A Bronx Tale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Bronx Tale Reviews

December 8, 2017
Incredible movie directed by De Niro and written by Palminteri that I will never ever forget.
December 3, 2017
Movie night with Iris.

You can argue this is a Tesco Value version of Goodfellas. De Niro's direction is poor, but Palmiteri's script sizzles. It has a real charm, and the semi-autobiographical moral resonates.
December 3, 2017
Movie night with Iris.

You can argue this is a Tesco Value version of Goodfellas. De Niro's direction is poor but Palminteri's script sizzles. It has a real charm, and the semi-autobigraphical moral resonates.
½ November 29, 2017
The movie "Bronx Tale" is a mobster movie that was made in the 90's and you can tell that it was an older movie once it starts. The acting was great but there are a couple of scenes that were considered cheesy due to the technology back then. The picture and setting was good and the cast that the movie has are great because they fit for a good mobster movie. The movie also showed a little racism going on during the setting of the film to show the audience how the Italian perspective of racism.I enjoyed the movie but there were a couple of things that kind of bothered me that are in a lot of 90's movies. The unlimited or extended bullets on a gun and what I mean by that is the main boss would have a revolver and some how and some way, he would be able to shoot 15 to 20 bullets before reloading. Another thing was the acting of someone getting shot or tortured. I think some of the acting of those particular parts were a little too much meaning they over did it on the acting which is a common thing for 90's movies. I consider the movie to be great because the plot was good, the cast was great, it showed how normal lives were back then, and it showed some comedy to the audience.
August 20, 2017
Real storytelling, surrounded by beyond-excellent performances by actors.
½ August 19, 2017
(First and only viewing - 7/8/2017)
August 4, 2017
I absolutely love a good Italian gangster movie. I thought I'd seen them all until someone mentioned this movie. So I gave it a go. In fact, I watched it twice. But I must say, I was pretty disappointed. Not sure how this movie has such high ratings. What am I missing? It started out good but as the movie wore on, it got worse and worse. The acting was TERRIBLE, with the exception of De Niro, Palminteri, and young Capra. The sad thing was that this movie had SO much potential. A great storyline that was delivered badly.
½ July 18, 2017
i like this kind of story
July 10, 2017
Great acting, well-written, and well-directed by Robert De Niro. A very unique coming-of-age/gangster movie that is more heartfelt than most gangster movies.
July 7, 2017
Robert Deniro's masterpiece A Bronx Tale is my favorite New York based mob film, adapted from the play by Chaz Palminterri who stars as gangster Sonny. You will fear him..and love him. And never forget "the saddest thing in life is wasted talent". 5 stars
½ June 17, 2017
Well written, bad directing.
April 24, 2017
"A Bronx Tale" is a labour of love that is guided by De Niro's excellent direction debut.
De Niro wisely stays away from the main acting spotlight and lets the other actors, such as Chazz Palminteri and Lillo Brancato Jr./Francis Capra, shine bright as their colourful and likable characters.
In fact, the whole film is populated by colourful characters who have memorable things to say. They all live in a well-established depiction of The Bronx that is complete with a well-executed soundtrack. Lastly, they all play a part in telling a story that proudly walks the fine line between Comedy and Drama.
Before seeing this picture, I was afraid that it was going to be De Niro taking a stab at being a poor man's Martin Scorsese, but instead he has created a film that stands on its own two feet because it is marked by a unique identity that makes it stand out from countless other films that involve gangs/mafias.
March 19, 2017
De Niro's directorial debut is very clearly indebted to Scorsese even though it's based on a somewhat autobiographical play by co-star Chazz Palminteri, which is kind of one of it's main faults. The film plays so much like a minor imitation of "Goodfellas" that it's own voice gets lost in the process. De Niro is, not surprisingly, a pretty good Scorsese imitator, but it still feels very much like an imitation. Scenes that play out like Scorsese scenes are all just a little bit inferior ... the editing isn't up to Scorsese's standard or the music used is a bit too on the nose. Lillo Brancato was cast because of his remarkable physical similarity to De Niro (he plays his son), but he's frankly not much of an actor. He has a weird, uncomfortable physical presence and his delivery is a bit wooden ... a serious detriment when he delivers the film's "Goodfellas"-inspired narration (Ray Liotta is sorely missed). De Niro and Paliminteri are both excellent, but a lot of the other supporting roles, especially the actors playing kids, are frankly pretty terrible. An interesting film with compelling themes, but just not quite good enough to invite such obvious comparisons to a genius.
January 31, 2017
A Bronx Tale is just an all time classic movie. With an amazing story, great acting, and great work from Robert De Niro on and behind the camera, this movie succeeds in all it tries to and delivers a powerful, delightful, great movie.
January 22, 2017
A movie that has helped me in so many ways. A timeless coming of age gangster story that will live on forever. It taught me the saddest thing in life is waster talent. I love this movie.
November 15, 2016
Well-acted, well-written, and well-directed from Robert De Niro. A very unique coming-of-age/gangster movie that is more heartfelt than most gangster movies.
½ October 31, 2016
Wow, just wow! Truly enjoyed it.
October 30, 2016
Euuuuch. Good film but everyone around Sonny is so servile, it makes my skin crawl. This immovable respect for someone who is simply violent is something I just hate to watch. But the film is worth seeing and generally moves along at a good pace. Very easy to follow.
September 18, 2016
An old favourite that has been watched many times. Chas Palminteri's one man show turned film becomes a story of the working man v's the gangster and a boy who is lured into a world beyond his years. A Bronx tale is a staple for any good film collection
September 2, 2016
This just moved into my top 3 mob movies competing with Goodfellas at #1. Can't believe I've never seen it. What an amazing movie! The conflict and maturation in the character development was just fantastic.