Burden of Dreams Reviews

• Oct 28, 2018

A very interesting documentary, which shows the various incidents that occurred in the film "Fitzcarraldo". With an interesting theme and a fun story. Highly recommend.

• Aug 25, 2018

"i don't see the jungle so much as erotic. i see it more full of obscenity. it's just -- nature here is vile and base. i wouldn't see anything erotical here. it's just fornication and asphyxiation and choking and fighting for survival and growing and just rotting away. of course, there is a lot of misery. but it's the same misery that is all around us. the trees here are in misery, and the birds are in misery. i don't think they sing. they just screech in pain." also: "without dreams, we would be cows in a field, and i don't want to live like that."

• Jan 17, 2018

An entertaining, if not very affecting portrayal of the making of a difficult movie, Burden Of Dreams doesn't come close to the depth and intensity of Hearts Of Darkness. Werner Herzog, an acclaimed director and screenwriter, isn't pushed anywhere close to the edge of madness, being mostly irked about the increasingly difficult situation, and we get only 1 instance of Klaus Kinski raising his voice, never losing his famously volatile temper. It's not that I wanted any of this, I just expected it. Herzog never once appears noticeably angry, acting professional and courteous for the most part. It's interesting to see some of the filmmaking process, and how the cast and crew managed to avoid some tricky situations, including having to relocate the entire camp to escape increasingly hostile local tribes. Some of the best parts are just us watching the extras or main cast trying to do their stuff while various factors prevent them from doing so, but it never achieves anything on a visceral level. It's mildly diverting at best, and offers us a few glimpses into Herzog's mind, but not a whole lot more.

• Jan 17, 2017

Sometimes films have such a tumultuous production, the productions themselves become legendary. 2001, The Exorcist, Jaws, and the first Star Wars movie all come to mind. Fitzcarraldo is in that same league and this is the attempt to document it as it happens. Herzog has such a way of having his films have a dream or quirky feel to them, and either by design or not, this documentary takes that on. Though now a days it is probably most famous online for the memes it has sparked. But maybe that is just another burden of a man's dreams.

• Dec 24, 2014

Marginally more interesting and less frustrating than the film it documents

Marginally more interesting and less frustrating than the film it documents

• Sep 13, 2014

Never thought I'd see the day when Klaus Kinski was the voice of reason and Herzog was the insane one!

• Aug 05, 2014

It is a bizarre case I enjoy the documentary about the film more than the film itself, especially it is Herzog's FITZCARRALDO, an arduously passion project shot in Peruvian Amazon jungle with tremendous hardship (which took almost 5 years to complete), notoriously famous for its outlandish plot about hauling a gigantic steamboat through a small mountain, the egocentricity of its leading man Klaus, the strife between Klaus and rest of the team during the filming (which unfortunately bypassed in the accompanying documentary BURDEN OF DREAMS). continue reading my review on my blog here: http://wp.me/p1eXom-1vY

• Jul 06, 2014

The back story of FITZCARRALDO is almost as interesting and as great as the film itself.

• Jan 29, 2014

Watched this without seeing Fitcarraldo first. Even still it was interesting, but I would have probably enjoyed this more if I knew the reference material.

• Nov 05, 2013

In some ways this is more entertaining than the film itself. The lack of Kinski is disappointing, though we did get a lot of that in "My Best Fiend".