Bride and Prejudice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bride and Prejudice Reviews

½ July 17, 2017
Quite fun. Neat job of adapting P&P to the setting, and the scenarios. Hurrah for Bollywood dance scenes... =P
July 8, 2017
i loved this movie.Its the best bollywood film i've ever seen
April 28, 2017
Bride and Prejudice is a Bollywood film with lots of American aspects. The film centers around the Bakshi family, mainly the mother and her four daughters. All four daughters are searching for marriage while in India, London, and Los Angeles. The mother is searching for money while her children are searching for love. In all, it was a very intriguing film and introduced interesting aspects of Bollywood while still understandable for a regular Hollywood-viewer.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Bollywood aspects of this movie. The breakout in song adds a fun, amusing aspect/break to the film, especially when songs are used to portray falling in love instead of an American make-out scene. Though there was a song 'No Life Without Wife' that felt out of place as if it came out of an American musical. Its simple American choreography and regular-pitched singing was nothing compared to the Indian group numbers of beautiful garbs and foreign dancing paired with high-pitched female vocals. Though I have never seen a true Bollywood movie, 'Bride and Prejudice' seems as dramatic as any Bollywood film, but not as simple as a usual Bollywood plot. There were lots of different characters getting married, falling in love, getting mad...it was quite complex! In addition to the Indian and American aspects, there were accents of Mexican and African culture with the Mariachi band and Gospel choir. Overall, the movie provides a great mix of both Hollywood and Bollywood.

I learned about how important it is to the Indian culture to get married--even if it means the couple isn't in love yet. They are very traditional. Also, the movie showed how Indian couples do not display affection in public at all. Even at one of the daughter's wedding, the groom kissed the hand of the bride instead of the lips. The movie didn't show any kissing either which is strange to a Hollywood fan who usually witnesses multiple kissing scenes in a single movie. When it comes to marriage, Indians are more practical; they want a man who can financially support their daughter. Women usually don't work so they are very concerned about finding a suitor to support them or else they will end up poor and living with their parents forever! That is why the mother in the film is so concerned for her daughters to get engaged. Love is not a huge aspect for this Indian mother who wishes to arrange her children's marriages; however, the daughters feel differently. They are more focused on a pleasant man who enjoys their company, not just their looks. Fortunately, they just so happened to be rich, too. The director focused on these customs mainly and failed to mention their religious practices. The director succeeded in displaying the customs at Indian weddings that provides a huge celebration for the whole town. Also, the Indian outfits were accurately presented at these occasions. Overall, the movie gives amateur viewers a taste of Bollywood, but in a shorter time span, leaving them wanting more.
Bride and Prejudice Film Review

Bride and Prejudice was a movie that kept me entertained, but if you are watching this movie for the purpose to see a Bollywood film, it's not a great one to start with. The movie was about a family with four girls who are in need of a husband. The mother who is very adamant that her daughters get married and is very anxious that marriage will not happen. Through many ups and downs with many different men, her daughters end up finding the perfect match. I thought the movie was good, but I wouldn't watch it again. I felt it was very expected like many love films I have seen before.
As a person who has not experienced Bollywood films, I felt the movie was majority a Western film with Indian inspiration. For example, I learned that that Bollywood films incorporate the song pieces out of nowhere. Meaning, they don't necessarily make sense with what is going on in the scene at that moment. The majority of the song and dance pieces flowed well into the script like I was watching a musical. At the party scenes the actors would be talking and when they finished their conversation, they went into the traditional indian dances that made sense in the storyline. Just like a musical expect Indian dances. There was another scene where all the sisters were in the bedroom. They started talking, then went into singing and "american" dancing. I reminded me of a scene from Greese. I also learned that Bollywood films usually use "Masala" film making when filming. Meaning, they to combine a mixture of comedy, romance, action, and drama into one film. They do this to appeal to a wide range of ages so the whole family can watch. In Bride and Prejudice the film is mostly a romance production. The movie revolved around four love stories.
In terms of culture aspects I learned many things. Since Bride and Prejudice revolved around "dating" and marriage, I learned many traditional customs of what that process looks like in India. I learned that kissing on the lips is not accepted in dating, nor is it shown in the making of Bollywood films. The director did a great job at depicting this when Lalita and Darcy were dating. Darcy did kiss Lalita on the forehead, but never on the lips I also learned that sex scenes are strictly profound. The only time I felt the true Bollywood feel was when Darcy and Lalita were getting more serious. The director depicted this by the couple traveling to many places right after each other. Culturally, I also learned the importance of women finding the right man. In many scenes, the mother was anxious or worried that her daughters were starting a family. She wanted to be a grandmother, but you could tell that getting married is one of the most important moments in life for these women.
April 28, 2017
You can find this film pretty easy. It's very easy to understand if you pay attention to the whole entire
movie. It's very easy to understand that you could go to the bathroom and come back and basically you
didn't miss anything. In this movie there isn't any action scenes, but if you want to explore new culture
then this is good, because there are things/dances I had never seen before that are interesting. The song
where find but I think some of the dances where a little bit like Hollywood and they tried to had that they
failed like no other. I honestly just like the cultural dances out of the whole movie. I think this movie is
80% Bollywood and 20% Hollywood because the plot and the American actors where Hollywood but the
scenery was all Bollywood. Not only that the food, house, clothing, dances, family, climax and the ending
was definitely Bollywood. If you want to get into Bollywood movie then this movie would be good. I will
admit it's an ok movie but it's very predictable. There are three couples, one hard to get, another one for
the money and kindness, and finally the other is for love they already found. The first couple on the list
was just trying to find someone smart, handsome, like a gentleman, respect her, and to be perfect. The
second couple was doing it for money at first but then she realized that she was falling in love with his
kindness. The last couple had already found love but the guy's best friend told him that she is not the
woman for you. Very romantic ideas is going to dinner or a walk on the beach. Something more practical
approach is asking someone's hand without getting to know her. I think the director is trying to say that
cross cultural relationships are good because love can come from anywhere around the world. You just
have to keep your eyes open and heart to see it. Family is very important in this film especially in India.
They are telling us that no matter what they always stick together but that's not the case in America. They
are saying you can go your own way and not care about you if u make money. I think this movie gives a
good point that you shouldn't judge someone off the bat they could be something that you don't expect.
You should also get to know the person and their culture because if you don't then you are not open to
things that are interesting in this big world. So I think this is a great movie to watch if you are starting out
to watch Bollywood films and this is something for the whole family not just for adults.
½ April 11, 2017
So much fun. You cannot NOT have a good time while watching this film!
½ April 11, 2017
It's a good enough to watch movie but RT doesn't list the most beautiful actress in the movie(indeed she is heroine). She is Aishwarya Rai Bachchan.
½ April 11, 2017
Bollywood like - no movie can recover from that
½ April 11, 2017
ONLY 4.5/5 BC THEY DIDNT KISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ April 11, 2017
Bollywood does Jan Austen!! Worth watching just for the colours!!!
½ April 11, 2017
It's a cute little movie!!!
April 11, 2017
Punjabis adaptation of Pride and Prejudice with a lot of dancing seen commonly in movies from Bollywood.
½ April 11, 2017
There's a lot of impromptu dancing. Not remotely faithful, but somehow, I don't care. The characters aren't nearly as engaging as the real ones, though. All that said, and dumb political lines aside, still a worthwhile experience, for my first Bollywood film.
May 25, 2016
I'm not a huge fan of Bollywood films (I've seen quite a few, back in the late 90's they used to show them at about midnight on channel 4, I had insomnia back then and used to watch them as there was nothing else on) neither am I a big fan of Jane Austen but I gave it a go anyway. I didn't like it. Gurinder Chadha was a good director, Bhaji on the Beach was a brilliant British/Indian film but nowadays she seems more interested in making money by churning out soul-less crap like this. It's a complete mess. The editing is dodgy, the direction is shakey, there is no character development, the acting wooden (Martin Henderson is a cardboard cut-out) and no amount of bright colours can make up for that and for a musical the music was pretty poor too! Don't get me started on the stereotypes. Avoid.
December 7, 2014
One of my favorite flicks!
January 7, 2014
This was a very fun Austen adaptation. A couple of the musical numbers were ridiculous, but the overall story was great and worth suffering through a few bad songs.
November 21, 2013
About as good as you would expect an Indian musical Pride and Prejudice to be. Although there is some good background into the "Kitty"/Wickham story you don't get from the original story and other adaptations. There is definitely chemistry between Darcy and Lalita. One or two good songs. Was worth watching at least once.
November 10, 2013
It's a fun little picture, but that's about the only compliment I can give it.
October 29, 2013
funny bloopers at the end...lovely picture inspired in some of the most romantic british novel ever! colourful...delightful