and you have a great film for the whole family. True , the plot isn't quite as heartfelt as Mary Poppins, but it's interesting enough to keep you watching.

But it seems nearly impossible to find that version now. They have reinserted all these little scenes that start to make the movie drag. Plus the audio was irretrievable in parts so they had to have other actors dub in some of the lines. It looks ridiculous and makes this look like some amateur indie film. If I could find the original cut I would probably boost this rating a lot. For now I need to be much more critical.

Revision in 2017: Because of poor decisions by Disney, the DVD release of Bedknobs and Broomsticks utilized a bunch of deleted scenes that they found in the archives and tried shoving them back into the film. Some of these scenes even had horrible audio problems so they had to get someone to try and sound like David Tomlinson in order to ADR his lines. It was so terrible and so distracting that I had downgraded my rating for the film by a full star. Luckily, I finally got the Blu-Ray release and I'm delighted to see it back to the original theatrical presentation that I grew up loving. This movie is pure entertainment for me, and a fair amount of nostalgia as well. I love the interactions of the kids with Angela Lansbury, and Tomlinson fits right in when he joins the film. The animated sequence is great, with a lot of laughs. But the crowning jewel of Bedknobs and Broomsticks is that climax. It is absolutely hilarious and manages to make me chuckle every time even though I've seen it a lot. This is one of the unsung Disney classics that I think more families should check out.
December 8, 2016
you can't beat the feel good factor. Animation and music is top rate. The script is a well placed masterpiece
½ November 18, 2016
A very cute movie but with really choppy editing and if you want a very entertaining cut of the film, watch the 2001 restored cut, it might seem a little long but It does have a few improvements and filled plot holes that the Original Cut of the film need to clear up. Though some things in it weren't necessary to have. But overall the songs are pretty catchy but it feels a little dated, but still overall a delightful movie to watch for the whole family.
½ October 8, 2016
I couldn't get into this at all. Just too cheesy and uninteresting.
September 19, 2016
Still holds up as a great family film. The magical element combined with the WW2 scenario works well.
August 8, 2016
My love for this tremendous film runs on pure nostalgia and admiration. Maybe the most underrated film ever made!
½ August 6, 2016
Ever think... Hey, what if The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe wasn't a stuffy metaphor for Christianity? Well here ya go.
Better yet, the children and Murder She Wrote actually help "root the jerrys" instead of hiding in a closet with a naked goat man.
It is a musical however, 1/2 deduction for unnecessary use of song.
½ July 13, 2016
A literal replica of "Mary Poppins" with some amount of both the same sort of grandness and magical charm, but it'd focused more on the quantity of showcases rather than overall quality whilst attempted to push the special effects bar through a somewhat dullish animated sequence and roughening edges. Nevertheless, it's still a typical Disney picture to enjoy. (B)

(Full review TBD)
July 12, 2016
Another brilliant movie that marked my childhood, with "Ghostbusters" and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?", I have very good memories of this I made it go very well every time I saw it on video, I was excited and I was captivated with its musical numbers, the magical powers that made move objects or transported anywhere in the world on a bed, outdated worthy of Academy Award special effects and tender and funny story full of sweet and happy moments that touched the heart and I plunged into the world of dreams, laughter, music and magic.
I still really enjoy driving her to see on DVD and making me remember those wonderful years when he was very young and enjoyed, for me the best moment of the whole movie is and will remain the Battle of living armor fighting German soldiers the soccer game with animals was fine but the armor will fight is the one I like best of all, still excites me and fun when I see again that sequence makes me feel as if I still had six years I hope that there are still parents in the world who put their children this jewel of children's films instead of wasting time and lives with bullshit Shin-Chan, so let ponedles this movie that is sure most kids enjoy a weekend with this wonder, if you will not regret !.
March 28, 2016
Bedknobs and Broomsticks has some very memorable moments, but the pacing of this children's movie is a little off. Clocking in at 139 minutes, this film takes its time to get the ball rolling, which is not something you want when you're watching it with your kids. Luckily, the songs, the spells and the animated soccer game re-claimed their attention. They could have shaved 30 minutes off this movie and it would have been better for it.
½ March 25, 2016
What an Old cracker, never tire of watching these family films
February 20, 2016
An enchanting movie that takes you to all sorts of magical places. I love the pairing of Angela Lansbury and David Tomlinson in this musical fantasy. The songs by the Sherman Brothers are fun and memorable as per usual. It's a wonderful family film. (First full viewing - 1/2/2009)
December 23, 2015
Delightfully British! With great performances from Angela Lansbury, David Tomlinson, and the children, and with catchy music from the Sherman brothers, this movie is a lot of fun!
December 2, 2015
A fun and odd classic that is interesting to watch.