Broken - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Broken Reviews

May 14, 2016
I couldn't stand Angelina Jolie until she started making movies instead of acting in them. This is an amazing story with the added bonus of it being true.
½ January 30, 2016
A solid indie, but I found it hard find a character or storyline to care about.
January 24, 2016
Good film until the ending which was absurd.
December 29, 2015
A lighter tone narrative for such a frustrating story. Abnormal but powerful.
½ September 8, 2015
Very gritty, I love how it ended. The Oswalds were protective of only each other and cared about no one else, but at the end it seems like the man repented for his actions, even though it was his daughter's/his fault that Rick turned out that way - and I love how they did that. Nothing he could do could ever really repent for the things he did to other people. Eloise Laurence is an AMAZING actor, she was so natural and I love the kids that play in gritty films like this, becausee more often than not they know how to act 'natural.' She's just amazing.
½ September 4, 2015
WHOAAAAA there's a movie that just takes you away on a journey of all kinds of mysterious emotions you never thought you could have imagined and when it's all done, you feel a better person cuz you know you are just that much more open to the world unknown. A MUST watch for movie lovers...not movie watchers...L.O.V.E.R.S!!!!!
August 28, 2015
I'm not really sure what led me to watch this film, on a chilly,rainy afternoon, nonetheless. Perhaps it was because I rate Tim Roth's performances; or because the lead character had Type I Diabetes, like my sister.

Whatever the reason, the story sucked me in and ate me up whole. It uncovered many bitterly sad revelations, which were merely commonplace. Perhaps the effectiveness stems from that commonplace reality. The idea that such tragedy could be taking place on Any Street in Any Town, sours upon the tongue and makes you cringe with realization.

Eloise Laurence, who plays the disparagingly nicknamed Skunk, is a great, little actress. She could definitely go far after such a serious casting as this. Tim Roth does a fine job, of course, but definitely does not carry the weight of the film on his shoulders.

I found it impossible to stop thinking back on this film for days, even though it would have been more pleasant to forget. It affects you; and yet you may not be prepared for that all consuming despair.
August 8, 2015
This was great; the story is dark and compelling and the visual is appealing. A young girl is going to end up in the hospital, possibly dying, but we don't know how. It builds dread but keeps things uncertain enough that it's unclear exactly how it's going to end. The ending doesn't feel quite right for the style of movie, but didn't change my overall opinion. There are a few scenes that make this, possibly, not safe for parents.
April 2, 2015
This film...this film! This is why I love cinema, this is why I love British movies, my word this caught me by surprise. I loved everything about this film, the performances, the intelligence of the story, the realism. Just bloody brilliant from beginning to end. The sort of film I loved so much I couldn't recommend it for fear I'd have to stop speaking to you if you didn't agree. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.
½ February 24, 2015
Gritty British drama partly inspired by Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird' but slightly let down by an unconvincing final act.
February 16, 2015
Very gripping and fabulous performances. Rufus creates an intense layered film that makes you laugh and really pulls your heart
½ February 12, 2015
This is like and intense episode of 'Brookside', with so much family strife happening to all in the same Cul-de-sac at the same time. That aside, if you get past the likelihood of this scenario there's some strong storylines and acting to be found in this film.
½ February 9, 2015
Good film, better book.
February 8, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....
January 8, 2015
Definitely recommend this Brit flick!
½ January 3, 2015
It's nice to see Tim Roth in an uncharacteristically synthetic role. The last half hour is somewhat confusing which almost spoils the whole story, but overall, I found it a positive experience. The main adolescent character was very well done and I hope she does well as an adult.
January 1, 2015
A rare beauty where every actor performs to their utmost.
Real chills for the last 20 mins, excellently directed and acted.
Heavy topics for portrayal, but well worth seeing if you're in the right frame of mind!
December 12, 2014
"Broken" was really good and sad.
December 9, 2014
I found this movie quite accidentally, while looking for a movie to stream on Netflix. I watched it from beginning to end, without pause. This is a great movie: the characterizations, the acting, the writing: all of it.
November 18, 2014
Broken simply can't get it together on any level, delivering a tedious drama, that for all the characters and over-emoting, doesn't have much to say. I say SKIP IT!!!