Svinalšngorna (Beyond) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Svinalšngorna (Beyond) Reviews

April 21, 2016
First, the obligatory Ole Rapace mmmmmmmmmm. Then, the film is full of miserable finns in sweden in the 70s, unhappy, drinking, beating the wife, throwing up, fighting, traumatizing the children. And flashbacks during adulthood. This story is so well known, and yet every time equally sad. Thirdly, mmmmmmmm :) The rest of the cast is also fine, but....
March 30, 2016
Chi lo sapeva che c'era anche l'emigrazione finlandese verso la Svezia? Con tutti gli annessi e connessi...
November 21, 2015
A poignant, tragic drama that explores the psychological consequences of a turbulent childhood marked by alcoholism - and it is incredibly sad to see good people allowing it to destroy the harmony in their family, causing such a profound emotional damage to all their lives.
½ September 13, 2013
Depressing. The way the story was told was beautiful. This is also the first film of Noomi Rapace I've seen. She's a great actor!
April 12, 2013
What I felt?
It is a Director?s film. The past getting juxtaposed with the present was awesome. I tell you there is no gap. The past slides into the present and vice-versa. No flash-back ?spirals?. And these actors know how to cry silently. Remember Shabana Azmi or a Smitha Patil. (Two Indian actresses with international credentials) The cry quietly, yet grippingly. Countless memorable scenes. One example: The protagonist is driving the car like mad and almost bumps into an approaching car. Know what! She stops the car abruptly, which has her husband and two children, in the middle of an adjoining forest and starts running among the trees. Fear grips the audience (at least me!). And the attendant silence adds to all this ?drama?. No clichťs here. But that is their hallmark. Contrast this with a Directors film made here (need I mention his name) where every frame will bear reference to his ?directorial touches?. There were no such ?touches? in this film, yet the director spoke out. That is integrity for you. I was so moved by this film that a silence gripped me at the end of it. I had to perforce break it with a cup of hot milk, hot-chennai-weather notwithstanding. (From Chennai, South India)
½ September 2, 2012
Takes time to dig its hooks in, but truthful writing and great performances (especially Rapace) lead to heartbreaking conclusion.
½ August 26, 2012
I have seen this film before lately. Twice the last coulpe of years actually. It's been wrapped in slightly other circumstances, with other actors, and other titles. The Norwegian movie "Engelen", and the (also Swedish) film "I skuggan av varmen". This won't make this film lesser viewable, just slightly less unique. - I guess none of them are anyhow. I like them all - a lot actually. Right now "Svinalšngorna" is the one I feel the most. I guess I'm weak for movies including abused children caused by alcohol and drugs. How will they cope with it later in life? This film has great acting - the actors playing the young and the old Leena both does fantastic jobs. I sat there and felt their pain - I was in a mode of physical pain throughout the whole film session. It's not perfect, but it's very, very good. It made me depressed - something that I want from this kind of movies. This is powerful stuff indeed, heart breaking to be honest.
August 12, 2012
This is a perfect drama about alcolism and a painful childhood. Noomi Rapace is so powerful and great in her role. Also Tehilla Blad who plays Noomi as a child is just marvelous. Actually all actors ( there are just a few in the whole movie ) were amazing. In fact it's a beautiful film in such a sad way.
½ July 30, 2012
No-one does 'damaged' as well as Noomi Rapace and here (as the young mother whose memories of her dysfunctional childhood are triggered by a visit to the death bed of her estranged alcoholic mother), she encapsulates all the inner rage and vulnerability of a woman haunted by her past. Against bleak, de-saturated colours and on bland, autumnal locations (well, it is Swedish), director August convincingly depicts the harrowing and tragic events of her teenage years via unobtrusive flash-backs leaving Rapace's exquisitely tortured visage to do the rest (albeit aided by an exemplary supporting cast). Uncomfortable and unsettling, Beyond explores the lives of children faced with daily neglect without pointing fingers or enforcing underclass stereotypes, sympathetically portraying the family's emotional bond while documenting the abuse that tears them apart. It it all sounds too depressing, don't be put off: Beyond is a sensitive and powerful portrait of guilt and redemption and deserves to be seen by a much wider audience. Very good.
June 24, 2012
Tragic and touching drama about a woman who has to face her past when her dying mother reaches out. Shows what reality is in many homes cursed with a alcoholistic parent(s). Rapace and the Finnish duo of Virtanen and Mšenpšš shine in this quality Scandinavian film. Not for those who can't handle their share of tragedies shown in brutal honesty.
June 8, 2012
Odraz od nasilnog, ocevim alkoholizmom razorenog djetinjstva, dizanje brane sto zaustavlja proslost da ne izgriza put zivota i onda pucanje iste u majcine zadnje sate. Pred kraj, nuklearni reaktor izvedbi i emocija.
williamhunt2
March 30, 2012
worth watching for the very strong acting performance by Noomi Rapace.
½ March 1, 2012
Since I read the book (which even more painful to read), I knew what the film would be about. Even if many details were missed and some faults, itīs definitely worth to see. Pernilla August does an excellent job as the director and both Noomi Rapace and Ola is great performers. Just be prepared on a hard film to watch which will also follow you for days afterwards...
November 17, 2011
Do love means that you have to accept your family, no matter what they do, no matter what they do to themselves, and to you, always and forever?
November 8, 2011
Tämä oli hyvin ennalta-arvattava, tylsä ja masentava leffa ettei tuonut mitään uutta siltä rintamalta.... näyttelijät muutoin varmaan ihan pystinsä ansainneet.
November 5, 2011
...when we experience bad things in our lives, our natural instinct seems to be to distance ourselves from them. We do our best not to dwell on them. We move on, hoping that if we just ignore them they will fade away. Often, this works. Or?

Very good visual narrative storytelling making the film a tense and strong voyage - it is a film well worth seeing!
October 29, 2011
Julma, realistinen kuvaus alkoholisoituneen perheen kuvaus lasten silmien katsottuna. Elokuvan jälkeen on todella tyhjä olo.
Näytteljät on kauttaaltaan laadukkaita, suomalaiset Virtanen sekä Mäenpää ovat todella hyviä alkoholisoituneina perheen vanhempina. Rapace ei turhaan ole tekemässä isompaa läpimurtoa ollen tässäkin todella hyvä.
August 26, 2011
Tragic story about an alcholic family and the effects to the children.
But in the end, a mother is a mother (sort of).
½ August 2, 2011
While the movie is powerful and well acted by by everyone concerned, it is definitely not a film to be enjoyed. On second viewing, I had enough. It does show very well the effects of confronting an abusive past and the damaging effects of alcohol and it's emotional scars that potentially move from generation to generation. What comes from the main character (solid performance from Noomi Rapace) is the understanding of her mothers actions which she had never forgiven her for and spent so long bottling up emotionally.
Other than the film being generally unpleasant viewing, I fouind it quite rushed too, with a few important details left unexplained.
½ July 23, 2011
Interesante película donde el drama del alcohol destruye la familia y a sus integrantes, basada en un libro y en la à (C)poca de los 70, se puede ver