Bedknobs and Broomsticks Reviews

• Jan 26, 2020

Heartfelt movie and a Disney Classic!

Heartfelt movie and a Disney Classic!

• Jan 16, 2020

To all the people who keep comparing this to Mary Poppins, I wish you were in the soccer scene and got trampled by all the animals. That is not how you review movies. You don't review movies by comparing them to others. 10/10 good graphics

• Dec 26, 2019

There are elements that are very much of its time, but overall it’s still good fun, with still impressive visual effects work.

• Dec 15, 2019

"Bedknobs and Broomsticks" is a decent Disney flick, yet doesn't quite rise to the level of its counterpart "Mary Poppins" in effectively carrying out a mix of animation and live action. Pretty basic story set in WW II England where three children are sent to the countryside and wind up with Miss Price (Lansbury), who happens to be an apprentice witch. The action is pretty mundane, as are the dance number, the Portobello Road one even being a little cringe worthy. The tunes are pretty forgettable, other than "Bobbing Along, On the Beautiful Briny Sea". Most of the casts performances are ok, even Angela Lansbury, who pretty much carries most of the movie, but in a rather subdued manner. Even the kiddies might find "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" a bit of a bore.

• Sep 29, 2019

"What's that got to do with my knob?"

"What's that got to do with my knob?"

• May 15, 2019

A swell childhood classic of mine that still lives up to this day.

A swell childhood classic of mine that still lives up to this day.

• Apr 26, 2019

Magical with a touch of gritty, I loved it!!

Magical with a touch of gritty, I loved it!!

• Apr 18, 2019

One of my favourite Disney live action films. I love the cast, the story, the effects, the humour, the mystery. I think the legend of the book and where the spells come from just gives you chills it's so epic.

• Feb 10, 2019

People seem to be too harsh on Bedknobs and Broomsticks as they tend to compare it Mary Poppins, a bias standpoint with some people in my opinion. While some people do criticize it as it is in all fairness, there are people like me who look beneath to find the true masterpiece of a film that truly deserves that name. And while it's not as good as Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks is a masterpiece in its own right. The film was originally going to have Julie Andrews play the part of Miss Price, but they turned out to get Angela Lansbury to play the part. A great choice because then it would make it seem like the director, Robert Stevenson, would be deliberately trying to take elements from his work on Mary Poppins. Besides using David Tomlinson once again, the first truly is its own thing, and it works well. One of the best parts of the film is the partnership between Angela Lansbury and David Tomlinson as Miss Price and Emelius Brown. Not only do they do a fantastic job as these roles, but their connection is so strong in the film without having to spend so much time on it. It's a convincing duo of characters. I have to be honest too in that I really enjoy this story. While it can be corny with the war aspect, it works great given that the actors do a great job acting with personality that corresponds to the second World War. I was practically wrapped up with its storytelling, and it is near flawless. The live action and animation sequences are easily the best parts of the film. Like Song of the South and Mary Poppins, the mixing of these two aspects look wonderful together. The song writers are the Sherman brothers, once again, and they reach their peak of great song writing because they are some great tunes. My person favorite being the Beautiful Briny Sea song when the characters are in the ocean surrounded by a variety of sea creatures. I still find myself humming it to this day, and what's strange is the fact that I feel it's much catchier than any of the songs in Mary Poppins(though none top the Feed the Birds song). The song was originally written for Mary Poppins, and that's the best way to recognize that these songs were written by the same people who wrote the songs for that film. I also love the Portobello Road sequence and song, it's throroughly delightful to watch the people dance in many different ways, and the song itself has such a rhythmic beat to it. I especially love the character animation on the animals when Mr. Brown volunteers as a referee for a soccer game. The way the animals interact with each other to win the game is such a treat to watch as the slapstick is so creative. I really liked that one little detail with the vultures being the first aid assistance as vultures are scavengers, waiting to find something dead to eat. What's even more clever than that includes some of the small animal interactions of the opposing animal teams involving a hippo sitting on the crocodile's tail or the "lion king" smacking the laughing hyena out of embarrassment. These are animals that do interact in real life, and I admire how they did that. Like I said, I love the character animation, and I praise Milt Kahl's work on the lion. That end climax sequence, while being a bit of a silly idea, is executed great. I love the way they sing the spell "treguna mekoides trecorum satis dee". Speaking of which, I really admire the Sherman brother's writing of some of these crazy, in a good way, expressions. The words to the witch spells are some of the most creative expressions you will ever hear. The film also has a good sense of humor including times where the characters would be turned into a white rabbit. It's also very humorous to see the lion turned into a cartoon rabbit himself. I also really do feel a connection between the 5 main characters, I believe after what they went through in the film. My biggest nitpicks for the film come in two things: the cat and the 3 kids. The cat I feel may have a bit too much screentime, either that or, strangely enough, it could have been more fun if he was animated. Somehow having an animated cat possibly turned into one by Miss Price would've been more humorous to work with. The acting of the three children is kind of a hit and miss. While Carrie does a good job with really getting into the picture(sometimes even too good at times), Charlie at times makes a good delivery but sometimes misses it, and they could've used a better kid for Paul. Nothing against Roy Snart as he does make him sound enthusiastic, it just doesn't come across as a good performance to me. I'd also like to admire that the film does have one emotional moment that wouldn't make you cry, but it does show genuine emotions in the acting to where the Carrie even sheds a tear. She legitimately looks heart broken where Mr. Brown has to leave, and I congratulate the actress for that. It hurts me knowing that Bedknobs and Broomsticks bombed on its initial release, and that it opened up to mixed reviews from critics. While it may raise some eyebrows on people for its way of handling Nazis, it's relatively harmless as the film has such strong connections between the two main characters and has a great story with some lively visuals and songs. It is a forgotten and underrated treasure.

• Feb 07, 2019

Definitely one of my favourite movies! I got the disc for Christmas when I was about 6 years old, and Iâ(TM)ve watched it countless times. The music is incredible from the standpoint of an average watcher, and from someone who is big on musical theatre. Everything is fun and bouncy, even when itâ(TM)s serious. And you also have to look at it with a historical perspective. It was made in 1971, which means the effects will match the time, and what they were trying to pull off. Iâ(TM)ve watched the special features of how they made the movie, and I think they did very well. I see no reason to accuse it of being a Mary Poppins ripoff, even though you canâ(TM)t make a rip-off of your own movie..