A Bronx Tale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Bronx Tale Reviews

½ June 17, 2017
Well written, bad directing.
April 24, 2017
"A Bronx Tale" is a labour of love that is guided by De Niro's excellent direction debut.
De Niro wisely stays away from the main acting spotlight and lets the other actors, such as Chazz Palminteri and Lillo Brancato Jr./Francis Capra, shine bright as their colourful and likable characters.
In fact, the whole film is populated by colourful characters who have memorable things to say. They all live in a well-established depiction of The Bronx that is complete with a well-executed soundtrack. Lastly, they all play a part in telling a story that proudly walks the fine line between Comedy and Drama.
Before seeing this picture, I was afraid that it was going to be De Niro taking a stab at being a poor man's Martin Scorsese, but instead he has created a film that stands on its own two feet because it is marked by a unique identity that makes it stand out from countless other films that involve gangs/mafias.
March 19, 2017
De Niro's directorial debut is very clearly indebted to Scorsese even though it's based on a somewhat autobiographical play by co-star Chazz Palminteri, which is kind of one of it's main faults. The film plays so much like a minor imitation of "Goodfellas" that it's own voice gets lost in the process. De Niro is, not surprisingly, a pretty good Scorsese imitator, but it still feels very much like an imitation. Scenes that play out like Scorsese scenes are all just a little bit inferior ... the editing isn't up to Scorsese's standard or the music used is a bit too on the nose. Lillo Brancato was cast because of his remarkable physical similarity to De Niro (he plays his son), but he's frankly not much of an actor. He has a weird, uncomfortable physical presence and his delivery is a bit wooden ... a serious detriment when he delivers the film's "Goodfellas"-inspired narration (Ray Liotta is sorely missed). De Niro and Paliminteri are both excellent, but a lot of the other supporting roles, especially the actors playing kids, are frankly pretty terrible. An interesting film with compelling themes, but just not quite good enough to invite such obvious comparisons to a genius.
January 31, 2017
A Bronx Tale is just an all time classic movie. With an amazing story, great acting, and great work from Robert De Niro on and behind the camera, this movie succeeds in all it tries to and delivers a powerful, delightful, great movie.
January 22, 2017
A movie that has helped me in so many ways. A timeless coming of age gangster story that will live on forever. It taught me the saddest thing in life is waster talent. I love this movie.
November 15, 2016
Well-acted, well-written, and well-directed from Robert De Niro. A very unique coming-of-age/gangster movie that is more heartfelt than most gangster movies.
½ October 31, 2016
Wow, just wow! Truly enjoyed it.
October 30, 2016
Euuuuch. Good film but everyone around Sonny is so servile, it makes my skin crawl. This immovable respect for someone who is simply violent is something I just hate to watch. But the film is worth seeing and generally moves along at a good pace. Very easy to follow.
September 18, 2016
An old favourite that has been watched many times. Chas Palminteri's one man show turned film becomes a story of the working man v's the gangster and a boy who is lured into a world beyond his years. A Bronx tale is a staple for any good film collection
September 2, 2016
This just moved into my top 3 mob movies competing with Goodfellas at #1. Can't believe I've never seen it. What an amazing movie! The conflict and maturation in the character development was just fantastic.
½ June 6, 2016
Personally I freaking love this movie. It's relatable to me and probably some other. It's a fresh take on mob films, with a more emotional take. Another aspect is the two different view on the gangster life. It's a really solid coming to age me unlike any other. Robert De Niro debut as an director was phenomenal. Great camera shots, along with the lighting works tremendously, by showing both views of the Bronx by making the Bronx feel like it's own character. Good casting with great performances. Excellent movie in general.
½ May 27, 2016
Not only is it a great tale, but also a great film.
April 27, 2016
A decent movie by De Niro, with nice story.
Feels a bit dated and under-budgeted.
½ April 2, 2016
Really enjoyed the movie. Funny and awesome.
½ March 24, 2016
Incredible movie directed by De Niro and written by Palminteri that I will never ever forget.
February 9, 2016
All time favorite movie in my list. It's a classic in my collection. Wasted talent is the message in it and ironically and unfortunately in real life "C" wasted his.
January 23, 2016
Unfortunately, Robert De Niro is currently starring in what the critics are calling his worst film, DIRTY GRANDPA. I'm not planning on seeing that film. This weekend I watched in A BRONX TALE, which he directed, too. It's a really good film based upon the childhood of Colegero "Chazz" Palminteri, who wrote the screenplay and co-starred in the film as Sonny, while De Niro played Lorenzo. It is the story of Colegoro or "C" who becomes friends with the local mafia boss much to his father's dismay. It's an interesting relationship because Sonny the mob boss is a very complex character who really does care about C. Yet, he is also a bad influence. C's hard working bus driver father, Lorenzo, tries his best to raise C and keep him away from bad influences. It's quite good and watch this film rather than DIRTY GRANDPA.
October 14, 2015
I love everything about this movie from the cast to the sound track!
August 21, 2015
Stunning sets, de Niro and Chaz play great father figures. Everything I want to see in a mob movie and a coming of age movie
May 17, 2015
`The saddest thing in life is wasted talent.`
Brilliant pic!