Call Me Bwana Reviews

• Nov 27, 2016

Frank Sinatra's frequent director, Gordon Douglas, take a shot (pun intended) at directing Bob Hope & Anita Ekberg in this average storied adventure, mystery - comedy. The talents on screen and off are what put this one over.

• Jun 21, 2015

so so vehicle for Bob Hope

so so vehicle for Bob Hope

• Jan 03, 2015

Another feeble 1960s Bob Hope comedy about him going to Africa to retrieve a moon capsule before the bad guys get it. Anita Edberg is one of the beautiful bad guys who uses here womanly charms on Bob. Edie Adams is Bob's partner in finding the missing McGuffin. Like most of Bob's pictures from this time, it's not very funny, but this film did contain a joke that I always remembered as a kit and still worked pretty well. The bad guys are trying to kill Bob and they put a deadly tarantula in his tend while he's asleep. The film does a big suspenseful build up with the spider crawling up Bob's arm (close-ups, dramatic music, etc.) and then Bob just casually brushes it off. There's also a bit where Bob golfs with Arnold Palmer that works fairly well too, but overall, it's still not so good.

• Oct 20, 2011

CALL ME BWANA (1963)

CALL ME BWANA (1963)

• Sep 13, 2010

I wasn't as sold on this one as the other Hope stuff I've seen recently, but it has a few moments that made me laugh. Otherwise, a lot of it felt like I was literally watching someone make a Bob Hope travelogue. Definitely something worth a peep on cable, but may not be worth tracking down for a rental unless you're a bigger fan than I appear to be.