Blow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blow Reviews

March 9, 2018
A thoroughly decent film with some genuinely impressive moments, dragged down hard by overwrought, cliche dialogue, a weirdly hateful attitude toward women, and the simple fact that it's outclassed in this genre by a half a dozen other nearly identical films.
½ February 12, 2018
Peak Johnny Depp, and a well-executed story arch, albeit frustrating. I'm a sucker for the drug genre (see Narcos) and this is up to par.
January 3, 2018
Honestly one of my top 3 favorite movies. Makes you sympathize with a drug dealer in ways you cannot even imagine. Got me invested from the first scene. You will not regret this- brings out emotions you never though you even had!
December 3, 2017
It represents an interesting real life in a by the numbers biopic of excess.
September 30, 2017
Should be up there with Goodfellas..
September 24, 2017
penelope cruz johnny depp
September 4, 2017
One of Johnny Depp's best performances.
½ August 26, 2017
Pretty good semi-biographical movie. Johnny Depp continues to be the Chameleon of Hollywood.
July 28, 2017
Despite a strong performance from Depp, this movie is just a slow attempt to copy good based on a true story movies. It's slow and doesn't give you more than a small glimpse into George's life story.
June 9, 2017
A sad and very emotional true story about an American dream ... Nice made movie and great performances by Ray Liotta & Johnny Depp...
June 6, 2017
Good acting, story grows dull...
May 20, 2017
Blow is a well-crafted biopic/crime drama but doesn't do enough to separate itself from the crowd. Depp is a solid lead, while Cruz shares some of the spotlight. But, a slow moving story, continued focus on the parental relationship (including bad makeup on the mom), and more keep it from achieving its goals.
April 11, 2017
In this semi-biographical tale of drug dealer George Jung (Depp), "Blow" gives audiences a melodramatic look at the highs and lows of being involved in drug smuggling and selling with little originality. And while the family angle is a little too sentimental, Johnny Depp's performance is quite good.
½ April 11, 2017
Actually enjoyed this one. Johnny Depp was great and this drug movie lives up to the majority of them in my opinion. Great supporting cast as well and intriguing story and movie.
½ April 10, 2017
A drugged up biopic that was too heavy for my preference. I didn't find anything special about it and lost interest quickly. (First and only viewing - Spring 2008)
½ February 23, 2017
Blow is one of those gangster/drug trafficking films that tend to come out on a semi regular basis that seem to fall victim to classic films in the genre in terms of ripping off parts that are iconic and doing a mediocre job of making it there own or at least suffer from being pedestrian on themselves. In this case, Blow looks towards the iconic Goodfellas and Scarface, robbed them of some of the soundtrack, camera moves, swearing, narration and Ray Liotta in an attempt to focus on the life of George June played by Johnny Depp and his attempt to find fame and stability within the drug world with incredible highs and disappointing lows. Because of the lack of reinvention, the film just hits all the notes you would expect in a film like this and surround Johnny Depp with a decent supporting cast at the time including Penelope Cruz, Rachel Griffiths and the aforementioned Ray Liotta but alas, the film lacks a certain electricity to make it fresh. Not that I am surprised but disappointing.
January 17, 2017
Pretty good, interesting biopic.
½ October 30, 2016
"Blow" is a very interesting movie full of FANTASTIC PERFORMANCES from everyone, especially Johnny Depp who puts in one of the best performances of his entire career. While yes it does get a bit sentimental near the end, it's not all too glaring or distracting. In fact, the one thing in this movie I actually DID find distracting was Ray Liotta's silver hair as he gets older, I don't know why that caught my attention so well, but it did. All of the supporting actors/actresses did great jobs with their roles and performances (standouts being Paul Reubens as Derek , and Jordi Molla as Diego) all of which came together to basically carry the movie along whenever it starts to struggle. Also, it was kinda cool seeing Emma Roberts when she was just starting her career as an actor; everyone's gotta start somewhere kid.
October 2, 2016
10/10 the true story of George jung. America's biggest coke mule. jonny Depp is amazing.