Better Luck Tomorrow Reviews

• Apr 25, 2020

They really did a lot for the budget they had for this. The way they handled end of the movie was refreshingly disturbing and the rest of the plot was at least somewhat intriguing. I think the movie would've stood better on its own than it did after reading excerpts from interviews with the director where he gave fairly one-dimensional reasons for directorial choices that he made. Seeing a young Cho was neat, but I wish given the retroactive importance placed on the movie that Han had played a larger role.

• Apr 06, 2020

Before going "Fast & Furious", director Justin Lin unexpectedly contributed a calmer though grittier lifestyle when it's not all about fast cars in response to the original 2001 starter before debuting his authorship in 2006 as a follow-up to this pessimistically thoughtful and nonsensically irrational coming-of-age crime drama of minimal engagement. (B)

• Jun 16, 2018

The ensemble cast works well together in Justin Lin's take at a high school dramedy.

• Dec 23, 2016

I have a DVD copy of this and got it when it first came out but haven't watched it in more than a decade and forgot how interesting and entertaining this film was. A little rough and amateurish at times, but some very well done, sleek, and strong scenes with good performances overall by most of the cast.

• Nov 19, 2016

Average film. Not one I would want to watch again

Average film. Not one I would want to watch again

• Jun 08, 2016

Decent indie film about a group of overachieving Asian high school students who in their free time commit crimes, starting with simple cons to make money and eventually escalating into drugs and harder crimes. It is a well directed feature from Justin Lin, this being only his second, and it showcases that he had a lot of talent to make a movie that moves and feels different and fresh (even more than a decade after it came out).

• Nov 15, 2015

Great movie. The first half of the film is very frustrating due to its clichà (C)d story and typical MTV-Films style. But the second half is redeemed by great character development, devastating plot progression, and great performances from the cast, especially Shen, Tobin and Kang.

• Jun 14, 2015

An Asian-American middle class Boyz in the Hood....pretty gritty a well crafted.

• Apr 17, 2014

Nicely done, a clever coming of age drama....

Nicely done, a clever coming of age drama....

KJ P Super Reviewer
    Mar 22, 2014

This was Justin Lin's first time directing a feature alone, and I must say, "Better Luck Tomorrow" has some of the most genius camerawork and editing techniques that I have seen in a long time. As we follow Ben and his friends as they are nearing the end of high school, they are succumbed to the evil underground dealing and stealing. With just the right amount of characterization, the cast in this film pull off performances that feel more real than anything. Sung Kang plays the role of Han (one of Ben's friends), and it is obvious that Justin Lin planned to bring his character (with a few tweaks mind you) into the "Fas & Furious" franchise. Hard decisions are made by the characters throughout the film and the tone will make you feel sick to your stomach at times, but it will all be worth it. This is probably one of the best independent films of the 2000's for sure. I loved it!