Carry on Cleo (Caligula: Funniest Home Videos) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carry on Cleo (Caligula: Funniest Home Videos) Reviews

½ December 11, 2015
Excellent parody of cleopatra
December 4, 2015
Good, funny film (now on blu-ray) The costumes and much of the set came from the Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton film of the same year;
November 20, 2015
One of the better Carry Ons. Fun spoof on the Cleopatra legend. Nice use of costumes and sets here. The cast are starting to look tired looking (aka, I'm growing tired of them lol)
March 21, 2015
The first Carry On in color, but I found it a bit less amusing than the previous Spying entry. Lots of great double entendres but that was about it. Dale has a much larger role as the heroic English slave Horsa, but Williams is still the center of it all as Caesar.
February 22, 2015
Has one of the best lines in picture history, Caesar yelling infamy infamy they all have in in for me
December 23, 2014
The Carry on team on full form. Makes the Richard Burton Cleopatra seem very dull. They used the same sets and costumes for both films...
July 19, 2014
Okay - it was never in line to win an oscar, but it's great escapist fun. Totally ridiculous in every way and lovable because the film doesn't take itself seriously. The only decent costumes were worn by Sid James because they were allegedly made for Richard Burton when filming the 'real' Cleopatra!. I have a copy on DVD that I watch from time to time!
½ July 2, 2014
Every single line was as corny as it could possibly be. Still fun.
½ September 8, 2013
While this probably isn't the best Carry On film it is a lot of fun; it stars most of the regular Carry On cast including Kenneth Williams as Caesar and Sid James as his less than loyal friend Mark Anthony. The film begins in ancient Britain where two locals, Hengist and Horsa are captured and taken to Rome as slaves. They manage to escape and hide amongst the Vestal Virgins in the Temple of Venus. Here Horsa manages to kill five Roman soldiers when they attack Caesar; he then flees and everybody assumes it was Hengist who was the hero; he is promptly made Caesar's chief body guard and must accompany him to Egypt where Caesar believes he will forge an alliance with the beautiful Cleopatra... the viewer however knows that it is a trap being set by Mark Anthony who wishes to become Emperor and have Cleopatra for himself.

The outing for the Carry On team was a lot of fun; Kenneth Connor and Jim Dale were good as Hengist and Horsa and Amanda Barrie was suitable alluring as Cleopatra; however the best lines were reserved for Kenneth Williams... 'Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me' is a classic! Some people might not approve of the fact that the actor playing Cleopatra's African bodyguard is a blacked up white actor offensive but as he is so badly blacked up you can see white patched in places I found it more funny than offensive. As one might expect from such a film there is a lack of historical accuracy but that hardly matters, as it is not trying to be serious. While a few of the jokes are a little bit risqué there is nothing too offensive and although there are plenty of scantily clad women to provide mild titillation there is no nudity. If you are a fan of the Carry On films this is certainly one of the ones you really should watch.
½ May 29, 2013
Pretty good movie overall. I didn't learn much but there were a few laughs.
January 6, 2013
Probably the best of the franchise, Carry on Cleo used all the leftover props from the Elizabeth Burton film Cleopatra for a much better purpose. Lots of quotable lines, and a very British sense of humour prevails throughout. Definitely worth watching.
October 25, 2012
An amusing parody of the Elizabeth Taylor epic 'Cleopatra' (1963) that doesn't quite live up to expectations. Some gags work, others down't in this rewriting of history which, despite the title, focuses more on Julius Caesar and Mark Antony than the ditzy Queen of the Nile. Watch out for Kenneth Williams in top form.
½ April 20, 2012
One of the best of a very funny series!!
March 3, 2012
Best remembered for the Infamy quote by Kenneth Williams. Top stuff.
December 27, 2011
Surely one of the classic Carry On movies, Carry On Cleo sees the regular cast on fine form with the traditional British smut and innuendo. Has some great one-liners and double-entendres delivered with knowing ease by Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Joan Sims and Charles Hawtrey. The movie manages to poke fun at all those great Roman epics as slaves Hengist and Horsa battle the empire in a bid to return to Britain. While this is going on, Caesar (brilliantly played by Williams) sends the trusted Mark Anthony on a mission to form an alliance with Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt. Totally silly and harking back to a different, less politically correct era this 1964 film still makes me giggle.
½ June 6, 2011
Many do consider this as one of the best Carry on-adventures but I find it a bit to old and theatrical to my taste.

The cast is all here, and with good spirits, and you get of course the trademark witty jokes like

Bilius: Hail, Mark Antony!
Mark Antony: Hail - snow, rain, thunder, lighting - the lot! Julius in?

Opening scenes in pagan brittain is good and Kenny Williams makes a great coward Julius Ceasar, but when the story takes us to ancient Egypt the movie kind of halts and loses speed
December 28, 2010
The best of the Carry Ons.
October 22, 2010
My favourite Carry On film. It won't win any awards, but it's great fun.
½ July 20, 2010
Moderately funny and entertaining parody of the Elizabeth Taylor epic.
April 23, 2010
one of best & funniest in the series,great cast with williams & sid james stealing the film