Boom Town Reviews

• Mar 02, 2016

Clark Gable has outstanding rapport both with Claudette Colbert, whom he was with in It Happened One Night, and Spencer Tracy, whom he had acted with before in the disaster flick San Francisco, in this fine film which would make an excellent double-bill with There Will Be Blood, for the price of being a prospector of black gold in early 20th-century America. Very enjoyable and thoroughly recommended.

• Mar 22, 2015

Okay story is elevated by a strong cast, although I'm still not a big Clark Gable fan. Gable and Spencer Tracy are a couple of cowboy/would be oilmen looking to strike it rich. There's also Claudette Colbert to add a love triangle to the plot and also Hedy Lamarr as a high powered big city businesswoman the two meet up with after they strike it rich and move to the big city. There's really nothing original about the ups and downs in the story, but cat makes the film entertaining enough, although I wish there was more Lamar in the film. I still wish that Lamar had appeared in better films. Her filmography seems littered with films like this, which featured major stars and quality behind the scenes talent, but were often of lower quality and none of which are considered classics, just like this film.

• Jul 27, 2014

just love to see Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert reunited on screen again :)

just love to see Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert reunited on screen again :)

• Feb 16, 2014

• Jul 05, 2013

Why should me and you have an argument? One of us may get hurt. Big John McMasters and Square John Sand are two aspiring oil men looking for a big investment. Neither of them know they are in love with the same girl. The two men strike it rich and Big John gets the girl, quickly ending their friendship and having the two men go in separate directions with their riches. John Sand invests his money well and turns his riches into more riches while John blows his money putting him and his wife in a bad spot. Will the two men reconcile their differences and work together to find riches again? "Rabbit stew again?" Jack Conway, director of Libeled Lady, A Tale of Two Cities, Viva Villa, Saratoga, One New York Night, The Girl from Missouri, and Just a Gigolo, delivers Boom Town. The storyline for this picture is fun to watch unfold. The character development is excellent and the script is well written. The cast delivers awesome performances and includes Spencer Tracy, Clarke Gable, Claudette Colbert, Lionell Atwill, and Frank Morgan. "You can always say you were a big man once." I am a huge Spencer Tracy fan. This is far from my favorite picture of his, but it is very good. His character is very dynamic and the chemistry between him and Gable throughout the film was perfect (both during the good times and bad). I strongly recommend seeing this picture! "What do people think I am, a good fairy?" Grade: B-

• May 13, 2013

I personally thought that this was an amazing Romantic and Adventurous film. This is now one of my favorite films that I've ever seen. It had a large list of very well known stars. It was set in a western and modern (for the 1940's) setting. It even had a couple of scandalous points. I really have never seen anything that has kept my attention so well throughout an entire film. I thought that the film was going to be boring because it looked like an old western (which I find cheesy and boring) but then I recognized the voices and noticed who the actors were and I was entranced immediately and I was absolutely amazed at how well I enjoyed it. It was kind of like a western but it ended up even better than that. It ended up as an adventure.

• Mar 15, 2013

not any of the stars involved best work but still enjoyable.

not any of the stars involved best work but still enjoyable.

• Dec 17, 2012

The powerhouse team of Gable & Tracy reunited. Excellent.

The powerhouse team of Gable & Tracy reunited. Excellent.

• Dec 04, 2012

Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy are oil men, searching for the big strike, and meet Frank Morgan, who makes a wizard of oz joke or two, and finances them. The woman in the triangle is Claudette Colbert, and the femme fatale is Hedy LaMarr.

• Dec 03, 2012

Good, if slightly overly long and slightly miscaset yarn about two oil barons who try to outdo each other, when they're not partnering up that is. Gable and Tracy are great together, and Claudette Colbert provides great fodder for the two to fight over. Not too sure about Hedy Lamarr though as the seductree who woos Gable away from Colbert though.