Blow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blow Reviews

July 18, 2016
Surprisingly powerful.
July 7, 2016
A far from spectacular but comfortably above-par biopic: never really fascinating and with emotional stakes not particularly high, but it will keep you guessing as to what will eventually happen right until the end. It is boosted considerably by a very good Johnny Depp, aided by Ray Liotta. On the other hand, Penelope Cruz and Rachel Griffiths are annoying to death. The final scene was handled in a wonderful manner, prioritizing not melodrama but words and images that speak to the heart.
½ June 27, 2016
One of my all time favorites.
½ June 26, 2016
So, in the end, was it worth it? Jesus Christ. How irreparably changed my life has become. It's always the last day of summer and I've left out in the cold with no door to get back in. I'll grant you, I've had more than my share of poignant moments. Life passes more people by while they're making grand plans for it. Throughout my life time, I've left pieces of my heart here and there. And now there's almost not enough to stay alive. But I force a smile.. knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door..
June 22, 2016
Based on the true story of George Jung, the man who established the American cocaine market in the 1970s. Pretty crazy to think this is a true story, but the drug trade is a helluva thing. Awesome, awesome movie. Despite what you think about Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, this is the best performance of his career to date. The script and feel of the film perfectly capture the chaos of being one of the "big whigs" in the drug trade. Right up there with Scarface in terms of "drug trade crime films." Do not miss this one.
May 23, 2016
89% Johnny Depp fits the role perfectly of an uneventful life as a drug dealer in this highly entertaining and emotional drama.
½ May 6, 2016
Man, this is some serious fuckup. The best thing I get out of this movie is, "if ambitions far exceeds your talent, you have a reason to smile" and "life passes most people by while they are making grand plans for it."
½ March 22, 2016
Entertaining crime flick based on the real life story of George Jung.
March 21, 2016
Classic, pure and simple.
½ March 20, 2016
I felt like it was a great Scorsese film that was missing the director Martin Scorsese.
February 10, 2016
The old school reviews are mixed, at best. The critiques of some copycat filmmaking do look legit, however, it's well-done. And shot-styles are lifted all the time. It doesn't bother me generally, unless there's too much lifting. This one gets close to that line. The performances are pretty good. The story of Jung is fascinating and fairly well told.
January 6, 2016
Falls apart in the second half. Doesn't show his rise in the Cocaine world.
½ December 3, 2015
Non che il film abbia qualcosa che non va... č proprio la storia a non avermi presa pių di tanto!
September 19, 2015
One of my all time favorites.
August 29, 2015
This movie was some type of reward. I've got no interest in watching it.
½ August 25, 2015
8/22/15 I found this man's life to be an interesting story. It doesn't bother me that it may feel like other "gangster" movies.... if something works, why not use it? Yes, it may over- do the "poor old man" sentiment toward the end, but I did feel a bit sorry for him. I thought it was a fine way to wrap up this man's life. He got caught up in a life of crime and couldn't find a way out.
½ August 23, 2015
"Che tu possa avere sempre il vento in poppa, che il sole ti risplenda in viso e che il vento del destino ti porti in alto a danzare con le stelle."
½ July 19, 2015
You give and you take and take what you got
Round and round 'till it breaks and
You push and you pull and struggle with the knot
It's tying you up while you're fadin' into your lie -- Lyrics, "Push & Pull"
July 16, 2015
Based upon the book, 'Blow: How a Small-Town Boy Made $100 Million with the Medellin Cocaine Cartel and Lost it All' by Bruce Porter, BLOW is the story of George Jung who is currently serving a 15 year sentence. This is the true story of Jung who worked for reputed drug kingpin Carlos Escobar, and is accused of single-handedly importing cocaine into the USA in the 1970's. Jung's rise and fall coincides with the switch from pot to cocaine as the drug of choice among the rich and famous. - Johnny Depp, Peneloppe Cruz, Ray Liotta
½ July 8, 2015
This movie works primarily because a) it is based on a fascinating true story, and b) it is as simple as a movie about a druglord can get.

The performances are good but not great (although Penelope Cruz definitely does grate...pun intended). The cult following that this movie has garnered surprises me to be honest. It's definitely worth a watch, but that's about it