The Big Bus Reviews

• Apr 12, 2019

Never quite as funny as it thinks it is, with the jokes coming too slowly and too self-consciously, rarely rising in absurdity above the level of a screwball improv sketch, devolving into outright punches rather than punchlines, and the actors vacillating between playing each scene straight or with a slight wink.

• Apr 16, 2018

Fun disaster-film parody that pre-dates Airplane. Great cast, great gags, great lines. STill holds up

• Oct 08, 2017

If it wasn't for Life of Brian, this would be my #1 comedy film. Eminently quotable. From the top of my head: "But you're a Doctor" "Yes, and I intend to keep it that way." "Watch it he's got a broken milk carton." "Eat one lousy foot and they call you a cannibal. What a world." "Six Months to live, that's all you have now..." "I know it looked like I fell but it was all part of my plan." It has a great cast, hamming it up to the nines. Still makes me giggle.

• Aug 21, 2017

It's now over forty years old, and few people will have heard of this (mostly) very funny precursor to Airplane! James Crawley encourages his cast to play it very fast and straight, which is why this stupid story of a nuclear-powered bus with a bomb on board is such a hoot. It loses focus at the halfway point, but just hearing Joseph Bologna scream that he never ate 110 passengers, "I only ate a foot!" is why it's still a gem.

• Oct 30, 2015

Amazing production values and effects aside, 'Big Bus' feels less like a spoof than just another sub par disaster flick with a joke thrown in here and there. Flat characters do nothing to support thin, uninventive gags that feel shoehorned rather than woven into a nutty tapestry, like Brooks' spoofs.

• Oct 07, 2014

Um ônibus biarticulado de dois andares movido a energia nuclear promete atravessar os Estados Unidos sem fazer paradas. Uma comédia divertida sobre as promessas tecnológicas.

• May 18, 2014

D.C. must have been the one city this very funny but sloppy film was popular in. I saw it quite a few times in packed houses and remember being really surprised to learn that it flopped like a big old dog on the front porch everywhere else. The terrific cast helps a lot.

• Dec 07, 2013

A film that satirizes the genre of disaster films.

A film that satirizes the genre of disaster films.

• Jan 22, 2013

Somewhat dated but remains one of a kind.

Somewhat dated but remains one of a kind.

• Sep 29, 2012

A nuclear powered bus is going Non-stop from New York to Denver and is plagued by disasters due to the machinations of a mysterious group allied with the Oil lobby. When the driver is injured a washed up, down on his luck, but used to be great type, who as it happens, used to be engaged to the inventor's daughter is brought in to drive the giant bus which includes a one lane swimming pool and a one lane bowling alley. stars Joseph Bologna, Stockard Channing, John Beck, Rene Auberjonois, Ruth Gordon, Ned Beatty, Bob Dishy Jose Ferrer and Harold Gould. directed by James Frawley.