Blow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blow Reviews

May 20, 2017
Blow is a well-crafted biopic/crime drama but doesn't do enough to separate itself from the crowd. Depp is a solid lead, while Cruz shares some of the spotlight. But, a slow moving story, continued focus on the parental relationship (including bad makeup on the mom), and more keep it from achieving its goals.
April 11, 2017
In this semi-biographical tale of drug dealer George Jung (Depp), "Blow" gives audiences a melodramatic look at the highs and lows of being involved in drug smuggling and selling with little originality. And while the family angle is a little too sentimental, Johnny Depp's performance is quite good.
½ April 11, 2017
Actually enjoyed this one. Johnny Depp was great and this drug movie lives up to the majority of them in my opinion. Great supporting cast as well and intriguing story and movie.
½ April 10, 2017
A drugged up biopic that was too heavy for my preference. I didn't find anything special about it and lost interest quickly. (First and only viewing - Spring 2008)
½ February 23, 2017
Blow is one of those gangster/drug trafficking films that tend to come out on a semi regular basis that seem to fall victim to classic films in the genre in terms of ripping off parts that are iconic and doing a mediocre job of making it there own or at least suffer from being pedestrian on themselves. In this case, Blow looks towards the iconic Goodfellas and Scarface, robbed them of some of the soundtrack, camera moves, swearing, narration and Ray Liotta in an attempt to focus on the life of George June played by Johnny Depp and his attempt to find fame and stability within the drug world with incredible highs and disappointing lows. Because of the lack of reinvention, the film just hits all the notes you would expect in a film like this and surround Johnny Depp with a decent supporting cast at the time including Penelope Cruz, Rachel Griffiths and the aforementioned Ray Liotta but alas, the film lacks a certain electricity to make it fresh. Not that I am surprised but disappointing.
January 17, 2017
Pretty good, interesting biopic.
½ October 30, 2016
"Blow" is a very interesting movie full of FANTASTIC PERFORMANCES from everyone, especially Johnny Depp who puts in one of the best performances of his entire career. While yes it does get a bit sentimental near the end, it's not all too glaring or distracting. In fact, the one thing in this movie I actually DID find distracting was Ray Liotta's silver hair as he gets older, I don't know why that caught my attention so well, but it did. All of the supporting actors/actresses did great jobs with their roles and performances (standouts being Paul Reubens as Derek , and Jordi Molla as Diego) all of which came together to basically carry the movie along whenever it starts to struggle. Also, it was kinda cool seeing Emma Roberts when she was just starting her career as an actor; everyone's gotta start somewhere kid.
October 2, 2016
10/10 the true story of George jung. America's biggest coke mule. jonny Depp is amazing.
September 1, 2016
Man, I want to see this so bad!
August 26, 2016
Love this movie about a real drug dealer and the life he had before and after the drug. Love the movie, Jonny Depp is great he portrays the real smuggler very well!
August 24, 2016
Blow is an excellent absorbing crime drama with a good cast. Depp is good, but his smaller bit players like the actress who plays his Mom or Diego or Paul Reubens are very memorable too. The movie paints the crime smuggler in a sympathetic light, which may ring false to some but ultimately its a well acted drama with a talented cast. Cliff Curtis and Emma Roberts were good too.
July 18, 2016
Surprisingly powerful.
July 7, 2016
A far from spectacular but comfortably above-par biopic: never really fascinating and with emotional stakes not particularly high, but it will keep you guessing as to what will eventually happen right until the end. It is boosted considerably by a very good Johnny Depp, aided by Ray Liotta. On the other hand, Penelope Cruz and Rachel Griffiths are annoying to death. The final scene was handled in a wonderful manner, prioritizing not melodrama but words and images that speak to the heart.
½ June 27, 2016
One of my all time favorites.
½ June 26, 2016
So, in the end, was it worth it? Jesus Christ. How irreparably changed my life has become. It's always the last day of summer and I've left out in the cold with no door to get back in. I'll grant you, I've had more than my share of poignant moments. Life passes more people by while they're making grand plans for it. Throughout my life time, I've left pieces of my heart here and there. And now there's almost not enough to stay alive. But I force a smile.. knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door..
June 22, 2016
Based on the true story of George Jung, the man who established the American cocaine market in the 1970s. Pretty crazy to think this is a true story, but the drug trade is a helluva thing. Awesome, awesome movie. Despite what you think about Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, this is the best performance of his career to date. The script and feel of the film perfectly capture the chaos of being one of the "big whigs" in the drug trade. Right up there with Scarface in terms of "drug trade crime films." Do not miss this one.
May 23, 2016
89% Johnny Depp fits the role perfectly of an uneventful life as a drug dealer in this highly entertaining and emotional drama.
½ May 6, 2016
Man, this is some serious fuckup. The best thing I get out of this movie is, "if ambitions far exceeds your talent, you have a reason to smile" and "life passes most people by while they are making grand plans for it."
½ March 22, 2016
Entertaining crime flick based on the real life story of George Jung.