Caddyshack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Caddyshack Reviews

June 4, 2015
Kinda silly. Just okay. I was more invested in the realistic plot with the worldly cad and his ambitious caddy, played by suave Chevy Chase and earnest Michael O'Keefe, respectively, and not so much Bill Murray's garbled gopher-hunting.
½ October 1, 2010
Thirty-five years after it's original release, these comedians are pretty much in the gutter as far as comedies go. Sure, they may have popped up in the odd film to give a solid dramatic performance, or cameo in a comedy, but the real magic from seeing these actors on-screen just is not the same anymore. This timeless classic comedy may have some really hard hitting jokes, but I definitely do not believe it to be any one of these cast members' best films. What "Caddyshack" really is, is a showcase for these talented comedies to show the very best of what they can bring to Hollywood, however, this is a picture that is very thing in story and meatier in the gag department. Elements that are set up in the first act never really pay off, the jokes do wear thin by the end, and the conclusion is just a quick cap on the script once all the funniest bits were told. Honestly, I laughed very hard throughout this film, but there was a huge story somewhere inside that was not fully explored, and I was hoping for more. Sure, this film will always stand the test of time as one of the classic 80's comedies, but it is definitely not one of the best. I had an absolute blast watching this film and I highly recommend it to the slim number of people who have not seen it. "Caddyshack" is very good at what it does.
½ June 14, 2006
Shocking considering all the talent involved, but this comedy from the early 80s is barely watchable for the first time today. Maybe you had to be there, but then again other gem from that era have aged really well. Juvenile humor of the most embarrassing kind.
July 27, 2013
A caddy pursues one of his clients for a scholarship amidst the backdrop of several other colorful characters.
As a series of sketches, this film is whimsical and occasionally fun. The only moments of "sophisticated" comedy come from the class depictions with the rich portrayed as stuffy and mean-spirited and the poor portrayed as fun-loving and sexual but constantly looking through the plate glass window, hoping to trade places. However, as a film - a consistent, conflict- or character-driven story - Caddyshack doesn't hold together. Each of the stars get to do his bit, and in the end the film seems like a series of bits haphazardly edited together.
Overall, Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Murray, and Chevy Chase may have comedic talent, but this film only works in the actors' individual sound bytes.
½ June 20, 2012
I really do envy people who were alive when this movie was made. In 1980, when people were called funny, they really were funny. Nowadays, the people considered funny aren't really funny at all. (Seth Mcfarlane, Will Ferrel.) Caddyshack has a big cast of people who can genuinely make people laugh. They all play memorable characters and are given some of the funniest dialogue. If I were to make a list of top 10 most quotable movies, Caddyshack would easily make the list. My personal favorite performance is Rodney Dangerfield as Al Czervik. Everything he says and does just makes me laugh. (He also has the world's coolest golf club bag.) The rest of the cast also do a stellar job in their roles. Chevy Chase has always been a funny guy and he definately is in this movie, Ted Knight does a really good job of the judge who gets aggravated really easily and Bill Murray provides some of the most memorable scenes in the movie. His subplot with the gophers is just classic. My favorite scene in the movie is the pool scene. It's a plethora of just teen caddys going apeshit all over the place. Caddyshack took the world's most boring sport (Golf) and made what could've been a tedious movie into a classic that will be remembered as one of the funniest comedies ever made.
Directors Cat
½ November 10, 2011
Despite the fact that there was a lot of freedom for the film makers to do whatever they wanted to do in production it's still a hilarious comedy classic that's faster paced than even the likes of Airplane! and deserves its reputation for being quotable. The cast bring their extremely memorable characters to life fantasticallly and young Bill Murray is very fun to watch when he's trying to kill the golf course's gopher. Ultimately, Caddyshack is a hilarious classic comedy and one of the few slapstick movies that are so stupid that you actually manage to laugh with it.
½ November 20, 2011
Way overrated by comedy fans in my opinion. I do love the scene of Bill Murray and Chevy Chase smoking pot though.
½ June 25, 2011
What fool didn't laugh at this. Its the misadventures of idiots at a golf country club. Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfiekd, Bill Murray, and Ted Knight all make you laugh and are great comedians. These jokes are so ridiculously stupid, and you feel good for laughing at them because they are a smart kind of stupid. Caddyshack is a 80's classic, I love this film.
April 22, 2007
Really fun 80's comedy classic. I can't list highlights because there are just too many...but if I had to, it would be the scene between Bill Murray and Chevy Chase. Not a particularly noteworthy part of the film (it was added as an afterthought and had nothing to do with the main plot), but it's the only time (that I'm aware of) that Bill and Chevy ever had a scene in a movie together. Apparently those two didn't get along at SNL, so they didn't movies together. Anyways, that off-subject, but I like breaking this one out on occasion for some good easy laughs. :D
September 6, 2010
Just when you thought golf was the most boring sport on the face of the Earth, this movie makes it fun for everyone who loves comedy. It stars a bunch of funny guys, and the story is funny too. I really like this movie, it's a classic 80s comedy.
July 29, 2010
½ July 21, 2010
Caddyshack is one of the funniest films of the 1980's. With a cast including some of the funniest comedians of the business, how can you go wrong? Caddyshack is definitely THE 80's comedy to watch. it's stupid and dimwitted. Thats what makes this film a must see and it's also what makes this film what it is. The humour is crude and vulgar. Hell, I guess you can it's over the top, and thats what you have here, Caddyshack is a well made crude comedy with plenty of laughs. This is a terrific film not to miss.
½ August 15, 2009
Another great from the year I was born. "Caddyshack" is definitely a comedy classic of the ages. It teams up three of the best comedy actors of all time with Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, and Bill Murray to make this one of the funnies movies ever made. It's a hilarious movie that centers around a golf course. Some of the funniest parts of the movie are when a candy bar gets dropped in a pool and everybody thinks it's something else and Bill Murray trying to get rid of a gopher that makes Flipper sounds during the whole movie.
I can't stress how good of a comedy movie "Caddyshack" is, but trust me, if you like comedy movies with nonstop laughs all the way through, you need to get it. It's a true comedy classic in my book. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year I was born. Spectacular classic (the movie and the gopher, and the actors) of the early 80's.
July 7, 2007
This is one of those movies that has been on TV like a million times, but which I'd never before seen in its entirety, save for a few minutes here and there. Perhaps the reason for that is because it never really seemed like anything special to me. And lo and behold, my senses of perception were right on the money. Because that's exactly what this movie was: an average and uneven product of Hollywood's comedy factory. Even Bill Murray, who is usually so energetic and confident, gives a pretty lackluster performance. Not that he sucks or anything, but you can tell it's a very early role for him, as he has a look on his face that bares his inexperience. Altough falling short of greatness, however, it's a pretty amusing movie all-around. And you can't help but love the gimmick with the gopher.
½ March 7, 2009
Sweet action, this movie is funny. On of the ultimate 80s classic comedies.
January 16, 2009
Hilarious in every way imaginable. The different degrees of humour are supplied, thanks to the improvisational tactics of the cast. It's obvious that the as-libbed dialogue eats away at the story, but luckily it works out for the best. Murray and Chase have never been funnier and Dangerfield is a class act all the way. It's obvious to see the sketch/episodic styling of SNL at work but again this works out tremendously well. Similar to watching 3 (very good) stand up acts, joined by a simple but likable plot.
½ January 1, 2007
This has it's funny moments and is totally over the top.
February 19, 2008
Hillariously made
March 18, 2008
One of the funniest films ever made, right up there with Airplane! and The Holy Grail. A great ensemble cast put a hilarious spin on a sport that has to be considered the most boring ever created.
½ January 11, 2007
great comedy, one of the best sports movies of all time but a little overrated. bill murray was classic as always.